Menu

How would you rate/critique The Voyage of the Dawn Treader?

High ratings. We just saw this today, and enjoyed it. It is my favorite book in the Narnia series. The negative is that they strayed from the book's plot, but it still worked. They needed to stray in order to have the last big battle. As my ds says, when you go to see a movie based on a book, don't expect to see the book. You are seeing a movie, so you can't expect it to be as good as the book. That changes how you view the movie.

We thought it was definitely worth the time and money to see it. We will probably buy it when it comes out on DVD.

Very high ratings!

My beefs:

- They took the sequence of events out of order. I know for the sake of time and the story but my type A personality didn't like it. :lol:

- Prince Caspian seems to have lost his (quite thick) accent between the PC movie and this movie. Obvious congruity errors like that annoy me.

I saw it today as well, and I have to say I'm on the fence about it.

From a parent standpoint, it's harmless. Nothing that could be considered offensive to anyone. There was a small plotline where Lucy wishes to be beautiful. It goes absolutely nowhere, doesn't fit in with anything else in the story, and makes her look needlessly shallow. I'm not sure why they put that in there, but it was a little annoying that the one female character, in the midst of being kidnapped by monsters and forced to do their bidding (and again in the middle of a horrible, life-threatening storm at sea), can only think about wanting to be pretty.

From a movie standpoint, it was so-so, I thought. I'm not a Narnia fan (having only read two books), and I haven't seen the other films, so take this as you will.

I dislike the movie because I see it as a very thinly veiled Christian allegory set in a cheap fantasy story. I don't mind the Christian part, it just lack ANY subtlety. I read The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe, and the whole thing just screamed out "HEY, THIS IS JUST LIKE THE BIBLE! DO YOU GET IT YET?"

The fantasy world it's set in just seems so unimaginative.

On the plus side, the movie clearly had a nice budget, and good effects.

I really think the 3D was unnecessary. It added very little, and made some parts look incredibly unrealistic. More like a pop-up book. I'm always kind of annoyed to have to wear glasses on top of my glasses, especially if the 3D doesn't do much more than add $3 to the ticket price (and then they have the nerve to ask for them back!).

One thing that annoyed me, content-wise, was the boy, Eustace. His voice made my skin crawl, and they went a bit overboard with using him for comic-relief. It really detracted from the tone of the rest of the movie. Also, I don't know if it's my theater or the movie, but Aslan speaking and some internal monologues had some serious low-frequency buzzing going on.

On the whole, it was an okay movie. It's certainly not bad, and while I say the story felt rushed, kids will appreciate the fast pace. I'm sure Narnia fans will like it a lot. I'm not a fan myself, so I'll just say it was alright.

Edited by s.z.ichigo

There was a small plotline where Lucy wishes to be beautiful. It goes absolutely nowhere, doesn't fit in with anything else in the story, and makes her look needlessly shallow. I'm not sure why they put that in there, but it was a little annoying that the one female character, in the midst of being kidnapped by monsters and forced to do their bidding (and again in the middle of a horrible, life-threatening storm at sea), can only think about wanting to be pretty.

From a movie standpoint, it was so-so, I thought. I'm not a Narnia fan (having only read two books), and I haven't seen the other films, so take this as you will.

I am a Narnia fan and thought the movie was "okay."

I can totally see how the part about Lucy didn't make sense if you hadn't read the book. It fits very well in the book, but when they lifted tiny bits and pieces out here and there to fit into a new plotline for the movie, some things got lost in the translation.

I hate to be the voice of dissension, but I did not care for the movie.

The Christian allegory was eliminated and there really was no storyline.

It was like a jumbled, jagged puzzle shoved together.

The characters were running from one action scene to another with special effects thrown in for eye candy.

Seriously if Narnia is to survive on the ultra screen, Andrew Adamson needs to take the helm as director, producter and screenplay writer.

He is a master storyteller which is what is needed to keep Narnia alive.

Anyway you can read my review of the movie at www.amazon.com

Edited by kalphs