Menu

redefining intelligence

I find it fascinating to collect these alternative kinds of definitions of intelligence or ideas about what constitute the most valuable skills for kids to learn. Here's another, from a book called Coloring Outside the Lines by Roger Schank:

What is a smarter kid?

--verbal proficiency

--creativity

--analytical skill (not mathematical; he's talking about "sizing up situations and coming to conclusions)

--gumption or "stick-to-it-tiveness"

--ambition (drive to succeed)

--inquisitiveness

These are fairly close to David Albert's list, perhaps most notably lacking the "learning from other people" item.

Has anybody else found interesting lists to compare with these?

Karen--Such an interesting article! Now I have those books on stickies to get from the library!!! But I guess my trouble with lists like that is how it's supposed to be the set of skills we focus on, even if those things come naturally. Not all are there, and certainly they don't necessarily apply them in the harder cases, only to the easier and more natural situations. But really, does that make them the foil to approach everything (the implication here) or do there remain sets of holes? (If you're creative but can't read a textbook, you still can't read a textbook, kwim? It didn't solve the problem.)

That takes us back to what we're schooling them for, where we're trying to make them fit it, which of course leaves you going in circles.

Or more interestingly, how about a list of the intelligences taken for granted? Hehe... For instance when I got married I could do calculus but didn't know how to put away leftovers. I literally couldn't look at a quantity and estimate what size container it would take. I don't know, to me it's interesting to ponder the flipside of all the things people think ought to be there that aren't in all people. :)

I'm not sure it's helpful to self-select a list that makes you as the person feel good but doesn't reveal your weak points, kwim?

Edited by OhElizabeth

The idea of multiple intelligences or competencies appears to be gaining ground in the educational system. And lists of this sort are very helpful when trying to define a certain student, especially for someone teaching a student who just doesn't fit the standard. I have one of those.

My question, though, is where do we go from here? David Albert obviously has issues with the traditional school model and chose to homeschool. But how does someone like me - a novice in learning/educational theory - teach a non-standard student who meets so many of the competencies on these lists, but who will still have to function under the traditional school (college) model? There are hoops that he must jump through that will be difficult for him, but jump he must in order to achieve his career desires.

Until the educational model for this country changes our non-standard kids are at a huge disadvantage. They are made to feel inadequate (via standardized testing admission criteria) and come to view their career desires as unattainable, yet I know that these students would be valuable assets and business owners. One has to get one's foot into the door in order to show one's capabilities - it's just so difficult for these non-standard students to get that foot in there.

My impression, as an uninformed outsider, is that the educational world values alternatives like this only as an addition to basic traditional academic skills, not instead of basic traditional academic skills, useful as frosting but not as bread. It seems like these lists are alternatives, not a basis, and are almost exclusively used by people who have students who can't (or refuse to) go the traditional route. Maybe I am wrong?

The thing that bothers me the most is that there seem to be five alternatives, none of which work for me:

1. Go the traditional academic route.

2. Leave the student to manage as best he can on his own, teaching himself whatever he sees as important at the moment.

3. Have a good teacher teach a more standard body of knowledge and skills in an alternative way. This requires taking the time necessary to develop methods that work for that particular subject at that particular level and gaining experience by testing them on several years and classrooms worth of students. (My sister does this, so I know that it can be done; not perfectly but at least better than it is normally done.)

4. Spend oodles of time, far more than any normal parent has, trying to recreate number three at home.

5. Pay a private tutor to try to recreate number three at home.

Open-and-go alternative curriculums that teach a minimum academic skills and content in a creative way designed for a home setting that work for just-sort-of-brightish-not-brilliant high school don't seem to exist. Or at least, I haven't found many of them.

-Nan

In my experience, you don't have much choice. I dumped mine (or rather, he dumped himself) into some very, very real worlds, and he still makes his own. I don't think you need to worry too much about this. I exposed as age appropriate, provided plenty of escape/hide/survive strategies, and let them decide what their world will be.

-Nan