Menu

Skype, Ooma, etc, users: help me get my dad off the magic jack, I'm *begging* you!

And on to something that is NOT just as miserable and time-consuming for his poor, unpaid tech consultants. My mom got a new laptop and router, and that REALLY threw things for a loop. I am tired of dealing with it, and happy to throw a bit of money at solving the problem (ie, I will pay the startup for a new service like ooma, skype, etc).

Requirements:

*He has to be able to use a handset with it, just like a regular ol' cordless phone. I really do not think a headset is in the cards.

*It doesn't have to be perfect or landline quality, but it has to be better than the Magic Jack, lol.

*If there are monthly fees, like Skype, it's better if I can pay them upfront.

*No landline component at all.

*No, they will not just up their cell phone plan like normal people.

They have cable high speed internet, it was about 3 megs when we tested it.

What's YOUR no land line, non-cell phone solution? //sobs incoherently and awaits answers//

Where does your Dad live (general here, not specific)?

Skype has some decent deals, and he'll only need to pay for having a phone number if he's in the US. They've increased the rates lately, so I don't know what it costs at the moment, but it's reasonable. We have had and used a Skype-In number for 3+ years now (we live in Brazil and maintain a US phone number via Skype In).

There ARE handsets available for Skype. They have versions that are wireless (go through a wireless router; these work whether the computer is itself turned on/connected to internet or not, as the Skype program is in the phone) OR ones that are USB connected (work only when the computer itself is turned on/connected to internet). We had Linksys ones. Our USB one broke in a move, and we don't like to use the Wireless because people forget the time difference when calling us. But we were happy with the quality of both Linksys units when we had them.

We have "high speed" internet that tests at about 1.8 megs for download and averages about .5 to .8 megs on upload. Skype works fine on that most of the time, so your dad's 3 meg should be perfect.

The fees for skype can be paid as a yearly subscription, and it's more economical that way. I believe you pay one rate for the Skype In (having the phone number) and a different subscription if he needs Skype Out (to be able to call out from there); I think, but I could be wrong, that calling from the US to the US is FREE and would not need a subscription. We pay for ours, but that is because we are in Brazil, I think. The unlimited plan DID go up in price (for us) but I think the US plan is still free or very low cost. Again, it can be done as an annual subscription, paid at one time. If you do that, make sure you use your email so you get the annual renewal email.

Voicemail is available as well, I think for free. It's pretty easy to use. We've got all our parents on it and they all figured it out, LOL.

I don't know much about the other stuff, but we've been happy with Skype. The only thing is -- customer service is all via email, no live person help. So, should you have a problem, it is a little annoying. The emails are quick and all, but it's a pain. Still, other than that we like it and will keep it for however long we're outside the US.

He's in the US, so he would need to pay for the phone number.

Very good to know that the handsets are decent!

Thanks for all the info, very helpful! :)

Where does your Dad live (general here, not specific)?

Skype has some decent deals, and he'll only need to pay for having a phone number if he's in the US. They've increased the rates lately, so I don't know what it costs at the moment, but it's reasonable. We have had and used a Skype-In number for 3+ years now (we live in Brazil and maintain a US phone number via Skype In).

There ARE handsets available for Skype. They have versions that are wireless (go through a wireless router; these work whether the computer is itself turned on/connected to internet or not, as the Skype program is in the phone) OR ones that are USB connected (work only when the computer itself is turned on/connected to internet). We had Linksys ones. Our USB one broke in a move, and we don't like to use the Wireless because people forget the time difference when calling us. But we were happy with the quality of both Linksys units when we had them.

We have "high speed" internet that tests at about 1.8 megs for download and averages about .5 to .8 megs on upload. Skype works fine on that most of the time, so your dad's 3 meg should be perfect.

The fees for skype can be paid as a yearly subscription, and it's more economical that way. I believe you pay one rate for the Skype In (having the phone number) and a different subscription if he needs Skype Out (to be able to call out from there); I think, but I could be wrong, that calling from the US to the US is FREE and would not need a subscription. We pay for ours, but that is because we are in Brazil, I think. The unlimited plan DID go up in price (for us) but I think the US plan is still free or very low cost. Again, it can be done as an annual subscription, paid at one time. If you do that, make sure you use your email so you get the annual renewal email.

Voicemail is available as well, I think for free. It's pretty easy to use. We've got all our parents on it and they all figured it out, LOL.

I don't know much about the other stuff, but we've been happy with Skype. The only thing is -- customer service is all via email, no live person help. So, should you have a problem, it is a little annoying. The emails are quick and all, but it's a pain. Still, other than that we like it and will keep it for however long we're outside the US.

I've found Vonage to be reliable in the past-even with international calling. If you loose power or internet though-you still loose the phone. You get a box to plug into the modem and then you plug in a normal phone of your choice. When you set up the Vonage account you have the option to tie an address to it for 911 purposes. Most of the services don't have a direct address tie in to 911 unless you set it up in your account. Also-you used to be able to pay a year at a time and had a small discount for doing so.