Menu

Need help with science

As I'm trying to plan out our final curriculum choices for next fall, I'm coming up with nothing for science for my guy who will be a 6th grader. He really does not care for science at all. He's my kid that would love it if we went straight to textbooks for every subject. Loves to check off boxes and works best when he knows what is expected of him. Very black and white kind of child.

Any suggestions?

We are using Abeka Science for 6th grade this year. It is a nice change after finishing several apologia books. My oldest used BJU when she was in 6th for science. Abeka has a surprising amount of botany in it. I'm not at all a botany fan so that is not a great thing for me. I think it is a bit "chattier" than BJU, but nothing like Apologia. Dd is enjoying Abeka. It is a pleasing book to look at with lots of actual pictures and drawings.

Prentice Hall Science Explorer

This is what we used. Good overview. Visually cluttered.

CPO

I learned of this after we had started Science Explorer. I would probably have used this otherwise because it's not as busy visually. I seem to also question how easy it would be to do their experiments, but I've seen positive reviews on these boards.

CPO

I learned of this after we had started Science Explorer. I would probably have used this otherwise because it's not as busy visually. I seem to also question how easy it would be to do their experiments, but I've seen positive reviews on these boards.

:iagree:

As secular middle school science texts go, I think CPO is by far the best I've seen. The explanations are very clear and explicit, the design is very clean (not a lot of extraneous highlights and sidebars and stock photos and such), and there are lots of free resources on the website. You can usually find the CPO Focus on Earth/Life/Physical Science books second hand reasonably inexpensively. Some of the suggested labs use CPO's equipment (which is expensive), but you can substitute any other experiments you want.

Jackie