Menu

OhElizabeth, just got Brain Gym Teacher's Edition, the new 2010

Leonor

It is an in depth look at the 26 activities of Brain Gym.

It is a detail explanation of Brain Gym.

In the 3rd Chapter: For each of the 26 activities it has a picture and describes the activity in detail, gives tips, coaching variations, perceptual/cognitive funtion the activity may access, academic skills the activity may enhance, behavioral/postural correlates, related movements, how it worked for someone(testimonial), the history of the activity.

Actually the following is quoted from the introduction:

"Chapter 1: Details the theories behind those physical skills of learning that lead to mental achievement,...offers a summary of brain areas and how these are currently thought to relate to movement, perception, an cognition."

It describes the Four Brain Gym Categories of Movement and their related functions.

"Organization-- Energy Exercises and Deepening Attitudes

Focus--The lengthening Activities

Communication-The Midline Movements"

Chapter 2: "Provides an overview of how to use and immediately benefit from the 26 Brain Gym activities"

Ch. 3: is what I described above--"Offers photos of young people doing Brain Gym movements along with in-depth explanations of each activity. "

Ch.4" Shares innovative ideas for teachers and parents about how to implement the activities"

HTH,

Maury

Interesting! Have you started it yet? I was reading a book last night (I forget which one, I have a pile and most of them lately have gotten thrown at the wall), and it was complaining that BrainGym gives temporary benefits. Of course temporary would be better than nothing, lol. However the rest of the comments in the book were SO stupid and generalized, I tend to take the man's comments with a grain of salt. But the whole idea of BrainGym does make sense to me. Oh, I should ask our OT! The changes with VT and even just crawling and bilateral things I've done with her so far have stuck, so I see no reason why BG wouldn't if you did it enough. You'd be creating pathways in the brain, physical changes.

Well if it impressed you this much, then I'm impressed. Interesting! Now you need to search through it and see if there are exercises that would make foreign language vocabulary stick. That would be something! :)

• 2 months later...

Sorry to bring up this old post, but I wondered whether anyone was doing Brain Gym. I just happened to come upon it today and I've been looking for something to do with dd to incorporate more movement into her day. It looks perfect for her!!

Better yet, one of the amazon comments noted that there are Youtube videos. I still plan to get the book, but there's one video that's about 5 minutes that looks perfect for waking up dd when she's dragging. She mihgt even think it's something related to the P90X that I haven't done in ages :lol: (speaking of which, I could really use some motivation. wouldn't it be a hoot if this got me going again).

Nope. I got "See It, Say It, Do It" from the library and need to go through it to write out some ideas. So many ideas, so litle time, kwim? For us, the OT stuff the night before is better than that morning. Dramatically shifts her stim level and gets her going.

Thanks Elizabeth!! I know what you mean about the time. I have finally reached a point where I'm attempting to write out a schedule - not a lesson plan (already have that, weekly) but a daily schedule with actual times and such - I'm not optimistic that it will be followed.

I'll have to check out that book (cuz I need another one :D)

DD is now into trying these exercises, just for fun

Thanks for the tip about doing it at night. DD did it tonight, probably just procrastinating going to bed, so we'll see.

I've looked into but haven't pursued. Interestingly enough there is a SN school for ASD in FL that I once looked at that uses BG as part of their morning routine. I did find a BG teacher here who of course had wonderful things to say about the program but there's SO many therapies I want to dabble in with my ds that I have to pick and choose. (My priority therapy right now is Social Skills and CARD out of UCF will be having a SS class over the summer using Michelle Garcia Winner's program!!!) Brain Gym makes sense to me, along the lines of patterning (Doman).

Well I can't say whether it was our 5 minutes of Brain Gym this morning, or the new schedule I wrote up, or the extra vitamins :lol:, but dd managed to get through her entire schedule for the day, on time :)

We also did another 5 minutes in the middle of day when she was looking tired. She thinks it's fun. I ordered the book but I still haven't had the chance to look through other videos out there.

Nope. I got "See It, Say It, Do It" from the library and need to go through it to write out some ideas. So many ideas, so litle time, kwim? For us, the OT stuff the night before is better than that morning. Dramatically shifts her stim level and gets her going.

Have you looked at "See it" yet? I'm such a dope - I didn't realize it was Hellerstein's book until I went to her website to get the phone number (I finally decided to take my boys there for their annual checkups). Fortunately the library has it at another branch, so I'll have it in a few days. From reading the description, it sounds like it might be the sort of book I'd like to add to my growing collection.

I can never seem to get around to reading library books. I've got another that I have already renewed once and is due again next week. Oddly, I seem more likely to read a book if I buy it. That makes no sense!