Menu

Er...ok...good luck with that (NYT article on Kindy class with 60 students)

I went to a traditional elementary school 1st through 4th grade. Then a new elementary school was built, which used the open classroom "pod" design, and I attended it for 5th and 6th grade. I remember thinking at the time that it was ridiculous and no one was learning anything.

One of those years we did a self paced math curriculum. I finished it early in the year and then had nothing to do for math for months. Awful. It was a complete waste of two years.

Is that because they're broke and can't afford more teachers?

I don't know if it's because they can't afford more teachers, but, yes, they're broke and aren't using it on more teachers. Not necessarily unrelatedly but there have been several scandals involving the discovery of misappropriation of funds on a grand scale. Rather than some new style of education. Although I think they did start using volunteer tutors to teach reading last year.

Hmmm...I got lost trying to understand why someone would try to construct a model for translating what works with high school students at an exclusive private school to first grade in Crown Heights. Quite an intuitive leap--into--chaos?