Menu

Waldorf paints-which brand do you prefer?

Hen

Waldorfy-moms,

So, I've been checking out the wonderful links found in the Waldorf threads here...I just ordered Painting with children by B. Muller and also Beyond the Rainbow bridge, and I am ready to order some waldorf style paints, which seem a bit different than the tube watercolors I have always used.

Question- do you prefer the Divinci paints that Paper, Scissors, Stone sells or the Stockmar brand that A child's dream come true sells? And, why do you prefer it?

also, any other books that would help me with art the Waldorf way and creating rhythm for your family/homeschool life? I have older kids, 3rd grade, 5th grade, 8th and 10th..I'm thinking more of the 3 kids in 3rd and 5th grade.

I would love some suggestions on where to start- not making over my homeschool to all Waldorf, but incorporating rhythm/order/rituals and more artwork with our lessons. I noticed in my reading that Waldorf schools start the day baking bread together- this is very appealing to me,not sure if I can pull it off- but it sounds like a wonderful, soothing idea. I was thinking of starting by trying to bake muffins together in the morning for a later snack, and then having a more planned lunch with a set ritual or way of having lunch, and then doing more narrations with Waldorf art. Good start? Suggestions? Do any of you bake bread with your kids?

:lurk5:

Hi!

I am not a Waldorf-Mom, but I DO bake bread with my kids on an almost daily basis. We do not use a bread machine or kitchen-aid...100% handmade and we ALL love this ritual. It begins our day with some thoughts of people who have come before, gives our hands and bodies a bit of rhythmic movement, and makes the house smell wonderful! It also gives us something to check on throughout the day as the bread rises and needs to be punched down. We have recently created a wild yeast mother starter that we are all protective of and coddle regularly. Everyone looks forwardto eating the ceilings of our labor at dinner and the neighbors get little gifts of bread often, too!

Do try this! Very rewarding.

Val

Hi "Hen Jen"...

I prefer the Stockmar paints, only because those are the ones used at school so I never thought to get anything else...The PPS ones may be good, but most I know choose the Stockmar...

"Heaven on Earth" by Sharifa Oppenheimer is the best book I have read on Waldorf style rhythm at home...It has a lot of early childhood information, but the rhythm info is good for any age...There are also sections on discipline and general home life, Waldorf style...

I was never able to bake bread with the boys...It was something I wanted to do, but couldn't manage it because I have never baked bread...I had a friend who did it (she use to work in a bakery and was use to baking bread without a machine), and she enjoyed it...This is something I would like to do though...

Another element of Waldorf that we love here is beeswax modelling...They sell beeswax at Paper Scissors Stone and it is a nice activity...There is a book called "Learning About the World Through Modeling" by Arthur Pittis? (I believe that is his name) that does a great job of explaining it...

Hope this helps...

Tahara,

thank you for your reply :) Yes, I was looking at Heaven on Earth on amazon, I'm going to put it on my christmas list, if I don't get it, then I will order it. I was also looking at one about creating a home, I saw it on several Waldorfy-mom blogs.

Question- do you prefer the Divinci paints that Paper, Scissors, Stone sells or the Stockmar brand that A child's dream come true sells? And, why do you prefer it?

also, any other books that would help me with art the Waldorf way and creating rhythm for your family/homeschool life? I have older kids, 3rd grade, 5th grade, 8th and 10th..I'm thinking more of the 3 kids in 3rd and 5th grade.

I actually still use the tube paints. I just water them down a bit and put them in baby food jars.

For books, I would try Seven Times the Sun by Shea Darian. It's EXTREMELY helpful for setting up rhythm. I know it's a must read for the parents at our local Waldorf school.

I don't bake everyday, but as part of our rhythm we try to have a designated baking day each week. When I was in more of a groove, we did Monday-painting, Tuesday-library, Wednesday-baking, Thursday-craft, Friday-games.

A good resource too is Melisa Nielsen who owns A Little Garden Flower. She has a blog, a Yahoo group, and a lot of helpful resources.

I actually still use the tube paints. I just water them down a bit and put them in baby food jars.

The brands of paint mentioned in the OP do need to be mixed with water. I use baby food jars too. :)

I'm not familiar with Da Vinci, OP, but I use Stockmar because it's non-toxic. I used to buy Grumbacher from A.C. Moore but it has questionable ingredients. There was a thread on a Waldorf forum recently about choosing paints. I can PM you if you're interested.

ZuZu, I'd love a pm, I'd like a link to the Waldorf group- unless it's just for die-hard Waldorf, and I wouldn't fit in...I'm just dabbling in elements of Waldorf really

the ingredients are something I never thought about..good point.

thank you for all the replies :D

I'm on a tight budget and while I'd love to buy the Stockmar paints, I just ordered the Dick Blick brand liquid watercolors in the primary colors. I think they're not as concentrated as Stockmar but the price is so much lower! There was a thread on Mothering that I found via Google where one of the moms pointed out that it's better to paint on a budget than not paint at all... along those same lines I found some beautiful porcelein watercolor mixing trays to use instead of the row of jars in the beautiful wooden jar-holder that are often used (or at least sold) by Waldorfing folks.

I love "The Children's Year" as a source of ideas. So many wonderful projects!

:)

Hi Jen,

We make all kinds of bread, but we regularly make French bread, Struan (wonderful toasting/sandwich bread), and an Italian country loaf. We make sourdough weekly, occasionally try a recipe we've never tried or heard of, just to see what happens and try some new techniques. Our family favorite, which we only do monthly, is biscuits made from scratch...TONS of butter and lots of patience needed, so we limit this...and it also makes for a very early morning :)

I'd love to hear how it goes at your house!

Val

Sure!

We are on vacation right now, but when we get home I will post those three recipes. I will also get you the names of the books that are my favorite bread books. My small library has copies of them, so you should be able to check them out from anywhere. I always try out the library for bread books, then go buy them if they are a hit :)

Val