Menu

Complementing SWR and a reading program

eesmom

100EZL might not confuse her (although it's possible as they are very different methods) but it won't help with SWR. Honestly, you don't need it. SWR has worked really well teaching my two oldest to read. It was stealthy and painless for us. My 6yo's first reader was Green Eggs and Ham[/] once we got to list I and he improved rapidly from there. My 4yo has taken off just with knowledge of the phonograms. He won't even start the lists until this summer when he starts Kindy.

I will voice an opposing view.:001_smile:

If 100EZ is working for your dd, stick with it until it's done. You have all the time in the world to start SWR.

I used SWR, and it did NOT produce a spontaneous reader like the author claims. My ds has visual processing issues that would have prevented him from "clicking" with any program, probably...and he learned lots with SWR...but I am NOT using it for a "learn-to-read" program with my younger two dc, for certain.;)

I've done it both ways. I had one that I taught to read before he ever started SWR and the others picked up reading from SWR. It can work either way but I wouldn't use them together, there's just no point. It would be overkill and possibly confusing for the child. Keep in mind that if you go the SWR route, it possible, even likely, that it will be a lot of instructional time before your child can read outside of her spelling book. There is nothing wrong with that in and of itself but some people prefer that their child read sooner rather than later. Nothing wrong with that either but if that is your goal, SWR isn't likely to produce that result. Since the program would not fit those needs you would need to use something else even if you desire to come back to SWR for spelling instruction.

So, do most of you who use SWR not use a reading program separately?

Why would you need to?

By "reading program," do you mean "something which teaches my dc how to read," or "vocabulary-controlled readers with accompanying workbooks"? If you mean the first one, then no, you certainly don't need that if you're doing SWR (it's "Spell to Write and Read," after all); if you mean the second, then no, you don't need that, either, as your dc will be reading real books in no time at all, which will be much more satisfying and interesting.

I think you should do what makes you feel more comfortable. If it will make you anxious if your daughter is not reading quickly, perhaps you should try a reading program first. I started SWR with my daughter and she was not reading well at all. I was very worried b/c dyslexia runs in our family and she just did.not.get.it. After worrying for a while and getting anxious about it, I switched to Webster's and ElizabethB's Kindy reading program (all available for free) after 100EZL and OGTPR failed to help her understand how to blend. Once she did ElizabethB's reading recommendations she started blending (Webster's starts with two letter syllables so it was easier for her to pick up the blending) so we stuck with Webster's for a long while. Now we've moved on to Phonics Road level One with Webster's alongside it for reading (SWR was too hard for me and PR was similar but with more guidance for me the teacher). I really love Webster's and I'd probably have stuck with it alone if I had not already bought Phonics Road... It's excellent.

So that's the long road I've traveled if it makes you feel any better, LOL. My daughter is now able to read using the phonograms from SWR/Phonics Road after learning to blend from the Webster's program, so I think if your daughter can blend basic CVC words you could just stick with the SWR and controlled readers to give her confidence. But- your situation is going to be different from everyone else's, so your going to find your own path and what works for you. So do what makes you feel comfortable. I don't think 100EZL would conflict with SWR in a way that you couldn't come back from, but there is an SWR yahoo group that has some files on 100EZL that might be helpful for you. You could see what the other SWR users say about mixing the two groups. Just go to yahoo groups and look up SWR.

Hope it helps and let us know how it turns out! Good luck!

Thank you everyone! I do appreciate the time and thought that you all take to answer questions! What a community.

I am going to do 100EZL until my SWR comes and then reassess once we start with the phonograms. If it seems redundant, then I will stop the 100EZL and just continue with SWR.

I think in the back of my mind, I am a bit impatient and want my DD to read earlier than later and know that her spelling will just be all the more strong with the SWR program added on.

Thanks again and have a great school day!

Sylvia:001_smile:

I think Blend Phonics would be a good lead in, but I wouldn't use both at once. For most of the phonograms, BP teaches all the sounds (so 3 sounds for "ea"). I would teach the ABC phonograms, then start BP, then move to SWR at an older age. You can have the child spell with the blend phonics words just as easily as SWR's words. I'm "backing up" with my DS6 and doing that. He did NOT like the think to spell, I decided he needed to do more normal sounding words before trying things like "love".

My current 4 year old will be doing Webster's thanks to Elizabeth's thread, with lots of spelling.

I see 2 problems with SWR and a young child: it's to abstract (meaning the exceptions like some, of; not the use of longer phonograms or that words are mixed) and it's to much writing.

I will say that SWR helped me and my 8yo. It taught him to HEAR the sounds (and hopefully not add phantom sounds), and it helped me teach him.

Amy

We just add Sonlight readers once we get to List I which is when SWR directs you to start adding in reading assignments.

:iagree: We've used SWR from the very beginning and I'm absolutely amazed at the results. In our case, the author's claims are true... SWR has produced a spontaneous and fluent reader.

Wait for it... Wait for it... Wait. For. It. Wow! Listen to what he's reading! :thumbup:

For us, it did not require an additional "reading program" per se or "torture reading" either for that matter, just lots of quality books readily available once it truly just "clicked". I realize that SWR does not work the same for everyone, if at all for some, but unfortunately it seems as though using SWR as a whole program (that is, spelling your way into writing and reading) is often portrayed in an unfavorable light on this board. I guess this is why I feel I must divulge that my little man can be included as a SWR success story, for those of you who want to know the positive side of what can happen when you follow very closely to its recommendations as the author prescribes (w/only minor tweaking ;)).

For me, it really came down to deciding from the very beginning whether it was more important to...

1 - take the time to provide my little man with a solid foundation and tools needed to tackle new words forevermore - not worrying about what family, friends, etc. thought of him not reading for a while, or...

2 - to try to get him reading as fast as I can just so I can have peace of mind in saying he's reading... then I'd work on the solid foundation, tools for forevermore, and the rest (writing and spelling) later in a different way. (Wha?) Wouldn't that make more of a patchwork foundation of sorts? Don't they all tie together?

Anyways, that was my thought process in a nutshell. It's meant to be helpful. I hope it comes across that way. I'm not the best with words here.