Menu

anyone switch from Singapore to Math U See?

jlmom

I love Singapore Primary Math. It's my all-time favorite program for 3rd-6th grade (actually prefer Miquon Math for the lower levels).

It just wasn't working for my youngest though.

I've tried a LOT of different programs with her. MUS seems to be working for her now. We just started it a few months ago. I think the systematic review pages are the main strength of the program. My dd is dyslexic and needs a lot of systematic review. I haven't been able to find any other program that has the right kind of review for her, but this one seems to be it.

I didn't really switched from Singapore . I still keep it and we are doing it in addition to CLE math. My dc were not really learning with SM alone and were frustrated too. I have a "math brain" but they don't seem to have it (they are more linguistic) . Singapore assumes kids catch on concepts too fast. Also it does not provide enough practice.

I have tried MUS and we prefer much more CLE .

My dd did SM and MUS together. Actually, we had MUS first. There are things I like about SM that MUS is lacking, but MUS sometimes saved the day. There were times, though, when Mr. Demme used methods my dc found confusing. If neither SM nor MUS taught in a way that worked, well, she learned it they way I did and was fine.

MUS saved the day with things such as regrouping. My dd was adamantly opposed to regrouping, but became a convert after watching it on the MUS video.

I can't help you more because I don't know why SM is frustrating you.

MUS was worth the money for my middle dd due to her learning style, but it has its inherent weaknesses just like any other math program out there. I'm kicking myself because I can't remember the name of the long time poster who has a great review of MUS she has posted here more than once.

We switched from Singapore to MUS (via Teaching Textbooks in the middle :tongue_smilie:).

It is an expensive switch at first, but you can do it cheaper than buying everything new from MUS. There's a MUS Swap group on Yahoo. I got a bundle of the first few levels from someone for about $30, and a set of blocks for $20. You'll probably have to spring for the workbooks from MUS - but you could wait on that if you needed to, depending on what level you're starting with. (if you're starting with Pre-Algebra, you'll need the exercises right away, but if you're starting with Primer - Beta, you could probably make up your own problems on a white board for a few weeks while you're testing it).

It was definitely worth it for us!

We switched from Singapore to MUS (via Teaching Textbooks in the middle :tongue_smilie:).

It is an expensive switch at first, but you can do it cheaper than buying everything new from MUS. There's a MUS Swap group on Yahoo. I got a bundle of the first few levels from someone for about $30, and a set of blocks for $20. You'll probably have to spring for the workbooks from MUS - but you could wait on that if you needed to, depending on what level you're starting with. (if you're starting with Pre-Algebra, you'll need the exercises right away, but if you're starting with Primer - Beta, you could probably make up your own problems on a white board for a few weeks while you're testing it).

It was definitely worth it for us!

would you post the link to the MUS yahoo group??

I have 3 kids and we started using MUS...but I must have started them off in too easy of a book...or something and we were skipping a bunch of pages and I felt llike we were wasting...so there began my math adventure...I tried about 3 other programs...ending with Singapore...and that was working great for my mental math guy...but it was bringing my other 2 kids to tears becasue there simply wasn't enough review...so then I reevaluated and decided that MUS was probably the best program for us and went back to it (for the 2 kids who didn't like Singapore)...and I am glad I did...the review of each skill over and over again is exactly what we needed.

I have 3 kids and we started using MUS...but I must have started them off in too easy of a book...or something and we were skipping a bunch of pages and I felt llike we were wasting...so there began my math adventure...I tried about 3 other programs...ending with Singapore...and that was working great for my mental math guy...but it was bringing my other 2 kids to tears becasue there simply wasn't enough review...so then I reevaluated and decided that MUS was probably the best program for us and went back to it (for the 2 kids who didn't like Singapore)...and I am glad I did...the review of each skill over and over again is exactly what we needed.

So 2 are doing MUS and one SM? I think it's great to gear to each student like this. Of course, I combine, but I have combined the two differently for each of the 2 dc who did both of these.

So 2 are doing MUS and one SM? I think it's great to gear to each student like this. Of course, I combine, but I have combined the two differently for each of the 2 dc who did both of these.

Well, I feel like that is one of the MANY benefits of Homeschooling....not only by doing this am I meeting each child's needs, but also my 2 older ones are at about the same level in Math (my daughter (who is older) struggles some and my son doesn't) and that way they aren't in the same book even though he is younger...no competition...

Well, I feel like that is one of the MANY benefits of Homeschooling....not only by doing this am I meeting each child's needs, but also my 2 older ones are at about the same level in Math (my daughter (who is older) struggles some and my son doesn't) and that way they aren't in the same book even though he is younger...no competition...

:iagree:

thanks!!!! Yahoo has a group for just about anything, don't they??

Yes.:D

I did. We switched from Singapore to Rod and Staff, to Math U See, to Horizons and then back to Singapore. Singapore is my preference, because of its rigor. I feel that it teaches the children to think through math. But, it does go too quickly at times and that is when we stop and practice a concept slowly or take a break from that type of math and do something else.

I like the Math U See rods. What turned me off of Math U See was the primer. I thought it expected too much. I haven’t seen the higher ones.

Becky

I'm frustrated with Singapore and would love to try Math U See but it's a little expensive to just "try out". Has anyone else switched? What are your thoughts?

I haven't done that, but I DO supplement MUS with the Singapore workbooks, and right now I like that combo a lot. I love MUS, but I do have the gripe that there are not enough problems, or really not enough "different ways to work the problems."

Someone here referred to it a "plug and chug" and I completely agree.

It is a great program, but personally I feel it definitely needs to be supplemented, and Singapore workbooks work perfectly for that around here.

Good luck!

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
I did. We switched from Singapore to Rod and Staff, to Math U See, to Horizons and then back to Singapore. Singapore is my preference, because of its rigor. I feel that it teaches the children to think through math. But, it does go too quickly at times and that is when we stop and practice a concept slowly or take a break from that type of math and do something else.

I like the Math U See rods. What turned me off of Math U See was the primer. I thought it expected too much. I haven’t seen the higher ones.

Becky

Primer is the only MUS level that doesn't require mastery and is optional. It's basically just to introduce math. Everything in it will be repeated (plus more) in Alpha.