Menu

Question for people who are in an awesome co-op

it's exclusive.

a couple of us moms had thought wouldn't it be nice to do some crafts and red stories and ...?

and so a couple of us moms did just that.

it can't cause stress - it's supposed to be fun!

it shouldn't add to our schooling outside of coop - we have plenty to do already!

it is for all children in the family

it's by invitation only. We want coop to work for US first, because when it stops working for us - we aren't doing it anymore.

it's in a home environment (my home to be precise) 90% of the time. if a baby needs nursed - fine go have a seat. if a toddler needs a nap - fine pick a room to lay a pallet in. if you need to potty train - the potty is there. if they need to burn some energy - recess in the backyard. if we want a lunch - there's the kitchen.

all parents stay the entire time - this is not a drop off event

all parents contribute in some way that THEY CHOOSE - lunch, paper goods, a craft, a lesson - we all bring something to the planning table that we WANT to do.

it's small. 4 families gives a total of 15 kids ages 5 - 13, 20 if you count those 3 and under.

we are committed. those who join are committed for at least the month they assist in planning. missing a day because of sick kids is understood, but choosing to "come and go" as it fits in their schedule or desire to attend is not really an option. if they can't commit to attending, then this really isn't for them.

This has really worked great for us! We don't have to divide up all our kids to do it, we don't have to stress over finding a location to meet our needs, and we are very relaxed and comfortable. No one pays a fee to do this, but we all contribute what we want - so if we feel like buying something, then we do.

We add families as others move on for whatever reason.

There was some stink in the larger hs group when we didn't open this to the entire group and put it in a location and set up sitters for those who didn't want to deal with littles and had academics reenforced and no one had to commit to it and blahblahblah - but that is not the coop we needed. Those others in the group went on to make their own "Academic Coop" that fits the above description, although I can't say as to how well received it is. I'm happy for them, but that is not what we want to do.

so I think what makes a great coop is that it has what YOU need.

so what do YOU need?

if it doesn't fit your needs - it gets really exhausting and annoying and stressful really quick.

Hmmm, I would have to say that it's the people that make our co-op extra special. We happen to be a warm, friendly bunch, some of whom have been with the co-op since it started several years ago. But there has to be some level of organization no matter how "nice" the people are, so maybe these random thoughts about our group will help you in starting your own!

A lot depends on the size of your group and the ages of the children. We have had the good fortune of having our group grow with us, starting from scratch when our kids were small and there were just a handful of families, to now when we are starting to plan high school classes and programming for over 200 kids of all ages.

I think in the beginning it's consistency that helps build a good program. If families are just dropping in when they feel like it, it's hard to develop the cohesive friendships that are the true benefit of a strong co-op. For us in the beginning this was as simple as requiring that families pay upfront for any classes that we offered. Even if the classes were only a couple of dollars each week, it's amazing how much more valuable something becomes when families have (literally) invested something in it.

With growth comes added responsibility, and for us that meant assigning specific duties, like someone to coordinate field trips, another person for parties, etc. Later on we added committees to support these positions, as it became too much for just one person. As more people become involved, it's also important to make sure everyone knows what is expected of them. For us this is in the form of a parent handbook. When we were smaller we got the word out with newsletters and e-mails, but as we grew it seemed like we were saying the same things over and over again, so we put it all in writing once and for all in our handbook. We have a parent meeting every summer before co-op starts where we go over the handbook. It sounds so formal and school-ish, but I believe that we've avoided many potential problems and mis-communications just by having everyone know what's expected of them ahead of time.

Those are just a few of the things that have been done with our co-op, and I think we have an incredible group. Just one more thing to think about in considering ways to make this a wonderful experience for all involved--learn everyone's name. Nothing makes someone feel a part of something like being greeted by name, kids and adults alike. If you are small this won't be a problem, but if you are starting out as a largish-group, make sure you invest in nametags!

Best of luck in your endeavor!

What makes your co-op extra special? I'm looking for ways to make our new co-op a wonderful, supportive environment and experience for all the families involved.

