Menu

Alternatives to FIAR

engu

We've only done 'Madeline' and 'The Story of Ping' (Vol 1), but dd4 and I love the FIAR concept. I've found the stories personally enjoyable. I like the idea of the FIAR Bible supplement too (though we've not used it). I think it will add a spiritual dimension to dd's learning that we've been looking for. For these reasons, I'm keen to get the whole BFIAR and FIAR collection (including the readers) - though not Beyond FIAR just yet.

Just getting the FIAR guide and trying to get library books/interlibrary loans is not an option here in Australia. I've been looking through the Rainbow Resource site, and their packages for FIAR. They're about the cheapest I've found on the www. My only reservation though is the price tag - nearly $700US (BFIAR and FIAR vol 1-3 plus the Bible supplement) - including shipping to get the books to Australia. However, these books should easily last us up to 3 years. So, I guess, the cost is justified.

Also, I afterschool so we're short on time and I'm looking for something that you can pick up and use.

Even though I know that the owners of FIAR frown upon this, I try to buy them used rather than buying them new from RR. (RR is the only place that carries the FIAR manuals new.) I go on ebay, homeschoolclassieds, vegsource, and right here on the WTM for sale forum. FIAR seems to go pretty quickly, here, though. I don't think Before or Beyond go nearly as quickly... which has been good for me because my daughter is older and is doing Beyond. So I can find the BY FIAR manuals relatively easily here.

Also, there are used book sites that I hear are pretty good about shipping to places other than the U.S.

Better World Books sells used books for good prices, but their shipping can take a while. But if you don't mind waiting for your books to arrive, I have read that they are pretty good.

The Book Depository claims to have Free Worldwide shipping. And I've read that they are pretty good, too. From what I've read, their books are often $1 - $3 cheaper than Amazon.

You can also trade books at BookMooch. It's kind of like Paperback Swap, but with an International option.

Have you thought about getting a Kindle? I don't have one, but have read so many wonderful things about them and am thinking about asking for one from Santa. ;)

As an alternative to FIAR I use www.homeschoolshare.com

I believe you can order the FIAR manuals online from www.borders.com.au although I haven't done so. It doesn't show a price so maybe email them first and ask if they actually have them in stock.

There is a seller on ebay that sells a lot of the FIAR books - Nile Books - I think they are called. Just type the name of the book you want in search - they have cheap shipping - I think it's $6.00 flat rate for as many books as you want to order.

Hope that helps:)

As an alternative to FIAR I use www.homeschoolshare.com

I believe you can order the FIAR manuals online from www.borders.com.au although I haven't done so. It doesn't show a price so maybe email them first and ask if they actually have them in stock.

There is a seller on ebay that sells a lot of the FIAR books - Nile Books - I think they are called. Just type the name of the book you want in search - they have cheap shipping - I think it's $6.00 flat rate for as many books as you want to order.

Hope that helps:)

Welcome to the wtm forum:001_smile: