Menu

How has Tae Kwon Do or another martial arts class helped your child(ren)?

jenL

We are debating enrolling my son in a local homeschool Tae Kwon Do class at a very reputable school in our town. As some of you know, my son has attention issues, and over the past few months, we've been dealing with listening/behavior issues on top of it all. He also struggles with bouts of anger or emotional (sad) breakdowns.

A friend suggested martial arts classes. I'm not expecting him to be cured; I'm looking for something that may help him find himself, channel the energy and/or focus better, become better with discipline, all while providing a physical outlet and a skill set for him to learn.

If your child participates in martial arts, how has that journey been for you both?

Dd has had a 1.5 years of TKD and is a Yellow Belt. She has had one year of karate and is a green 2.

This is the painfully shy child that won't speak to people outside the family unless she has to. About 4 months ago sensai had her and another green 2 lead exercise lines. And she belted out orders like nobody's business.

It was a proud moment for all of us.

I've seen a huge boost in my ds's confidence. The first day he had to run to the bathroom twice to throw up...just six months later, he's wearing a green belt with a white stripe and yelling louder than the other kids. He loves to practice and thinks he knows 14 ways to hurt someone. :-) (In reality, he's not strong enough to hurt anyone!)

I think some of your concerns will depend on the teacher. DS's teacher is NOT a good disciplinarian. Her own children run around like banshees before, during and after class. Other kids take their cue from that and there's a lot of horseplay. I, however, don't allow my ds to "play" during class. He's there to learn--and he's learned a lot more than those who fiddle around. I'd go somewhere else, but we have a great deal at the Y. So for now, I'm putting up with it.

channel the energy and/or focus better, become better with discipline, all while providing a physical outlet and a skill set for him to learn.

This right here is what it's done for my rowdy boys.

And I've seen it working well for another child in particular, who has issues similar to what you've described with your son.

:)

Cat

Calvin and Hobbes both do/have done martial arts. Calvin is not rowdy - it helped him with physical strength and coordination, as well as giving him a sense of achievement. Hobbes has a lot of energy and doesn't focus too well - Karate has helped him to use his body in a more controlled way, I think, as well as giving him good (male) role models: both the sensei and other (adult) learners. He is tracking through the belts with two adult men who started at the same time. Whilst we don't see them outside of class, I think that learning with them has been excellent for Hobbes.

Laura

DS is not the rowdy child, but he has some gross motor delays. He started TaeKwonDo at the beginning of October after experiencing another nasty fall that split open his scalp while playing with friends. We have tried all the other sports out there and he has gotten hurt in EVERY single one.

He tested for his yellow stripe on December 4 and PASSED! At the belt ceremony, you could just see the pride oozing out of him. HE had done it - actually completed something that was really difficult for him. (DS is PG academically so school is very easy.) In October, DS could not do a jumping jack, push up, sit up, hop on one leg, stand on one leg, etc. He can now do all of those things.

The studio we go to has the philosophy of working hard, paying attention, manners etc. but also has just the right amount of levity. It is a wonderful experience and DS looks forward to his lessons.

Karate has been incredibly beneficial for my daughter. She is a good student, easy to live with, no problems there. But the amount of personal centering (I don't know how else to describe it) karate has brought her is astounding. A lot depends on the teacher -- this particular teacher starts from a great moral core, and everything radiates outward from that. Highly recommended for any kid who is interested, if you can find a good match with a teacher.