Menu

A typical 7th grade school day?????

I was just wondering what your typical 7th grade school day consists of if you dont mind sharing. I am trying to figure out if I am making it to hard or to easy for my DD who is in the 7th grade and will move on to the 8th grade in August. We use Abeka curriculum for english, spelling, history, health, and science. For math we have used different things because she struggles in math. I also have an Abeka of people literature book but we have not gotten to use it much. I feel like we do not have enough time in the day to do all that we have to do. She wants to learn spanish and she loves to practice her typing with her Mavis Beacon software but we dont seem to have enough time in the day for her to do the two. The spanish we have is just a simple hooked on spanish program that is for beginners but we still dont seem to have time. Any suggestions would be great....

Is there a lot of busy work in the textbooks your daughter is using? My goal is to always consider what I want my kids to learn, and have them do enough to ensure they learn it. Anything else is busy work, and usually gets ditched. My 7th grader is using Abeka science, but she doesn't do the quizzes or write out the review sections, etc.

My 7th grader's typical day looks like this:

Math (before my youngest wakes up because he ADORES her and distracts her completely)

Latin

*get distracted by little brother*

Logic (Art of Argument)

Literature/Grammar/Composition (we don't do spelling)

History (4 days a week... sometimes 5)

Science (3 days a week or so)

*get distracted by little brother who is now happy that she's done and can play*

Even with the distractions, she's usually done about 2pm, except for the days we're at the ice rink. On those days, it takes her a bit longer.

Science

History

Unitedstreaming video & breakfast

Math

Grammar/Lit/Writing & assigned reading

Spanish & Cherokee Language

Test Prep & Flashcards

We also do Yoga 2x a week and Science museum class 1x a week and Science Jim classes for some science fun.

The days are long right now but we like our curriculum choices so it is going really well. :D

Science

History

Unitedstreaming video & breakfast

Math

Grammar/Lit/Writing & assigned reading

Spanish & Cherokee Language

Test Prep & Flashcards

We also do Yoga 2x a week and Science museum class 1x a week and Science Jim classes for some science fun.

The days are long right now but we like our curriculum choices so it is going really well. :D

May I ask what united streaming is? I am looking it up now but if you could tell me a bit about it I would be greatful.... thanks.

Is there a lot of busy work in the textbooks your daughter is using? My goal is to always consider what I want my kids to learn, and have them do enough to ensure they learn it. Anything else is busy work, and usually gets ditched. My 7th grader is using Abeka science, but she doesn't do the quizzes or write out the review sections, etc.

My 7th grader's typical day looks like this:

Math (before my youngest wakes up because he ADORES her and distracts her completely)

Latin

Logic (Art of Argument)

Literature/Grammar/Composition (we don't do spelling)

History (4 days a week... sometimes 5)

Science (3 days a week or so)

*get distracted by little brother who is now happy that she's done and can play*

Even with the distractions, she's usually done about 2pm, except for the days we're at the ice rink. On those days, it takes her a bit longer.

I think there is alot of busy work in the books. I am going to try a different strategy with her and see if we cant make things more fun for her.

Unitedstreaming is also known as Discovery Streaming. It is a subscription site that has tons of educational videos and teacher tools. I love it because after we read something in science or history we can search up a video to watch on that topic. There are lots of language and math videos too. We use it everyday. Homeschoolbuyerscoop.com usually has a discount deal on it if you want to get a subscription. Their discount is good.

https://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org/index.php?option=com_hsbc_epp_order&Itemid=1036

Our schedule:

Monday

8-9 - Bible, geography and chemistry workbooks, reading

9-10 - Math (just his outside class)

10-11 Language arts: Vocab, Grammar, Lit/Writing

11-12 Languages: Latin and Greek

12-1 Lunch

1-1:30 - Logic (which I've been ignoring - a LOT)

1:30-3:30 History/Lit

He has an outside algebra class and an hour long piano lesson on this day which interrupt this flow somewhat, because the piano time is not accounted for in my school schedule, but he still manages to get it mostly done. He reads during driving time back and forth to these lessons.

Tuesday

8-9 - same

9-10 - homework from math class

10-11 Language Arts: same

11-12 Spanish (outside class only)

12-1 Lunch

1-1:30 Logic

1:30-3:30 Chemistry

His Spanish class ended up being moved to 8:30, so that pushes everything else later, but again, he is able to get it done. He reads in the car going back and forth.

Wednesday

8-9 - same

9-10 - math homework

11-12 Languages: Latin and Greek

12-1 Lunch

1:30-3:30 History/Lit

He has an art class from 2:30-4 that I did not account for in my scheduling, so this cuts into our history time. It is further away and I usually either have him reading on the way there and back or if there are some books that I need to get covered, I may put them on tape so that he can listen to them going and coming, or use a book on tape at this time, etc....

Thursday

8-9 - same

9-10 Math drill work at home using Russian Math 6

11-12 Languages: Spanish - work in Barron's Spanish Grammar the Easy Way

12-1 Lunch

1 - 1:30 Logic

1:30 - 3:30 Chemistry

Okay, so this day got totally blown by the fact that at the last minute we decided to put him into both a lit/writing class, which is from 11-12 and also in an afternoon coop to cover PE, a group guitar lesson, and he did a play last semester (doing chess this semester).

He shifts all his reading to the time period when we'll be in the car and usually can get all his written work done before we leave. If not, he brings it along and we have some time between lit, lunch and the start of coop when we can work on things.

For science, I either have things on tape if there's reading I need to cover, have him reading things himself, or shift the work to Friday, when I've allowed for a lighter day.

Friday

8-9 - same

9-10 - continue Russian Math

10-11 - I usually don't have any grammar or vocab scheduled, so he is doing a combination of things during this time period such as timeline work, map work, history/lit related writing for me, other writing, etc.

11-12 Languages: Latin and Greek and we're usually doing a review in Greek on Fridays....

12-1 Lunch

1:30 - 3:30 History/Lit and/or Science

I often schedule field trips for Fridays, so we are often running on this day, too and taking his work in the car with us so that we can get it done!

7th grade:

Math

Latin

Writing

English

Lunch

French

Religion

Science

History

Humanities

My only suggestion for fitting more in is to start earlier in the morning. :D

My dd starts at 6:30 sharp. If we don't stick to our start time, we don't get everything done.