Menu

CQLA - Character Quality Language Arts....

3 Blessings

I used this last year with both of my children and LOVED it! But it was too much for us to do in conjunction with TOG. Then the price went up to $80, so we said goodbye. The spelling is VERY weak. The writing (IEW style) was great and my kids improved immensly. It includes a checklist at the end of each writing assignment. The checklist increases as they learn more grammar, etc. Trying to remember, but I think there are three writing assigments a month, two IEW style and one creative. I think it is worth the $ if you have enough time to do all the parts. It doesn't include literature.

Dorothy

After my first post, I went to their website to browse and I see that they have revised the program (at least it is on white paper instead of colored paper.) It looks like they have a sale through April 30 for $69. They also have a month sample online that will give you a feel for how the program flows.

Dorothy

Just wanted to jump in here and say that we've used CQLA this year and I LOVE it. Gee - never thought I'd say that about a LA program, but there it is. It has been a real blessing in trying to get 3 very different kids in 3 levels through all the LA they need. We're using Pre-A, A, and B. I like it because it covers all areas of LA in one book; the teacher notes are on the work pages so we're not flipping around; the weeks and types of exercises are very predictable which promotes independence; the writing instruction is very IEW which works for my kids; and the levels are very flexible. This has helped me stay on track since it is scheduled with doable chunks everyday with virtually no prep time for me. Many people have complained about the spelling (I don't, it's fine for my dc) and I think they have added more spelling practice in the newest addition. We will be starting TOG in the fall, but for the time being we're going to continue with CQLA instead of TOG's writing program.

Let me know if you have more questions. :)

I used it, but found it overwhelming... I am a CQLA drop out! I really, REALLY wanted to love this program. I purchased EVERYTHING (video, teacher manual, spelling book, audio tape, etc) to go with and was so excited to get started.

During the short time I used it, my dd really liked it. I wasn't faithful with using each day (overwhelming to me), and decided to sell it and move onto something less teacher intensive for me.

I have heard there are spelling errors in the curriculum. We didn't make it far enough to find that an issue, and my spelling is horrid anyway, who knows if I would have noticed.

On the old WTM board, there are a few posts about CQLA. I sure wish we could access the archives on the old board too. There has been times I know things were talked about on the old board, went to search, but was disappointed I couldn't. :(

On the old WTM board, there are a few posts about CQLA. I sure wish we could access the archives on the old board too. There has been times I know things were talked about on the old board, went to search, but was disappointed I couldn't. :(

Tina, here's a link that should get you to the old boards: Old WTM boards. You can also do a google search to access the old boards. Just type in site:wtmboards.com then your search terms.

Thanks Denise. :) I did go back to that link, but it won't let you see previous pages. I haven't tried doing a goggle search yet. For some reason I don't like doing searches that way. But I guess I am going to have to get over that quirk. :D

I know what you mean about the google search. I don't like searching the boards that way, but sometimes it helps me find what I'm looking for.

You should be able to go through old boards from that link. Just click on the curriculum board, then go down to the first post "welcome to the new board". From there you can click through to the old board.

hum... I will go try that (scrolling to the bottom). I was just looking for the previous board link at the top of the page.

It worked. Wow! you are amazing!!! You're getting a rep from me for that one. Thanks so much! :D

I'm glad it worked! :001_smile:

It's nice to have access to all that info. still.

I tried to use CQLA Pre-Level A, but it wasn't a good fit for us. I am now using their stand alone writing program, Meaningful Composition. So far, we love it.

I thought CQLA was pretty straightforward in its layout and easy to use. However, I always struggle with multiple subject curricula, because I can't stand to have my student working at something that's not their correct level! When we first tried CQLA, the spelling was too easy, the grammar was about right, and the writing was too hard. When I came back to it later, the writing was okay, the grammar was easy to okay, and the spelling way too easy. Also, by that time we were using Growing with Grammar, and I didn't want to ditch that.

