Menu

Key to Algebra for Algebra I?

it's a great program to use as an introduction for a younger student or to help someone who is struggling in a specific area, but Key to Algebra isn't enough if the student will go on to take more advanced math (Algebra 2, trig).

This fall, I tutored a girl who had used Key to Algebra for Algebra 1. She did OK in Geometry the following year, but then was struggling mightily with Algebra 2 this year. During our session, it became quite clear that lack of Algebra 1 skills and understanding were the problem.

"Key to" provides pretty good explanations and practice in basic areas of Algebra 1, but it lacks more difficult problems. Also, although a few word problems are given, there are not enough to develop a student's ability to tackle them with confidence. If the student will go on to higher science, like Chemistry and Physics, the homework will essentially be all word problems, and the student will need to be able to interpret them and solve them mathematically.

Brenda

Edited by Brenda in MA

I'm not personally familiar with it, but I know that one of the homeschool supply stores that sells it here does, indeed, present it as a full program. This might be one of those 'opinion' type things - some say yes, some say no. :)

Even Key Press calls it an "Introduction" to algebra, not an algebra 1 program. I would call presenting it as a full program a ... "mistake" ... if not flat out misleading.

Even Key Press calls it an "Introduction" to algebra, not an algebra 1 program. I would call presenting it as a full program a ... "mistake" ... if not flat out misleading.

I'm not sure what "Algebra 1" actually means (we don't follow the public school designations for specific classes - math is math is math and we just keep moving along) - but I guess it could depend on how much algebra you planned on covering?

It isn't my dog though ~ I was just mentioning what the lady at the store had said. :)

I'm not sure what "Algebra 1" actually means (we don't follow the public school designations for specific classes - math is math is math and we just keep moving along) - but I guess it could depend on how much algebra you planned on covering?

It isn't my dog though ~ I was just mentioning what the lady at the store had said. :)

Well, if you were planning on moving into a standard Algebra II curriculum, the Algebra I curriculum needs to be thorough enough. If you're changing series (which you would be, since Key to Algebra ends), gaps are a very real concern.

This is part of the review by Cathy Duffy that my friend referenced:

This series of ten workbooks is equivalent to a complete first year algebra course, although less difficult than most. ....... While Key to Algebra can be a full, first-year algebra course, it can also be used for review or as a gentle introduction, possibly using only the first seven books before a student begins a rigorous algebra course. Students who plan to go on to an Algebra II course should probably choose a more rigorous first year course.

I wonder if you paired this with MUS?:confused::001_huh::tongue_smilie:

I hate math programs!

rigorous text. I would also use the other Keys to books as part of a prealgebra year.

This is part of the review by Cathy Duffy that my friend referenced:

This series of ten workbooks is equivalent to a complete first year algebra course, although less difficult than most. ....... While Key to Algebra can be a full, first-year algebra course, it can also be used for review or as a gentle introduction, possibly using only the first seven books before a student begins a rigorous algebra course. Students who plan to go on to an Algebra II course should probably choose a more rigorous first year course.

I wonder if you paired this with MUS?:confused::001_huh::tongue_smilie:

I hate math programs!