Menu

Running Shoes Question

I have been running for three months and am ready to invest in a pair of good running shoes. (I have been running in my four year old Asics, which I accidentally left at the beach condo yesterday.) There is a store in town with experts and an electronic stride calculator and I don't know what all. Then there is Dick's Sporting Goods and also a New Balance store. I am assuming (and maybe it is a bad assumption) the running store will cost me more. Is the expertise worth it? I am not going to be running marathons or anything like that. I just like to do my three miles in the morning. Thanks for your help.

Cannot tell you what a difference it can make to have the right shoe. The running store guys can tell all kinds of things after watching you run and will suggest a number of options. Then you can run in them, in the store on a treadmill or on the sidewalk (go prepared to run, i.e, don't wear a skirt), and find the one that feels the best. After you buy your first pair, you can order subsequent pairs online for a little less. I don't, because I want to support our local running store more than I want that extra $10, but this is something on which reasonable minds may differ.

Terri

you can go to the running store & get fitted for free...they'll tell you what shoes work best for you, the size you need, etc. you can purchase there or buy online once you know. i purchased my very first pair from the running store, but with my dh (he's planning his first 10K!!), we'll do it differently & simply get fitted there and buy online.

sailormom, i LOVE my saucony progride ride 2 shoes. i mean, i love them. i found them for under $60 online because they're last year's model. score!:D

I went to Westride this morning. The owner recorded me running on the treadmill. He explained that I toe strike (thanks Cadam), that I pronate, but don't over pronate, and what all that meant for shoes. I tried on about 5 different pairs from different manufacturers. I looked at older models and new models. I ended up with the new Nike Pegasus. I will try them out on the road this afternoon.

Thanks for all the advice. The prices were not any higher than I found on-line. When my son needs shoes, I will definitely take him there.