I think the writing instruction in CQLA/Meaningful Composition is excellent. It's very step by step and easy to teach. It's similar to IEW, I think. She calls it a directed writing approach. She teaches key word outlining and an awesome tool called "Checklist Challenge". The CC is basically editing and revising, but is more thorough than anything I've seen in other programs.

That's my two cents worth. ;) It looks like there are a bunch of new samples on their site, so hopefully you can find the right info. to help you with the decision!

I had the same experience as Tina. It is a great program, but I have found it didn't work for me because I want our writing related to our reading.

Jan

P.S. I have Pre A volume 3 posted on the swap board.

Thank you for your comment - :) Would CQLA's "Meaningful Composition" work better for that (writing to compliment your reading)?

On another note: because I have less than 50 posts, I am having a VERY hard time figuring out that swap board. I had a couple posts put on before they changed it to a minimum of 50 posts now I can't seem to remove those. Oh dear! :confused:

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Some info from the old board:

Character Quality Language Arts

http://www.trainingfortriumphhomeschool.com'>http://www.trainingfortriumphhomeschool.com'>http://www.trainingfortriumphhomeschool.com'>http://www.trainingfortriumphhomeschool.com'>http://www.trainingfortriumphhomeschool.com'>http://www.trainingfortriumphhomeschool.com'>http://www.trainingfortriumphhomeschool.com

Level A 3rd-5th

Level B 6th-8th

Level C High school

$55/level

--

Pre A (ages 7-9), A (ages 9-11), B (ages 11-14) and C (age 14 and up). Each level has three volumes. Therefore, your child could spend three years in Pre A, three years in A, three years in B and three years in C.

--

Review

http://trainingfortriumph.home.mchsi.com/oldschoolhousereview.html

Re: Language Arts help

CQLA stands for Character Quality Language Arts. It is a pretty thorough Language Arts program that covers dictation/copywork, editing, basic grammar, making a key work outline as a precursor to the first draft of a paper, then the final draft of the composition is accompanied by a 'check list challenge' where the children are told to take out one 'boring' verb and replace it with a more exciting verb, then gives a list of suggestions. Another plus of the Check list challenge; it is written to the student for the student to work on improving their composition. So, another checklist challenge might be to add in a -ly word somewhere in the first paragraph. Make sure you have indented each paragraph, etc.

It also covers spelling and there is a weekly spelling test on Fridays, as well as a weekly dictation test on Fridays.

It's really nice because all of the editing, grammar work they do usually come from the main body of work to be copied/dictated to...all week long, whether you are working on grammar, or improving your composition, you look back to the original work. We have many times found our final draft to flow, sound better than the original! This is the process used in IEW, but it's incorporated into our LA work each week. The children learn to write better by working from good writing, and improving it! I have my 11 year old type out his final draft and he gets his typing practice in that as well.

This program is very Christian based, though, not secular. If you are living in the secular world and would like to have a peek at CQLA, they do send out a week's sample for you to go over. You might be able to adjust it for your family's beliefs. Let me know if I can be of any more help.

Leslie Van Buren

I did not add anything to it for Middle School or High School. However, literature is not included (there are, here and there, suggestions for further study using a literary work.) but our history has always been literature based. It would be very easy to work that in. Everything else is included.

CQLA is the best of the best, IMHO. She has modeled it after LLATL, Editor in Chief, IEW, Jensen's Grammar and Easy Grammar. What I like most about it (I have looked for this for 8 years) is that the children have to use what they are learning. The dictation is used throughout the whole week to teach the grammar and usage. Plus, they use it for the writing. What they learn in the grammar section they have to use in their writing. I love the IEW approach to writing, but have always been intimidated by it's lack of lesson plans. CQLA takes that approach and put it into lessons. It has given one of my children the structure she needed to gain confidence in her writing. When we started CQLA she wouldn't even write a sentence. Now she is writing a novel in her spare time. She is remembering the grammar that she could never seem to be able to remember with Easy Grammar. I also love the Editing section. Again, they are having to use what they have been learning to correct the passage. It is simply wonderful!

