Menu

Has anyone made beef "crown" from ribeye roast?

Don't laugh, I probably don't even have the title right. BUT,

I was told by the butcher that I can use rib in ribeye steaks....can I buy several to make the "crown"?

I've not made a pork or lamb crown before as we don't eat those foods, but my dh's favorite cut of beef is ribeye and would like to make the "crown" for our Christmas entree.

Suggestions? Thanks. Sheryl <><

Why don't you use a rib roast instead and skip the crown part?

Teach me. :lol: THis is what I was told.

The ribeye is "several" bone-in ribeye steaks "all in one"....several together. Is that right? So, isn't the roast then just cutting them to "individual" steaks and "standing up" into a crown?

Teach me. :lol: THis is what I was told.

The ribeye is "several" bone-in ribeye steaks "all in one"....several together. Is that right? So, isn't the roast then just cutting them to "individual" steaks and "standing up" into a crown?

No. A crown is many ribs, pulled round and tied into a circle, or crown. Unless you are really good at it, you need a good butcher to do this for you.

Unless you are serving a large number of people, a crown of beef rib is probably too much. If you want a wonderful, succlulent roast, ask instead for a bone-in prime rib roast with the cap off. Asking for 3 ribs will get you approximately 5 pounds (or about 4 1/2 pounds of meat). It will cost you less per pound that a crown and it will taste much better because making it into a crown abuses the meat somewhat and causes some dryness issues.

Season it all over with plenty of salt and pepper (good meat doesn't need more than that IMO). Roast in a 350°F oven, bones down, for 25 minutes per pound for a nice medium rare. Best is to check the internal with a meat thermometer. Take the roast out when the internal temp reaches 135°F, then cover with foil and let it rest 15 minutes.

Edited by Audrey