I was surprised how many of the things Martha said were what I would say too!

It is only five families and we meet in a home (mine or one other mama). We are not open to more at this time not because we would not welcome others, but because we are a tight fit as it is in a home. We have 16 children and all five moms are required to be on-site at all times. Ours is not a drop-off situation either. It is the intimacy of the group that makes it special. Not only can I get to know the moms well, but I can get to know their children too.

We share the work load and each mom or group of moms takes the teaching position at various times. We try to keep the cost as low as we can to make it work for everyone.

What she said here applies to our co-op too:

"missing a day because of sick kids is understood, but choosing to "come and go" as it fits in their schedule or desire to attend is not really an option. if they can't commit to attending, then this really isn't for them."

We sit down and have a meeting to decide what topics we will choose for the year and who will do them. We are all committed for the year unless something serious were to come up. This is only our first year, but we have had a really wonderful time. I did not think I would enjoy it, frankly. I didn't think it would work well with our family schedule or that we would get all that much out of it. I was very wrong! :)

We do field trips for units when they apply. Our focus is mainly science, but as our children grow we will probaby branch out to other areas if the moms want to do this though I would certainly not be opposed to keeping it science focused. We make the units hands-on with a lesson before the activity, and a "circle time" before that. We introduce folk songs, scripture, finger play songs, as well as other "get the wiggles out" kinds of things. Our co-op is mainly for ages 4-9, but as they age so will the projects and subjects we study. This is the first time I have done anything younger-child-focused and it has been a great success. My oldest two are helpers and they really do help.

The social aspect is wonderful for all the children as well as the moms. I have met some real kindred spirits in this group and feel very blessed to be a part of it. I think they key it to be flexible and willing to be a part of it. If you have a group of moms that are this way and are willing to work together you will likely have a successful co-op! :)

Thanks for all the great replies so far--keep them coming!

Follow-up: ie. Are regularly scheduled field trips important to you? What about a monthly mom's night out? My sil's co-op made a yearbook this year (each family submitted a page)--would that be something that would interest a lot of people? Any other ideas?

(background that I probably should have included in my first post. This is an academic co-op currently limited to 32 enrolled children. Moms and younger siblings come to class also.)

Thanks for all the great replies so far--keep them coming!

Follow-up: ie. Are regularly scheduled field trips important to you? What about a monthly mom's night out? My sil's co-op made a yearbook this year (each family submitted a page)--would that be something that would interest a lot of people? Any other ideas?

(background that I probably should have included in my first post. This is an academic co-op currently limited to 32 enrolled children. Moms and younger siblings come to class also.)

Field trips are extra and are not important to me. I have enjoyed every one of them as have the children, but as for "important" - no, I would not call them that. We do have regular mom's nights and they are always a great deal of fun. I only have this one group where I do these kinds of things so a dinner out with my lady friends is superb. We always have a lot of fun, but then we really like each other and many of us see one another outside of the co-op too.

As for a year book, no, that would not interest me at all. It would be a burden I would not want, but then I don't scrap! I take pictures and I post them on my blog and the other moms take pictures too and do whatever they want (when there is something picture-worthy of course). But no, I would resent having to do something like that. LOL (Just being honest!!) :)

I think the best way to ascertain the mom's desire and willingness is to ask them in a meeting setting. I think that sitting together and having the ability to voice concerns, thoughts, ideas, desires, is very important to a successful co-op. Have you done that? Is this a multi-mom-lead group or is one mom leading/teaching all?

Although ours has only been in existence for only two years, it has grown to about 40 families and seems to have become a cohesive and close group.

Our co-op was formed when some homeschooling friends became disillusioned with the current co-ops they were attending, especially the leadership. They formed ours on the basis of being a more hands-on educational experience for children as well as being open to families whose kids have special needs. It was well-needed in our area.