This is not teacher intensive either. At least with the Middle School and High School level. I only look over the writing at the end and do the dictation on Friday with her. Other than that, she is on her own. One could do it with their child if they had time.

I have not used the spelling part of it. I will with my son when he gets old enough to use it.

I hope this helps.

Polly from Homeschoolchristian.com

--

We’ve been using it for two years. I love it! It is what I had looked for for years. I mentioned it below in my post about Winston vs. Easy Grammar.

For my dd, she couldn't (wouldn't) even write a sentence without crying before we started with CQLA. Two years later, she is working on a novel. She loves writing. CQLA has given her the confidence to write because of it's structure. The first two weeks of each unit they do the key word outline approach. The last two weeks they write an original work using the IEW format.

I also love that they are using what they are learning in grammar in their writing. I always wondered why other programs didn't do that. What is the purpose of learning grammar? If you aren't having to apply the knowledge in some way it seems pointless. I couldn't be more pleased with it.

Polly

--

We used levels B & C. Level C takes 10-15min the first day. All the other days take about 20 min. The writing sometimes takes more time than that (usually). We used Level B last year and level C this year. I do not spend any time with her at all (except for checking it and occasional help). We've just started Vol. 2 of Level C.

There were some errors but they were usually apparent and easy to change. I have had the opportunity of meeting them several times. They are a homeschool family, just like you and I. This curriculum has had such a great response that it has grown much more quickly than they expected. They are having a hard time keeping up with the response. Be patient with them. They are trying. They have outside jobs along with this curriculum and their own family responsibilities. Try to be patient and understanding. I know I was concerned about this as first. They will get back with you. It is best to email them. They are on the road a lot and have email access more than phone access.

The grey boxes at the beginning are "levels" (basic, extensions and further). They are the dictation for the week. They have 2-3 different levels per dictation. For example, if you child is in level B and he is advanced you would have him do all of the grey boxes. If he is just starting out, you would only have him do on grey box. The grey boxes on the sides of the pages are just additional information. You can choose to ignore it or use it. I have my dd read them - but not always do them. Sometimes the grey boxes on the sides are grammar card information that they are to copy onto an index card.

It is very easy to follow. You just pick it up and start reading. Just do what it tells you to do. (I know I was a little intimidated at first but it is very simple.) I would recommend you get the teachers manual because it explains the procedure well (especially if you have younger ones).

I hope this makes sense. I have a 1 yr. old coming to my lap every few minutes. Feel free to ask other questions.

Polly

--

I really like CQLA. They have to use what they are learning. She uses a similar approach to EG but the program is fully integrated. What they learn in grammar they use in the writing. It's remembered so much better that way. It's a small family company in Indiana. It's growing like weeds because of the approach. Don't let the smallness scare you into not looking at them. It's a wonderful program. http://www.trainingfortriumphhomeschool.com

--

The vocab and spelling are not a large, time consuming part of the program.

--

Character Quality Language Arts

http://www.trainingfortriumphhomeschool.com

GVA

Pros:

Very easy to use

Covers all areas of language arts including spelling

Uplifting samples

Uses aspects of IEW, LLATL, and others

Cons:

Some of the samples aren't very well written

We're still doing Shurley (grammar only) because there's not enough grammar to stick

Not much variety in terms of what they write unless you use the sidebar suggestions

My plan is to use it for approximately grades 1-3 and then go to Classical Composition.

No regrets, but I don't plan to use it long-term because I think there are better products for the upper grades.

--GVA

It's basically a cross between IEW, Easy Grammar, and LLATL. I decided to drop the spelling portion because it was way too easy, and I use the grammar portion only because there's not much of it and it's easy for my son but keeps some valuable concepts in front of him. We're in the 3-5th grade program (I can't remember the levels off the top of my head - sorry!).

Pros:

Easy to use all-in-one program, mostly independent

Christian content (although some of it is forced IMHO)

Includes copywork, dictation, and editing work

Cons:

The grammar is light for my taste

Some of the passages used aren't that well written

Gail

--

Overall, I was pleased enough to finish it, but not pleased enough to do another year with it.

