Menu

Thinking about starting a support group for SN families...

Twinmom

...as an extension of the home group ministry at our church. It would involve inviting a small to medium size group of families with children and/or parents who have special needs to meet 2x a month at our home for fellowship, Bible study, etc. We'd probably start by working through a study designed for families raising special kids, then work out from there adding in whatever the individuals in the group think is useful. Prayer, fellowship and a supportive environment where our kids are accepted would be the goal. We'd be looking for occupational therapists from the local college to provide paid child care during the meetings in my home, which is fairly large and has lots of kid friendly sports equipment (a big, safe trampoline, a play gym, therapy swings and other developmental toys.

Am I completely out of my mind for thinking about starting this up? We'd have to lead it, and I've got four special needs kids of my own, I home school and DH travels a lot (though not often on the weekends, which is when we'd meet). What stumbling blocks have I not thought about? What needs do you think we should try to meet for families who might join the group? How big should we let it get (small church, but this would be open to the community)? Any thoughts from you great ladies and gents would be useful ("including you are out of your mind for trying to start something so big!" ;))!

Hadn't thought about that, but in light of it I might have a release of liability drawn up...

When I was teaching in a private religious school the insurance co. required more than one teacher on the playground during recess given the size of the playground and number of children.

I don't know how this works when you're doing something church-related like this in a private home and are hiring someone to watch the kids. Anyway...I would hate to see you run into problems.