Like Barbi's co-op, we have a handbook so everyone knows what is expected (parents are on-site, discipline and behavioral procedures, semester schedules, etc), we have payment for classes upfront to help with consistency, parents are assigned specific duties for the year (birthday recognition, teacher assistant coordinator, special needs coordinator, parent's room coordinator). We also do not have the parents teach the classes, although they are welcome to do so if they are so inclined. We hire our teachers and that has seemed to work out very well. We also require some of the parents to assist in certain rooms where the teacher might need some help, especially with the younger grades. The parent scheduled only helps out one of the three hours they are at co-op.

Last year was our honeymoon period. This year has been a bit more of a struggle because of behavioral issues with some of the students (and NOT the special needs kids...go figure) The board has addressed the issues and the parents have been really open and responsive. Something that could've become ugly, was worked out with grace and swiftness, so all parties now know what to expect and how to deal with the issues.

I was asked to be on the board last year. I was really honored to be invited to be of assistance to these homeschool veterans. I see their hearts and their vision for the group, and feel really lucky to be there. Some great friendships in our co-op have formed, myself included, and we are respectful to others' beliefs (many different denominations, Protestant, Catholic, etc). The fact that the board jumps on the issues to deal with them when they happen is a big plus also.

One thing they shared with me, though, is that a co-op doesn't run that well when it's a democracy. They said a few people making the decisions (while listening to others input, of course, but the board makes the final decisions) works better than everyone voting as to how things should be done. It creates a lot of headaches, bad feelings and nothing gets accomplished. So I guess our co-op is more of a "republic". :D

I can't think of anything else at the moment. Hope this helps!!

We have been with our co-op for 2 years. It is large - maybe 125 kids - and although it is Christian it embraces a range of homeschooling styles.

Things that make it work so well...

1. The leaders are very organized women. I remember being impressed at the first meeting I attended. As a former manager, I truly appreciated the planning, speaking, and organizational skills I saw, and this management has contributed a lot to the co-op's success.

2. Clear rules about how each family can contribute (you either teach a class or work 2 hours each week at some job), kid's behavior, discipline, etc.

3. Consistency. As others have mentioned, the only reason to skip is generally illness.

4. Little "school" touches. Our co-op runs 9-3 one day a week, with 5 class periods, lunch, and recess. So, my kiddos get to experience the lunchtime and recess comraderie that their schooled friends get. Plus, there are a Christmas talent show, Valentine's exchange, yearbook, field trips (like roller rink and water park), etc. Again, the "fun" stuff of school.

5. A talented group of teachers. There's an amazing array of talented parents in our co-op, which is vital because our classes are all parent-taught. We have trained historians, scientists, artists, foreign language experts, in addition to parents with many practical skills, all contributing to a lovely range of classes.

Our co-op only runs through March, and my DS have been in major withdrawl since then, already asking, "Is co-op starting again soon?"

Oh, did I mention how much I miss it, too? I miss my science students and look forward to a new bunch next year.

Our co-op is very similar in size and we *just* started a trial co-op period four weeks ago to see if we want to do something for next year.

We are a small hs group of about 10 families who get along amazingly well and decided we don't see each other often enough, we needed more accountability in our hsing, we wanted our kids to have classes that maybe we weren't getting to, and we wanted our kids to see each other. We meet once a month, just the moms and used that time in recent months to plan.

The kids are split up into three age groups with the infants and toddlers being in the nursery. We moms are paired up and team teach in the subject areas we enjoy and/or have experience teaching in. One mom was a journalism major, one a science teacher, one a strong musician, two others studied Spanish in college, so we are tapping into people's strengths.

We spent a lot of time discussing what we wanted out of the group and continue to process what we are doing. It has worked far better than I had imagined-although it's a lot of work getting supplies together, lunch packed, lessons planned, etc.

We are fortunate to be able to use an unused Parochial school for our co-op! Our church uses the classrooms for Faith Formation classes and other meetings, but otherwise it sits unused. It has a bell system that we ring since the classroom clocks are all a bit off from each other and the kids get a kick out of that. :)

I would do a lot of communicating with each other on what you want and what your expectations are and just do a trial run to see what you think. Nothing has to be set in stone or permanent. We found out after the first day that an hour for lunch is too long and after the second week we found that half an hour is too short. :)

Good luck and have fun!

field trips and year books and nights out - NO!

it's hard enough to schedule the time for coop, I do not want coop to become this alien growth that takes over my entire life, kwim?

if the field trip is related - then I'd be good doing it in place of coop one day.

