Menu

What do you use for grammar in HS? besides Abeka.

Analytical Grammar has HS reinforcement books .

:iagree:

We are using the AG HS reinforcement books after using AG in 6th-7th-8th grade. You may read my review of AG here.

I like AG because it is clear, concise, efficient. If your ds has not completed his grammar instruction, AG can be completed in 1-2 years instead of 3.

We use AG too.

My dd used it 9th and 10th. Next year she will do the HS reinforcement books. I had her write out the sentences and mark them on her own paper instead of writing in the book. I have seen a huge improvement in her grammar abilities over this last two years. She also had used Abeka and it brought nothing but tears for her as well. We then tried Easy Grammar, which helped her figure out prepositional phrases, and how to find the subject and predicate, but not much else.

My ds is using it 6-7-8th and needs to write in the book since he struggles more with handwriting than dd does. He is just in the first season. Since we went through First Language Lesson 1-4 with him, this first season has been somewhat easy, but a good review since we just used misc things last year for 5th grade and this year got back to a serious curriculum.

We're using Winston Grammar with very good results. Short and concise—it does the job.

:iagree:

It's the only program, (for us), that moved the information from short term memory into long term memory.

The teacher presents the lesson. (This takes about five to ten minutes.) The students then practice the concept using a workbook and cards which they use to analyze the sentence. The hands on component makes this abstract subject more concrete and is what makes this program stand out. Winston Grammar is short, sweet and effective.

Winston Grammar Basic covers all parts of speech, while the advanced program moves the student into all advanced concepts. It is a complete program covering all grammar topics.

If you decide to use Winston, I encourage you to begin with Basic. Your young person can work through it very quickly. (About two months) Then they will be prepared for Advanced and will do very well.

Edited by LittleHouseHomeschool