Menu

Why don't people clap in movie theaters anymore?

I think I've only heard applause in a movie theatre maybe 3 times in all my 47 years.

I can't really remember ever hearing clapping? Reminds me of the scene in "Desperately Seeking Susan," though.

Canadians clap when (if?) the plane lands. Americans don't. Although maybe they should. It seems a fairly miraculous and beautiful a thing to land an airplane (especially if you're in it!).

:lol::lol::lol:

I'm in the camp of wondering why people WOULD clap for a movie???

It's not like it's a live performance like a play or musical.

Ditto. But then, when I was a teen and started dating DH, I also wondered why there was no National Anthem being played where everyone stood up (military BRAT programing :p)

I guess I really don't understand clapping at a movie. I always understood applause as being for the performers or people involved in creating the work. Who are you (collective) clapping for? The projectionist? I clap at live performances, but the performers are not at the movie. Now if I were attending a screening where people involved in the process were there, I would clap.