PRO

All-in-one, very easy to use

Solid grammar/writing

CON

Some of the passages used were poorly written, others were above DS's head (I understand this was supposedly fixed though with the new edition)

The spelling was way too easy for my natural speller

The cycle of outline/rewrite/correct bored both of us after awhile

I discovered that I'd rather pick my topics for writing

This year my oldest is using LLATL, Understanding Writing, and Spelling Workout, and even though that's three programs to manage, it's better all around.

Gail

--

More from the old board...

It's basically a cross between IEW, Easy Grammar, and LLATL. I decided to drop the spelling portion because it was way too easy, and I use the grammar portion only because there's not much of it and it's easy for my son but keeps some valuable concepts in front of him. We're in the 3-5th grade program (I can't remember the levels off the top of my head - sorry!).

Pros:

Easy to use all-in-one program, mostly independent

Christian content (although some of it is forced IMHO)

Includes copywork, dictation, and editing work

Cons:

The grammar is light for my taste

Some of the passages used aren't that well written

Gail

--

Overall, I was pleased enough to finish it, but not pleased enough to do another year with it.

PRO

All-in-one, very easy to use

Solid grammar/writing

CON

Some of the passages used were poorly written, others were above DS's head (I understand this was supposedly fixed though with the new edition)

The spelling was way too easy for my natural speller

The cycle of outline/rewrite/correct bored both of us after awhile

I discovered that I'd rather pick my topics for writing

This year my oldest is using LLATL, Understanding Writing, and Spelling Workout, and even though that's three programs to manage, it's better all around.

Gail

--

Gail

Overall, I was pleased and felt that I got my money's worth for my 3rd grader, but I'm using other things for next year that stress more independent writing for him and more intense grammer. I may do a year of it down the road with my youngest, but it's not something I would use every year.

PROs

Very easy, no-brainer use (I really needed this!)

Nice layout with clear instructions

Christian content

CONs

Some of the passage you do keyword/rewrite on are not very well written and were not age-appropriate for us (lofty content beyond a 8 y.o.)

The spelling was too easy for us, so we skipped it

----

It's sort of like IEW, Easy Grammar, and LLATL all wrapped in one. I've been pleased with it this year. Outside of school, I've had an exceptionally busy year (I work part-time, started a business in the fall, and am finishing a professional certification!), so it's been a lifesaver in terms of the time I've had to spend. You just open it up, mark what the child is supposed to do, and go. My son is in 3rd grade, and we went with the Level for 3rd-5th grade (can't remember which that is, and I'm trying to finish this!).

We won't be continuing it though (next year promises to be easier) because I'm honestly not in love with it. The writing is very repetitive, just like IEW, and I'd like to put in more content-related writing and more variety. Picking keywords from a passage, writing, improving words/adding words, correcting, etc. has worked well, but I think we're ready for more original work. The passages they use are kind of dry too and some of them aren't that well written.

So it was a good choice for us, but not one that I'm going to continue.

Gail

--

Character Quality Language Arts. I know you mentioned before that you didn't like the looks of it because it was discussing "lust". It does not address that as sexual in nature, but any desire one may have for something that is not right.

--

What I liked about CQLA is that the lessons are applied to the writing. The student could easily see the reason behind the lesson.

Kathy

--

Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 20:27:01 -0500 From: "Leslie Van Buren" Subject: RE: Language Arts help

I have used both CQLA and Rod and Staff. In my opinion, CQLA wins hands down. Even my 5th grader likes this program better. Although R & S is a very solid grammar program, it is really dry, and you still need to add in vocabulary, spelling, dictation/copy and creative writing. I believe you can get sample weeks from both programs. I know, for sure, that you can for CQLA. I did struggle with R&S for about 3-1/2 years. I say 'struggle' because my boys disliked it so much. I do not have that problem with CQLA. Hope this helps.

More old comments:

I used this with 3 children. Like you, I liked that it was combination of many of my favorite programs.

