Menu

If you only had time to read 6 American Lit. books and...

Since it's such a huge field, I'm going to stick with fiction and (roughly) 19th/20 Centuries.

American:

To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee

The Violent Bear it Away - O'Connor

Moby Dick - Melville

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer - Twain

The Great Gatsby - Fitzgerald

Grapes of Wrath - Steinbeck

British:

The Power and the Glory - Greene

David Copperfield - Dickens

Frankenstein - Shelley

Pride and Prejudice - Austen

Les Miserable - Hugo

Greenmantle - Buchan

I feel horribly guilty for excluding Tolkien and C.S. Lewis. And Faulkner. Sorry guys. If I wasn't sticking to the last 2 centuries, I'd have thrown Pilgrim's Progress onto the British list.

Since it's such a huge field, I'm going to stick with fiction and (roughly) 19th/20 Centuries.

American:

To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee

The Violent Bear it Away - O'Connor

Moby Dick - Melville

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer - Twain

The Great Gatsby - Fitzgerald

Grapes of Wrath - Steinbeck

British:

The Power and the Glory - Greene

David Copperfield - Dickens

Frankenstein - Shelley

Pride and Prejudice - Austen

Les Miserable - Hugo

Greenmantle - Buchan

I feel horribly guilty for excluding Tolkien and C.S. Lewis. And Faulkner. Sorry guys. If I wasn't sticking to the last 2 centuries, I'd have thrown Pilgrim's Progress onto the British list.

I think Hugo was French???? So remove him and add a Thomas Hardy - Tess of the D'Urbervilles or Return of the Native. And Great Expectations over Copperfield, if length/time is an issue.

And I'd pick Huckleberry Finn over Tom Sawyer - more adult. Maybe Of Mice and Men over Grapes of Wrath, too. But that is just me.

Now, I wasn't thinking of poetry and drama--guess I was focusing on novels for "literature." I'd agree with Shakespeare, and the American poets, too...I'd probably try something from Chaucer--you might want to seriously preview what, though--so much of his work is bawdy, so say the least...

I think Hugo was French???? So remove him and add a Thomas Hardy - Tess of the D'Urbervilles or Return of the Native. And Great Expectations over Copperfield, if length/time is an issue.

Yes, duh. :tongue_smilie: Wasn't thinking. Take out Hugo, but don't replace him with Thomas Hardy! He's almost unbearable. Yuck. Skip him, and throw in Tolkien or Lewis.

Sabrina, you see how hard it is to follow your rules? :) You are a hard taskmaster! :lol:

You can't tell I have strong feelings about Hardy? ;) I LOVE Bronte, though. Jane Eyre is one of my "comfort" books.

So after seeing the other posts, think we can narrow it down to 6 American and 6 British over the sweep of History - poetry too? Yikes! I think it's impossible. If we stuck to authors rather than specific works that might make it easier. But, maybe cheating.

British:

Chaucer - Canterbury Tales

Bunyon - Pilgrim's Progress

Shakespeare - impossible to narrow. How about 2 Sonnets and a play? You can never have too much Shakespeare!

Austen - Pride & Prejudice

Dickens - David Copperfield (or Tale of Two Cities if you need something shorter.)

Green - The Power and the Glory

American:

Melville - Moby Dick

Whitman - Leaves of Grass

Twain - Tom Sawyer

Fitzgerald - The Great Gatsby

Steinbeck - Grapes of Wrath

O'Connor - A Good Man is Hard to Find

Oh, this is too much fun. Must get back to work.

I don't come around much, but I couldn't resist this thread. I love literature!

British:

British:

The Faerie Queen -- long, but worth it. maybe do selections?

Beowulf

Paradise Lost -- how can you not do this one?

A Tale of Two Cities

Henry V --my absolute favorite Shakespeare

Picture of Dorian Gray

American:

The Grapes of Wrath

For Whom the Bell Tolls

Red Badge of Courage

Poems of Ralph Waldo Emerson and/or Emily Dickinson

Autobiography of Malcolm X

Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglas

You'll notice most of the books I've chosen have a strong moral component. To me, that's what literature is for, so those are the kinds of books that I enjoy. HTH