Menu

Writing programs for high school-Wordsmith Craftsman, Jensen Writing, Writing Strands

I'm looking for a different writing program for my 10th grader in the fall. What do use for a writing program in high school? Have you used Wordsmith Craftsman, Jensen Format Writing or Writing Strands? What are your opinons of these writing programs? What do you like about your writing program? What do you dislike?

I've used Wordsmith Craftsmen and Jensen's. Jensen's is quite dry. I also find it to be not the easiest to use. Don't think it is difficult to use, because it is not. It is just dry.

Wordsmith Craftsmen covers a variety of writing. I found their note taking section to be very helpful. It also covers outlining, letter writing, etc. If you want something strictly essay or paper writing, then Jensen's would be a better choice I think.

My 9th grader really, really struggles with writing. The whole writing process does not come easy for her. At the moment, I'm using Write Better Essays by Learning Express. It is geared toward improving essay writing for the SAT. But, dd is finding it very helpful. I guess it just clicks with her learning style. It breaks the process down into very simple steps so it is not so intimidating for those that are not writers. I found it at Books a Million.

We've not used Writing Strands so I can't comment on that one.

I think writing programs need to address the particular student's needs in some cases.

If the student is doing well, then I personally think it's important to step up to the type of writing where you take a stand and defend it. I think that type of writing can take several years to develop. I like what MCT says about the types of writing on the *last* page here:

http://www.rfwp.com/samples/about-research-papers.pdf

If your 10th grader is a strong writer, then I would look at MCT or IEW's "The Elegant Essay" and "Windows to the World." We also love The Lost Tools of Writing. However, I would suggest the Memoria Press class for LTW, and the writing will be easy for a strong writer. The invention work will be interesting, and the elocution work profitable. If your student needs work on the basics; i.e. paragraph writing and basic essays, take a look at Pattern Based Writing.

I laughed when I saw the 3 programs in your title as I just got 2 of the 3. I just bought Jensen's, Wordsmith Craftsman, and EPS Writing Skills Level 3 to evaluate for using with DD. She's a reluctant writer who is finally improving after using an earlier EPS Writing Skills level followed by Jump In. All three of my recent purchases are marketed for high schoolers but the EPS book looks much more basic (lots of hand-holding and still using small incremental steps). I decided to have DD run through this one quickly and finish the book in one semester.

Meanwhile, Craftsman sort of scared me off and made me decide to wait another year before tackling that. I'm not sure DD is ready for it.

I haven't finished reviewing Jensen's yet but I think we'll use it next, after EPS. Maybe by then we'll be ready for Craftsman. :glare:

Pegasus

Jensen's Format Writing is as dry as dust, but it's also very easy to see what you're learning. Dd didn't finish this, but did work with it. The two WordSmith books we have used (not the Craftsman) didn't do much with formal writing. We didn't like Writing Strands enough to continue into the high school level (or even middle school level); dd did all of 3 and part of 4. I haven't seen EPS.

I have two of the MCT writing books which we're using this year, and so far I like them the best. My middle one is doing Essay Voyage, which is the first in the essay writing level. It focuses on formal writing, which is quite disciplined, and on writing well. Because we have one dc at a time using it, we bought the TM, since the student text is included in that. We have tried other things, too, prior to the high school level, but none of that would be pertinant here.

Jensen's Format Writing is as dry as dust, but it's also very easy to see what you're learning. Dd didn't finish this, but did work with it. The two WordSmith books we have used (not the Craftsman) didn't do much with formal writing. We didn't like Writing Strands enough to continue into the high school level (or even middle school level); dd did all of 3 and part of 4. I haven't seen EPS.

I have two of the MCT writing books which we're using this year, and so far I like them the best. My middle one is doing Essay Voyage, which is the first in the essay writing level. It focuses on formal writing, which is quite disciplined, and on writing well. Because we have one dc at a time using it, we bought the TM, since the student text is included in that. We have tried other things, too, prior to the high school level, but none of that would be pertinant here.

Whats MCT?

I laughed when I saw the 3 programs in your title as I just got 2 of the 3. I just bought Jensen's, Wordsmith Craftsman, and EPS Writing Skills Level 3 to evaluate for using with DD. She's a reluctant writer who is finally improving after using an earlier EPS Writing Skills level followed by Jump In. All three of my recent purchases are marketed for high schoolers but the EPS book looks much more basic (lots of hand-holding and still using small incremental steps). I decided to have DD run through this one quickly and finish the book in one semester.

Meanwhile, Craftsman sort of scared me off and made me decide to wait another year before tackling that. I'm not sure DD is ready for it.

I haven't finished reviewing Jensen's yet but I think we'll use it next, after EPS. Maybe by then we'll be ready for Craftsman. :glare:

Pegasus

Have you done your review of Jensen's yet? I'd like to hear it.

Have you done your review of Jensen's yet? I'd like to hear it.

Yes, I took Jensen's to bed with me the other night and finished reviewing it. It is definitely no-nonsense and no-frills but looks perfect for our needs. It starts with different types of paragraphs but then spends just over 20 pages discussing and providing exercises on the different elements of the 5 paragraph essay (thesis statements, introductory paragraphs, transitions, body paragraphs, and concluding paragraphs).

The student then uses these elements in the next section as it teaches several different formats for essays (classification, definition, process, analogy, cause & effect, and comparison). It teaches one format at a time and the students are supposed to then produce 3 to 5 essays using that format (one at a time with a teacher providing feedback on each before they continue).

What I like about what I see is that Jensen doesn't assume that the student already understands HOW to write an essay. He really breaks it down and explains what each element is and why it is important. He then provides specific formats on each type of essay. . .these are almost a skeleton that students can then use for any subject, simply adding the "flesh" of information.

The book continues after the essay section and covers book reports, major papers, and condensing information. He provides check sheets and forms to show you how to grade the papers your student produces.

This program does not come with a schedule although he does offer some suggestions.

I wouldn't argue with the posters that call this program dry but for students that need explicit instruction and step-by-step explanations, it looks ideal!

Pegasus