Menu

Planning ahead: Ideas for my 3rd grader in the fall

Kfamily

I'm trying to rise up and challenge my younger dd. She will be a 3rd grader this fall. I'm going to change her English work by the end of this month, and this will carry over into next year (I hope :D), but the rest I will save for the fall. I'd love some feedback on some ideas I have for her.

English:

Note: I would love to use MCT all the way, but budget-wise I can't see spending the money when I have so much at home here. I may still add in Paragraph Town, but I am not sure yet. This is making use of what I have already.

Modern English Lessons (Google book pdf)

Imitations in Writing (some Aesop Fables and all of Fairy Tales)

Dictation

Narrations

Copywork

Sentence Composing for Elem. School

Italics handwriting books (She's nearly done with C and I have D next.)

I also have montessori-style grammar cards, worksheets, etc. that I could add for grammar supplement. We will start this in Feb. of this year and use this all of next year too. I also have Imitations in Writing Greek Heroes that we will go into next. I also have Intermediate Lang. Lessons and Rod and Staff Grade 4 (which I don't care for, but have if needed as a supplement) which I could use if needed. With all of this available, I just can't see spending more, but if this doesn't work then I would be willing to try something else. I can't see putting her in Homer yet, but I have that when she's ready.

Math:

I have all the levels for R&S except grade 7 (so 1-6 and 8) and almost all of Singapore's levels. I would use Singapore 3 for her and have the R&S for supplement. I would add supplements such as CWP, etc. to this.

Science:

I have Burgess Bird book planned, a biography of John Audubon, and some other assorted books. I need to look at this more. I may also do Madame How and Lady Why which is a CM style book on Earth Science.

History:

I will probably do two chains of history as we usually do. This would be American History and Ancient History through Greece.

For Ancient History through Greece:

I could use Famous Men of Greece

I also have Men of Athens by O. Coolildge

We would use Introduction to Classical Studies guide for D'Aulaires Greek Myths and the Golden Children's Bible. (I would save FMOR for 4th grade.)

I have plenty of books to supplement such as The Children's Homer, Jason and the Golden Fleece, The Trojan War, The Heroes (Kingsley), etc.

I have The Pharaohs of Ancient Egypt as well.

I'm trying to challenge her but I have time to put some of this in front of her again later. What do you think? Reading level is not a problem here. She's reading The Fellowship of the Ring and is nearly finished. She may read The Two Towers next, but it is up to her of course.

Languages:

French: We're still using and will continue with L'Art de Lire. We're finishing up Level 2 and will finish 3 and 4 by end of summer for sure. I need to add supplements to this, but ...

Greek: they both started but didn't finish Code Cracker, but both are still complaining with me-I've been the problem here-and want to continue on with this and more.:svengo:

Latin: I've put this off with her so far since I can't find one I like to fit her. I could use Latina Christiana since I have it, but I'm still unsure... I know she's ready, but I'm not sure where to go with her.

ETA: I forgot, we're covering German in a very light way too.

We'll have art, piano, music and ballet as well. I have Geography covered as well, although I would love to use the Map the World by Heart (Is that the right title, the one by Ellen McHenry?) and I may still try to get this.

Oh well, sorry this is so long...

Any advice or feedback. I'm already overwhelmed and behind with my 8th grader whose soon to be a high schooler. My younger dd needs a challenge. I know she needs me to do this now!

Edited by Kfamily

Thanks WendyK! Yes, I have plenty of ideas and need to narrow this down.:001_smile: The science is weak, I need to spend more time on this subject. The languages are hard. The plan is to do only two, but my girls love them and keep pestering me for more. I will keep the French and try to decide between Latin and German. I could wait another year for Latin, but I'm not sure. I'll wait and see how she feels about German and decide later. The Greek...hmmm, I don't have time for it, but the girls want to learn it. I may let them do this on their own. UGH!

This is definitely too much. I will narrow down the Ancient History choices too. I'll save some for later.

Any opinions or advice on the Ancient History?

I was thinking maybe these (to narrow it down)

Classical Studies guide for Golden Children's Bible and D'Aulaires Greek Myths

The Pharaohs of Ancient Egypt

Either Famous Men of Greece or Men of Athens?

