Menu

If you make your own bread...share your recipes?

We don't have a bread machine since dh got rid of it. :glare: And I do not own a decent mixer. But, dd and I made a couple loaves of whole wheat bread this morning and used our hands to mix, punch and knead, etc. It was fun and therapeutic. Could you share your yummiest whole wheat bread recipes (or any!)? I found lots on the internet but was looking for some tried and true. I like to use honey instead of sugar. Today we used white whole wheat. Thanks!

This is my favorite bread ever... I got the recipe when I was a baker for our church's altar bread, but I'd always make a few extra loaves for the family... It's sweet and tasty! You can increase the whole wheat flour up to 2 cups of wheat and 2 cups of white, but don't go more than that... I've tried - unsuccessfully!

1 cup milk

1/2 cup honey

2 teaspoon salt

4 tablespoons butter

4 tablespoons warm water

1 teaspoon granulated sugar

2 packages active dry yeast, approx. 2 generous teaspoons

1 cup whole wheat flour

3 cups unbleached white flour, more as needed during kneading

1-2 teaspoon(s) olive oil

Heat milk until it bubbles. Remove from heat and add honey, salt and all but ½ tablespoon of the butter, stirring until the butter melts. Cool to lukewarm.

In a small bowl, dissolve sugar in the warm water. Sprinkle yeast over the top and swirl with a fork until yeast is moistened. Let stand in a warm draft-free spot * for 10 minutes and ensure that the yeast is alive by observing that it has begun to foam.

Sift together the flours into a large bowl and stir with a wire whisk to blend. Make a well in the center of the flour. Combine the milk and yeast mixtures and pour into the flour well. Mix with a fork until dough is stiff and leaves the sides of the bowl.

Turn dough onto a floured board and let stand while you wash and dry the mixing bowl and coat the bottom and sides with olive oil. Knead the dough 8 to 10 minutes adding more flour to keep the dough from sticking to the board or to your hands. Place dough in the oiled bowl and turn it to coat all sides with oil. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap punching two small holes in the top for circulation. Move the bowl to the warm draft-free spot *, and let the dough rise until double in size – about 2 to 3 hours.

Coat a cookie sheet with the last ½ tablespoon of butter. Turn the dough onto a floured board, punch down to the original size and divide if desired into 2 or more loaves. Roll and shape the loaves into flat circles, arrange them on the cookie sheet, cover loosely with a kitchen towel dusted with flour, and move them to the warm draft-free spot as above. In about 1½ - 2 hours the loaves should have doubled in size again.

Remove the sheet with the loaves from the oven and raise the temperature to 375°. When the oven reaches temperature return the sheets to the oven and bake until dark golden brown– about 15 to 20 minutes. Remove to a wire rack to cool.

This is the "official" Bosch recipe; it's the only one I make:

100% Whole Wheat Bread (Directions for

Bosch Mixer, but can be made by hand)

(makes about 4 loaves)

5-6 cups hot tap water (hot to the touch;not hot enough to burn finger)

2/3 c. oil

2/3 c. honey

2 tbsp. Kitchen Specialties dough enhancer

2 tbsp instant yeast

2 tbsp salt

2 tbsp vital wheat gluten

12-16 cups freshly milled whole wheat flour

Pour warm water into Bosch mixing bowl. Add approximately 6 cups flour on top of liquid. Then add dough enhancer, oil, honey, yeast, and gluten. Use the (M) momentary switch to mix well.

Add approx. 5 additional cups flour, and salt. Turn to speed 2. Continue ading flour 1/4 cup at a time until the dough pulls away cleanly from the sides of the bowl. Continue kneading on speed 2 for another 5 minutes.

Oil or grease hands and counter. Divide dough into equal portions and shape into loaves. Put into well greased pans. Let rise till double in size. Bake 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown on top. Remove from pans and cool on wire rack. Top of loaves can be rubbed with water or butter for shiny appearance. Dough can be used for pizza crust or cinnamon rolls.