Menu

Update on son's developmental optometrist appt. -- need help/advice

My son had his developmental optometrist appointment today and all is well. His vision is 20/20 (I knew this already) and his convergence, alignment, etc. are all great!

For me this is good news AND bad news. The good news is obvious. The bad news is that I don't know where to go from here. The doc gave us a name of someone that can do more testing for perception disorders (dyslexia, ADHD/ADD, etc.), which is good. I guess.

My son has already been Dx with Sensory Integration Dysfunction. I told the D.O. this today and he said that SID falls under perception disorders and that this other doc might be able to pinpoint more issues for us.

Does this sound like something that's worth pursuing? I mean, I know my son has more issues than just the SID. But should I get them all diagnosed?

I've been reading some threads here on the SN boards and I'm coming across terms like working memory and executive function. What do those mean? Any good websites/books/articles you can point me to? Working memory seems like it encompasses a lot of things.

I'm just feeling kind of lost right now and could use some direction as far as getting Dx (or not), etc.

:( Thanks, mamas!

That's great news!!! (I know what you mean though - it's like taking a screaming baby to the doctor and being told there is no ear infection :tongue_smilie:)

What kind of doc did he refer you to? It sounds like seeing a psych/neuropsych is your next step, for IQ/achievement testing and to rule out dyslexia, adhd, etc. The other option would be to find a good OT program with lots of experience with sensory processing disorder. Or both. In either case, choose the provider wisely ;). Having a referral to a psych (?) from the optometrist is a pretty good bet - he probably knows just the right kind of psych, the kind that probably refers patients to the optometrist. I think it's fantastic that you've already ruled out the vision stuff - that will help the psych narrow things down. Good luck finding answers!

ETA, from below:

A book that really helped me sort out my kids' "disorders" (for lack of a better term) was The Mislabeled Child by Brock and Fernette Eide. It is inexpensive on Amazon and I highly recommend it.

:iagree: Really helpful, detailed book!!

Edited by wapiti

Mango, I needed to review your posts to remember your issues! So you know there's SPD, have done some OT, have an all clear from the OT, and suspect dyslexia. You said you have a Barton place near you? That and/or the neuropsych would be good places to start. What did the VT doc refer you to?

Just keep working through the process! I'd definitely look at going to the doc the VT suggested. After all, he was good enough not to take your money if he couldn't help. He might know someone who can.

My son had his developmental optometrist appointment today and all is well. His vision is 20/20 (I knew this already) and his convergence, alignment, etc. are all great!

For me this is good news AND bad news. The good news is obvious. The bad news is that I don't know where to go from here. The doc gave us a name of someone that can do more testing for perception disorders (dyslexia, ADHD/ADD, etc.), which is good. I guess.

My son has already been Dx with Sensory Integration Dysfunction. I told the D.O. this today and he said that SID falls under perception disorders and that this other doc might be able to pinpoint more issues for us.

Does this sound like something that's worth pursuing? I mean, I know my son has more issues than just the SID. But should I get them all diagnosed?

I've been reading some threads here on the SN boards and I'm coming across terms like working memory and executive function. What do those mean? Any good websites/books/articles you can point me to? Working memory seems like it encompasses a lot of things.

I'm just feeling kind of lost right now and could use some direction as far as getting Dx (or not), etc.

:( Thanks, mamas!

MangoMama, what were the symptoms that led you to the developmental optometrist?

It seems like he's telling you that dyslexia and ADHD are "perception disorders" rather than visual disorders, and can't be treated with VT.

I'm just curious because we're coming at this from the opposite direction - my son has working memory deficiency, is dyslexic but remediated, has improved fine motor skills to the degree that he can thread tiny beads, needles, etc., but when he's reading, he puts his face very close to the book and says the print looks like tiny ants if he's farther away (he does wear glasses). I wonder if vision therapy might still help him, or if he's past the point where it would make much difference. :confused:

Re Executive Function, I've found this book really practical and helpful:

"Smart But Scattered"

http://www.amazon.com/Smart-but-Scattered-Revolutionary-Executive/dp/1593854455/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1294422117&sr=1-2

Mango, I needed to review your posts to remember your issues! So you know there's SPD, have done some OT, have an all clear from the OT, and suspect dyslexia. You said you have a Barton place near you? That and/or the neuropsych would be good places to start. What did the VT doc refer you to?

Just keep working through the process! I'd definitely look at going to the doc the VT suggested. After all, he was good enough not to take your money if he couldn't help. He might know someone who can.

That's true. :) Didn't think of it that way.

I'll be calling today...