All that other stuff doesn't sound like coop - it sound like a support group activity.

it's very important to know that a coop may have many features of a support group (familiar people with a common goal for example) and a support group may affer things like a coop - but they are not interchangeable in my experience.

the bigger the enrolled students - the more of a wooly mammoth beaucracy it states to become. handbooks and sign ups and waivers and headaches!

my strong desire is to avoid that like the plague.:D

it has it's place in a large group setting and I suppose of the large group setting had what I was looking for it wouldn't bother me - but otherwise, no thanks.

You wrote, "the bigger the enrolled students - the more of a wooly mammoth beaucracy it states to become. handbooks and sign ups and waivers and headaches!"

Yes, that is one of the reasons our co-op is so small! As for the MNO - we love them. They are a great source of joy for us as we all enjoy one another's company. Dinner with good wine with my lady friends - that there is no stress in that whatsoever! :)

What I love about my co-op is it meets in peoples homes on various days. So, I get to pick and chose what to be involved in and it doesn't take all day! My son loved the finger math class he took. The lady who hosted it was very welcoming and since it was in her home the setting was relaxed and more intimate than some others we had tried.:001_smile:

I posted that one of the things we love at our co-op is the "extras" but others wanted to avoid those. Each family needs to decide for themselves - depending on many things like other commitments, it might not be for you.

However, one thing I hear among the homeschool families I know is kids, older kids especially, asking to go to school, not for academic reasons but for the "extras." My DS7, who loves performances of all types, was thrilled to be in 2 segments of the Christmas program (a Christmas play and Spanish class performance), just like his school buddies. Older kids in the co-op were excited to be in the yearbook class, producing a neat product like their schooled contemporaries. Our family views co-op as an opportunity to do some enrichment activities and "extracurriculars" in a setting of like-minded families where there is close adult supervision, to give our DS a taste of some of the fun things that can accompany school.

More effort on my part - I cherish days home all the more - but just our family's way of making home school work for the long run.

There was some stink in the larger hs group when we didn't open this to the entire group and put it in a location and set up sitters for those who didn't want to deal with littles and had academics reenforced and no one had to commit to it and blahblahblah - but that is not the coop we needed. Those others in the group went on to make their own "Academic Coop" that fits the above description, although I can't say as to how well received it is. I'm happy for them, but that is not what we want to do.

so I think what makes a great coop is that it has what YOU need.

so what do YOU need?

if it doesn't fit your needs - it gets really exhausting and annoying and stressful really quick.

I just wanted to say that this strikes me as very wise. I think it is very easy for coop attendance to become a validation for some of the parents. I like the other families in my support group. But my goals and schedules just don't mesh with the goals of the group "enrichment activities" that they set up. However, I volunteered to help teach a dissections class that my kids weren't even taking just because it sounded so cool. I brought my microscope and helped kids cut stuff and handle gooey insides and had a blast.

Yes, that is one of the reasons our co-op is so small! As for the MNO - we love them. They are a great source of joy for us as we all enjoy one another's company. Dinner with good wine with my lady friends - that there is no stress in that whatsoever! :)

I'm not against them, I just think it's seperate from the coop. They are 2 seperate functions and that should be clear in some cases or there can be hurt feelings.

However, one thing I hear among the homeschool families I know is kids, older kids especially, asking to go to school, not for academic reasons but for the "extras."

This is very true! Those older teens seriously rebel if their social needs are met in some degree. However, it doesn't have to be a stresser for the parents at that point b/c the activities should be pretty teen driven. Our group has started up a homeschool youth group recently. It's not much right now, but we hope it'll grow. They watch movies, do lazer tag, and so forth. They really aren't asking for organized activities - just a chance to gather and chat and have fun. Oh and EAT. They just want us parents to find a corner and :lurk5:.