Menu

young earth science options?

jtcarter14

Ok, what about young earth science options for 4th & 5th graders? What do you and your kids really love?

I thought I was going to go with Apologia but am not crazy about all the busy work that the sample pages show. I know experiments are important, but I'm not up for crafts and such as far as science goes. :001_huh:

Thanks!

You could skip the crafts. Anything science needs to have a big hands-on component, though. If you can find time to do the experiments, that would help them visualize and have a deeper understanding of scientific processes. Honestly, I think the more hands-on with science, the better. I think even the crafts serve a purpose.

Apologia is a good program, though...especially if you're looking for "young earth" science.

Ok, what about young earth science options for 4th & 5th graders? What do you and your kids really love?

I thought I was going to go with Apologia but am not crazy about all the busy work that the sample pages show. I know experiments are important, but I'm not up for crafts and such as far as science goes. :001_huh:

Thanks!

We are using God's Design for Science from Answers in Genesis. At first I wasn't thrilled with it but I'm finding that my 4th grader is enjoying it and asks to do science. She is remembering more than I thought she would also. The reading part of the lessons is short and there is usually a short worksheet or an experiment for each lesson. We are using God's Design for the Physical World this year. Next year I think I'll use God's Design for Life.

The only problems I have are:

1. The reading is very dry. I haven't used the other books so maybe it is just the Physical Science is dry.

2. There are 3 books for each area of science. Each book has 35 lessons. I feel overwhelmed with the number of lessons to try and get through. I think we will only get through 2 books this year for Physical Science.

Kelly