I'm thinking The Heroes by Kingsley for literature and maybe one more...

What do you think?

Any opinions or advice on the Ancient History?

I was thinking maybe these (to narrow it down)

Either Famous Men of Greece or Men of Athens?

I'm thinking The Heroes by Kingsley for literature and maybe one more...

What do you think?

How about SOTW I ? :D Ds LOVES D'Aulaires Greek and Norse Myths. I'd consider adding the Norse myths (unless you want to stay in Greece/Rome/Egypt). We found Pharoah's of Ancient Egypt less than thrilling... But haven't found a suitable replacement. If you got the SOTW I AG, you could add any interesting additional reading that is listed week by week. Just my $0.02. :)

Edited by Medieval Mom

Thanks!

Yes, I do want to save the Norse myths for next year, but I definitely intend to cover them. I agree about Pharaohs of Ancient Egypt. It looks less than thrilling to me too, but like you, I'm not sure what to replace it with. I do have The Ancient World by Dorothy Mills, but I'm afraid that may be too much right now. Hmmm, it might work...I'll have to look at that. I don't have SOTW since we use books from AO, but I do have the activity guide and it would be easy to pick that up. They have it at all of the book stores. I might think about that too.

Thank you!:001_smile:

Thanks!

Yes, I do want to save the Norse myths for next year, but I definitely intend to cover them. I agree about Pharaohs of Ancient Egypt. It looks less than thrilling to me too, but like you, I'm not sure what to replace it with. I do have The Ancient World by Dorothy Mills, but I'm afraid that may be too much right now. Hmmm, it might work...I'll have to look at that. I don't have SOTW since we use books from AO, but I do have the activity guide and it would be easy to pick that up. They have it at all of the book stores. I might think about that too.

Thank you!:001_smile:

We, too, are using AO (but with SOTW ;) ). :)

Yay for Norse Myths! :)

It sounds like you have everything under control and are gearing up for a fantastic year. Enjoy! :seeya:

I'm not impressed with the Classical Studies guide at all, better suited to K or 1st with an average learner, but I would recommend Memoria's three volume Christian Studies and the D'Aulaire's guide. Lots of map and memory work. I would start CS volume 1 now to see if you like it. My dd keeps a notebook with the maps, memory verses and compositions that she occasionally writes, drawings from extra research that she was interested in doing, notes she may had taken, etc. These guides allow both of you to go deep and that is the key with accelerated children, with any child really.

Science is a perfect opportunity to foster critical thinking and if you like to create your own plans, any book or text with illustrations will do. Google Bloom's Taxonomy science. Pull out some factual information to be memorized on the chapter. I like to use Everything You Need to Know About Science Homework http://www.amazon.com/Everything-Need-About-Science-Homework/dp/0439625440 for that purpose. Read it aloud and share your excitement about the material. Tell about your own personal experiences related to the topic. For example, when we studied flowers last year I used library books, the diagram on flower parts and photosynthesis from the book linked above and I started off telling the story about the wildflowers I brought home as a child and the spider we found on them while eating dinner. Seemingly pointless, but depending on a child's interest it is enough to get an accelerated child talking about bugs on plants and why they are there, what they do for the plant, how plants are changed by bugs, etc. I've used standard science programs for my average learners, but with the gifted ones I pull together my own. Be systematic.

I too would narrow the languages down to one or two for now. In our excitement we want to share everything with our children, but it is to their advantage to avoid touching the surface of many things. Always leave time and space to go deep and don't plan the direction until your dd has begun to explore a topic. A Hallmark of a good, gifted program are critical thinking opportunities and child lead exploration.

Love2read,

I have the old verison of Classical Studies which includes the guide to D'Aulaire's Greek Myths, The Golden Children's Bible and Famous Men of Rome all in one. We'll probably save the FMMR section until the following year.

You're right about going deeper. I love your ideas for science. In fact, dd has shown so much interest in astronomy that I've decided to add that in for next year. I'll probably follow an approach similiar to the one you outlined since I cannot find a text I like for astronomy.

Thanks!