Menu

High School Writing - what should be stressed?

DD is 14 and in 9th grade - she has always hated to write. Well, I should clarify, she hates to write creatively. It's like pulling permanent teeth without pain-killers. Now, if I assign her a topic to research and let her write she does great and there are no complaints - although sometimes I have to set limits if she really likes a topic. If I ask her to take notes and make out-lines from history or science readings - no problem. If I ask her to write a persuasive essay on a topic of her choice - no problem. Write a narration for readings - no problem.

BUT, ask her to make up a character and write two paragraphs describing her character physically and his/her personality ---she will procrastinate for as long as possible, cry and tell me how stupid she is and that she can't possibly do that. OR if I ask her to write a paper about something that happened to her and her feelings/emotions through the event - forget it.

WHY IS THIS SO DIFFICULT? She has always been like this, but I want more from her for high school. Am I wrong? She has written a few creative writing assignments over the years that were very good - but they took weeks, procrastinating, threats, etc. My dh says to just forget it that all he recalls doing in college was research papers or compare/contrast.

Do I need a different approach and if so what? We've tried Writing Strands, Jump In, Abeka (early years), Shurley (early years) - the last two years we've been doing Learning Lang Lessons for Secondary and this year the HS level. She has liked the LL the most - until this year when it's required creative writing (making up a story about a character you develop).

My son is the exact opposite of your daughter Momtotkbb! He writes short stories, poetry, and song lyrics all day and night long. Trying to get him to write an essay or a report is a waste of time, in his eyes, since he can't turn it in to something creative.

Personnally, since your daughter's problem is with creative writing I would not stress it. College is all about essays and reports. If she had to do something creative she would probably try to avoid that particular course anyway.

WHY IS THIS SO DIFFICULT? She has always been like this, but I want more from her for high school. Am I wrong? She has written a few creative writing assignments over the years that were very good - but they took weeks, procrastinating, threats, etc. My dh says to just forget it that all he recalls doing in college was research papers or compare/contrast.

Do you also expect her to paint, act, compose music, and choreograph dance? Creative writing is an art form, for which some people have an aptitude and others don't. If she can write a solid research paper and a good persuasive essay, then she has the writing skills she'll need for college. If creative writing isn't her particular art form, then I wouldn't force her. I loved creative writing as a kid, and I was good at it, but if anyone had tried to force me to compose music I'd have been as miserable as your DD is. I'd let her find her own creative outlet.

Jackie

It's very rare that anyone needs to invent a character and write dialogue in real life, unless that they choose to become a novelist or scriptwriter. Most likely the creative writing part of the curriculum is meant to engage kids who have the opposite leanings as your daughter.

As she shows liking for and competency in the type of writing that is more likely to be asked of her in college, I'd drop the creative writing like a hot potato. If you really want to add an element of creativity to her writing course, perhaps begin expanding the types of ways in which she can approach a more typical research or analysis assignment.

I'm sure people can think of examples from other disciplines, but for instance, she could write a preface to a book she is reading and analyzing, either a serious, conventional preface or a more creative one in the voice of a character from that or another novel by the same author. She could write reviews of the way a novel is produced for the BBC or A&E. Try opening up options in this area rather than insisting she produce stories or fiction she hates doing.

I agree with the other posters. If you daughter can research, write persuasive essays, etc., then she is prepared for college, and I would focus on improving the essay format. However, if you think your daughter has the potential for creative writing, you might look at the underlying issue for the reluctance. Perhaps she doesn't have the basic tools for the assignments or she doesn't have mental models and a frame of reference. Reading good literature doesn't do this for some students. They can't make the jump from the style of a classic author to application in their own writing. They need to see examples of how students their own age write. One of the things that makes writing so difficult in the homeschool setting is the lack of peer models. Teens, especially, don't want to make mistakes or look dumb on paper, so examples provide a benchmark. I have been on forums and participated in yahoo groups for years, and there is a big vacuum in the writing discussion -- lack of student samples.

I would not require the creative writing as part of school, but there is nothing wrong with getting materials to read for understanding and possible application. Get library books on story writing. There are some good ones by children's authors like Gail Carson Levine. Look at "The Gift of Family Writing" for ideas on writing personal narrative. Oh yes, check out Nancie Atwell's book In the Middle for inspiration. Read portions of it with your daughter. The literature response journals are wonderful. Nancie is a joyful teacher. Jule Bogart's high school classes at Bravewriter can help bring out the creativity in academic writing. Julie helped one of our sons, a linear math guy, to write some stunning pieces.

P.S. Also, your daughter might enjoy Steve Peha's book, Be a Writer, which you can download from Currclick. Steve is a gifted educator and a professional writer, and his wife is a professional writer. Steve's book is written to the high school student and offers a window into the way professional writer's work. We are using Pattern Based writing this year for paragraph writing and basic essays, but these are all resources I look forward to using when dd is writing at the level of your daughter.

Edited by 1Togo