Menu

Jessica (Trivium Academy) & other PLL users...

momto2Cs

I am really looking at Primary Language Lessons (likely the updated version) for fall when my ds will be in 2nd grade. I would first though like to know some more about it...

What areas of language arts are covered? What areas would I need to supplement?

Is it religious or secular?

What reading level would you say is needed? Ds is working on improving this - right now he's at a first grade level and can read, with little help, things like Green Eggs & Ham, etc., though it takes him a while. He's doing ETC 3.

Any other feedback on this would be great - thanks!

PLL is written for 2nd and 3rd graders. It covers all areas of language arts except for what we know as "formal" LA, i.e., names of the parts of speech. You do need to add something for spelling, but that's it. Oh, and handwriting/cursive if you're still working on that.

I like it because the lessons are short and focused. It's non-consumable. It's inexpensive. It doesn't take up much space. I wouldn't call it either secular or religious.... it's "morally strong" like that of our culture in 1911 when it was written.

I would hold off on any other LA focus until he's reading at a solid 2nd grade level even better 3rd grade level so he can build his fluency, and this is only my opinion so take that with a grain of salt. PLL could be done orally with him and it's meant for 2nd and 3rd grade. Phonics work is worth being the single focus, you won't get back this time where it can be the main focus for a while without hurting other studies.

Phonics and handwriting is all I would do for a while.

hth

I start PLL when they are done with ETC 5. That is, when they can effortlessly read the sentences in ETC 5 without help. So far the youngest to be at that point was a dd who had just turned 7. Before that we do simple copy work and narration. I like the new PLL better than the old. It stays open nicely and the print and images are much better. It's not what you would call religious, but once in a while there are things that touch on character. Those were in the old one too. I think there were a few Christian lessons, but they could be easily skipped.

I like it because the learning is not a "fill in the blanks" type of learning that is seperated from sentence structure. For example, instead of just filling in "to, too, or two" into blanks, the instructions were to copy out the whole sentence using those words correctly. It helps with learning sentence structure and learning to write.

I kept thinking that I needed a seperate writing program and grammar program. PLL does both in my opinion. It follows Susan Wise Bauer's writing plan for the elementary grades. PLL has copywork and dictation.

We waited to do this program until ds was spelling on a 2nd grade level. The dictation is very much 2nd grade stuff and ds just wasn't ready. You also need to make sure they are comfortable writing and doing larger portions of copywork. I agree waiting until they are reading solidly.

Beth

We waited to do this program until ds was spelling on a 2nd grade level. The dictation is very much 2nd grade stuff and ds just wasn't ready. You also need to make sure they are comfortable writing and doing larger portions of copywork. I agree waiting until they are reading solidly.

One thing I've done here, because I think dictation is a skill that can wait until they're a bit older, is to just continue with copywork on those dictation passages. And if the passage is very lengthy, I might have her do just one paragraph today, the 2nd paragraph tomorrow, and so on. This helps break it down for those who might still be having fine motor difficulties.

We've also done a lot of it orally at this point.