Menu

Could I hang a brass chandelier in the breakfastroom? Could I put lamp shades on it?

New house has a chandelier in the dining room that matches the fixture in the entry way. For now, I'll leave it that way.

Problem is, now I don't know what to do with my beautiful brass chandelier that dh and I bought with our first dining room set over 25 years ago... it's a traditional brass chandelier with two tiers of light, very heavy, very good quality. I love this chandelier and intend to use it somehow... it just doesn't go with the other fixtures in the formal area and I can't justify the expense of replacing them when there are other priorities around here (like window coverings! LOL)

Because the chandelier is so traditional, I'm wondering if I couldn't somehow dress it down with lamp shades and use it in the breakfast room. Maybe golden or red lamp shades (I have cherry cabinets stained a rich golden color, black appliances, light terra-cotta colored tile, and solid surface countertops that are almost a sage green - sounds weird but the golden/sage/terracotta blends nicely and a rustic red would be a good accent color, I think).

So, have you ever seen anyone hang a dining room chandelier in their breakfast room? Am I nuts? Help! I'm decorating challenged! LOL

In principle, I think you could easily do this. Glamming it up in every room of the house is the decorating trend nowadays.

Of course, not seeing the chandelier or your home makes any concrete advice difficult. In theory, though, I don't think there's a problem.

_________

btw, I'm so glad to see you here, Robin. I was just going through and organizing paperwork and read through some old posts from the old board about theories and practices of homeschooling. Your post was very helpful - still. Somehow, I hadn't 'seen' you yet on the new boards.

While house hunting 2 years ago we looked at a house with a dining room chandelier over the bathtub.

I'd think putting one in the breakfast room is pretty tame compared to that.

BTW, I always wondered how putting a chandelier over the bathtub met code.

Oh, thanks for the encouragement! YEs, the look in the kitchen area is definitely tuscan and it is a very roomy kitchen and breakfast room - so propportion will be fine - the current fixture in the breakfast room now is not much smaller than my chandelier in height and width, it's just simpler and it's a dark iron color.

I have a picture of my chandelier saved as a jpeg file, and I would post it here if I knew how to upload the picture to the body of my post. Anyone know I can do this?

Regena, my old chandelier is not quite as large as the one currently in the dining room... the one in there is broader and has a LOT of crystal - the huge fixture in the foyer is all crystal, too... that's why I want to leave them together. I can dress down the brass before I can dress down the crystal.

And yeah... I feel pretty good about the fact that I'm at least not trying this in the bathroom! LOL

Thanks, y'all!!

Robin