We used Volume 1. I used the B level book together with my slightly advanced 6th grader and "phobic speller/writer" 8th grader. I taught the material to them and we did much of the work together. My 9th grader used book C on her own.

To be honest, I liked it well enough for the younger two. I really liked the writing portion. It was very clear and concise. It was probably my favorite part of the whole program.

BUT even though I purchased volume II, only one of my children are going to use it next year.

1) The grammar was just too disjointed for the older two who really just need a solid "tie it all together" overview. There did not seem to be a flow to topics or any logical sequential order. (Yet it was taught well!).

2) There were by far too many mistakes in the key. This did not allow my oldest to work on her own. She would often come to me to find out if her answer or the book was correct.

3) My older children like autonomy in learning. They really like to not have to wait for me or the other children.

We are switching to Jensen's next year for the oldest two. I am going to do one more year of CQLA with my youngest using volume 2, book C. (She did volume 1, book B).

If your children really like small learning bites...and you have time to sit with them, it is a great program.

I think some of the errors will be weeded out in subsequent printings/editions.

Because of the use of the highlighters, which my children loved, this book is not non-consumable. Also to save a little time, I had them cut and paste the grammar rules on to index cards instead of writing them out as the text instructed. These were included in nice little text boxes, so it made it easy to do so.

Over half of the book is answer key. I wish Mrs. Reisch would offer a workbook portion only for families with multiple children.

Also....we did not do a lot of the side bar/tangent information on the character studies as we do our own Bible Study and TOG history.

For a 9th/10th grader...even struggling ones...I would begin with volume 1, book C. The content itself allows for more practice and a little more depth. Then move on to volume 2, book C. Also, for high school level you would want to be sure to do some of the additional writing assignments and add some literature. Most of the reading selections are autobiographical for use with the writing.

All of the volume 1's (A, B,C) cover the same character topics, but they do not work on the grammar in the same order. If I were doing two that close in age, I would have the work in the same book, but they will need their own copy of the text or access to a copy machine.

If you are interested, since I am moving my oldest two on to Jensens, I will be selling my remaining 2 unused volume 2, books C's. One is opened, but unused. The second is in the shrink wrap still. You can e-mail me if you are interested. I wasn't planning on posting yet, but have it pulled out with my "for sale stuff".

Donna

--

Dollhoney

I do very much like the CQLA. It has everything in it, plus character building! Their lessons are based upon a passage (either scripture quote, story, book quotation) that has character value. The lessons encompass grammar, writing, spelling, editing, copywork, dictation....all that good stuff together in one package! The Check-Out that you mentioned is where they revise the work they did earlier in the week....it gives the child or teacher a checklist to go by. It goes step-by-step, so probably once you got to doing it, you'd feel comfortable with it.

I found the Rod & Staff too "stuffy" for my tastes. I am very relaxed about language arts....I feel my kids learn this stuff and pick it up across the other areas in our curriculum. But, I am trying the CQLA and like it so far.

I have looked at IEW and seen some samples of writing from kids who use it and it seems, I don't know, kind of "stilted" to me. It's almost like the kids are so concerned with getting a certain number of "dress-ups" in each paragraph without thinking about the overall sound of the piece. I feel certain that none of them would actually SPEAK that way. Of course, with the daily mangling of our language that goes on in the mass media, you almost can't use the "write as you would speak" method of writing any more because kids so rarely get to hear English spoken as it should be.

--

I haven't actually used IEW, but I've borrowed the materials from a friend for several weeks. From that background, I would say that IEW and CQLA have the same weakness, at least at the level I was using. Remember that my son was using Level A.

The upper levels may be better with independent writing, but a year of the cycle of keywords, write, dress-up, and repeat kind of wore us down, especially because my son just couldn't relate to most of the passages. I could see the progress, but it did get tiresome. That's why even though we're involved in Classical Conversations, I'm not using IEW. We need a break from that type of thing.

We're using "Understanding Writing" next year, and after that we'll see.

Gail