Menu

Does anyone organize greeting cards this way?

I'm thinking about sweeping Target for all the greeting cards I expect to need in 2011 and then putting them in my by-the-month file. I hate that some people's birthdays get neglected by me because they are at an inopportune time and I don't wind up getting and sending a card in time. Anybody do this as a matter of policy? Did it work for you?

A long time ago I considered doing this, but when I realized JUST HOW MUCH MONEY I would end up spending on cards......I scrapped the idea of cards all together. I either call, send an email or make a card, but $3-4 per card adds up fast, especially if purchased all at once.

by my desk. This helped. I've made cards and postcards out of simple white cardstock and would stamp a greeting or write one.

BTW in regards to you end note/signature, I used to work at a restaurant and would go into the Walk-in Freezer and scream my head off if I was frustrated. I also would hide in my office closet and as people past by my desk they could see I wasn't there and would just move on.

Not sure if this is family or friends that you are talking about, but how about making cards or having the kids make cards?

I haven't bought a card in years, I guess I am just too cheap. They are so expensive, and I can imagine it would be a ton of money if bought all at once.

I always have card stock around the house, and I also buy the blank white cards at Michaels when I have a coupon. If it is someone in the family, I will usually have the kids make a card. For my friends or neighbors, I will make a card. Nothing too extravagant, I usually only spend 5 or 10 minutes on it, with supplies I would already have anyway.

Another idea is to print out a cute 4x6 photo...of you, the family, maybe the birthday person...and write a message on the back with a sharpie. I know most people would appreciate a photo, and also be less likely to throw it away, and it wouldn't cost you too much. For your yearly file idea, just take a fun photo or find one you have already taken, send it to shutterfly or somewhere and print off however many you think you will need. You'll probably only spend what you would have spent on 3 or 4 cards, but you'll be set for the year.

HTH! I need to be better about this too. Often I resort to an ecard, but I just love to send (and receive!!) snail mail.

I make my own using Hallmark software, photos I upload and/or clipart. I can choose wonderful fonts, colors, and personalize them the way I want to. The price is great, too! Store-bought cards are SO expensive! I'm not crafty and my penmanship is nothing special, otherwise I'd grab cardstock, scrapbook stamps, lace, etc, and *really* make my own, but I do spend the time to personalize each card & envelope, and so far, everyone I've sent them to just loves them.

I haven't bought a store card in ages with the exception of a graduation gift or sympathy card here and there and BOY did I have sticker shock at the Christmas one I got for a music teacher (a last minute thing)!

I do have a stack of 'blank inside' cards for the odd time when I need something in a hurry and don't have time to pick pictures, fonts, etc.

Otherwise, I think your idea of pre-buying is great. I actually did that before getting hooked on making my own.

I bought handmade looking cards at Costco for Christmas gifts. They are under a dollar each and look like they should be 5.00 at least. They come in a box similiar to a recipe box, only much larger. You can reuse that box for years.

Yes, I think you have a great plan to organize cards by the month, or at least get them on a calendar.

Those are a great deal! I've bought them for my mom's elderly neighbor and my grandmother who are so fabulous at remembering to send out cards but have difficulty getting out to the stores. They are very nice as well!

I bought handmade looking cards at Costco for Christmas gifts. They are under a dollar each and look like they should be 5.00 at least. They come in a box similiar to a recipe box, only much larger. You can reuse that box for years.

Yes, I think you have a great plan to organize cards by the month, or at least get them on a calendar.