Menu

Logic Program....

I am looking for a good logic program for my dd13 (and myself really! :)). We tried TRaditional Logic by Memoria Press and we are currently slogging through The Fallacy Detective.

I know the Fallacy Detective is supposed to be great but we have a very hard time wrapping our minds around it. Me included! Maybe I am just dumb ;) but I have a hard time with it.

Is there anything out there that gently goes through Logic? I really want my kids to go through logic but I have to be able to understand it myself! :D

I don't have an answer for you but do you prefer secular or religious based?

It doesn't matter to me really. I don't want the program "shoving" (for lack of a better word) things down our throat. We are Christian in faith but we aren't stickler to where everything has to be biblically based. It actually opens the floodgates for discussion! :D

Your 13 yo might enjoy The Art of Argument from Classical Academic Press. It is informal logic, which IMHO, is a good place to start. We are only one week into it and ds carried the book with him in the car today so he could read the fun examples.

So far the author has made the terminology easy to understand; the examples are really down to earth, not theoretical. Most of them involved advertising. The questions are well designed as well. Do keep in mind that we are only one week in, though!

I am looking for a good logic program for my dd13 (and myself really! :)). We tried TRaditional Logic by Memoria Press and we are currently slogging through The Fallacy Detective.

I know the Fallacy Detective is supposed to be great but we have a very hard time wrapping our minds around it. Me included! Maybe I am just dumb ;) but I have a hard time with it.

Is there anything out there that gently goes through Logic? I really want my kids to go through logic but I have to be able to understand it myself! :D

Can you tell me more about Traditional Logic? I was thinking about doing that in 9th grade. Why did you stop? Is it more like a workbook, or like Fallacy Detective?

Blessings,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony