Menu

What do you use for 5th grade vocabulary/spelling?

Heather in OK

My DD is working at a middle school level in LA and is doing well with MCT Caesar's English (she's just about done with the 1st book and will be starting the 2nd book soon) and Spelling Power.

After she finishes CE2, I think I'm probably going to switch her to Sadlier-Oxford Vocabulary Workshop rather than continuing on with MCT's Word Within the Word series.

I'm using Wordsmart Vocabulary cd-rom's for vocabulary. My son seems to like them. I bought the full set on e-bay.

For spelling, I use a program from SRA called Spelling Mastery. It is a morphograph-based approach and is similar to Apples and Pears. We start spelling in August and do it 5 days a week until November. Then, we are able to drop back to 2 days a week for the rest of the year and still finish up in May or early June. That works out really well for me, because I start to get burnt out come January.

Lisa

We're using tampareads.com. All the study work is printable online and they allow you to try the first eight weeks for free. Since all the lessons are online I was able to find the perfect "grade" fit for each one. Instead of the usual hoping/guessing it will be challenging enough. :)

We use the Oak Meadow curriculum for fifth grade, and for spelling, they just have me make a note of the words my daughter spells incorrectly while she's doing her various writing assignments, then I can put together a list of those words to "assign" for review the following week.

When I assign them, I try to assign them in fun ways. Like, one day she'll draw the words inside little pictures or shapes that pertain to the word (like this week one of her words was "mountainous" and she drew mountains around it). Another day she'll write the word with a "bubble letter" for the first letter of each word, and then she'll decorate/draw designs in the bubble letter. Another day we'll review it orally, while tossing a ball back and forth and chanting the letters. One day I'll have her write them 5X each. And the 5th day is a quiz. (If she doesn't get many words spelled wrong in her writings, which she usually doesn't, I just look up "5th grade spelling lists" online and pull words from there; I give her a total of ten new words each week, a combination of words she might have misspelled and words from the list I found).

Vocabulary is pulled from her reading (which usually also ties in with social studies; there's a lot of integration with Oak Meadow). Sometimes they assign the words for us from the social studies lesson in her syllabus, other times they'll assign some and tell us to "choose some from our reading" as we're always reading a book that ties into whatever our social studies material is about- like we're currently reading "Ben and Me" as we're doing a unit on Benjamin Franklin. Then one day she'll alphabetize the words and write their definitions, another day she'll use the words in sentences, and she'll always hear the words in context in our reading.