Menu

Spin-off of words that get under your skin...

PiCO

Have you ever seen meaningless phrases used in business brochures or websites?

This quote is from a local performing arts high school. I'm putting in the entire paragraph, but it's the last line that made me laugh out loud.

Performance is at the heart of all we do: creating ensemble in each class and the entire school as well as on stage, and building the confidence to stand up and sing out – both literally and figuratively – in all students, whatever their future plans. Our graduates are accepted at an impressive array of colleges and universities. And [name of school] is 100% substance-free.

I hope by substance-free they mean drug-free, but it sounded to me like they don't teach anything of substance (but they still get kids into college!)

Besides, how can they verify that?

When I worked in a law firm, our standard forms were crammed with pointless phrases. "Pursuant to our conversation, and in accordance with the standards set forth by blah, blah, blah..." :001_rolleyes: I also detested putting, "...the attached letter..." when I was sending by fax. Wouldn't "...the following letter..." make a ton more sense?

And [name of school] is 100% substance-free.

I hope by substance-free they mean drug-free, but it sounded to me like they don't teach anything of substance (but they still get kids into college!)

:lol:

That's funny.

Cynical me would think they might know how to sing but they are definitely out of touch with their students if they really believe they are 100% substance/drug free.

I got a letter from a charity last week, assuring me that my donation would be "tax deductible to the fullest extent of the law". Huh? My dh and I agree that we've only ever seen the phrase "to the fullest extent of the law" applied to prosecuting criminals! :D

What they meant to say was "as allowed by law" or something similar...

Have you ever seen meaningless phrases used in business brochures or websites?

This quote is from a local performing arts high school. I'm putting in the entire paragraph, but it's the last line that made me laugh out loud.

Performance is at the heart of all we do: creating ensemble in each class and the entire school as well as on stage, and building the confidence to stand up and sing out – both literally and figuratively – in all students, whatever their future plans. Our graduates are accepted at an impressive array of colleges and universities. And [name of school] is 100% substance-free.

That's really goofy! :lol: