Menu

Help finding info about careers with animals, please!!!!

My dd is interested in training animals either for law enforcement or for working with the disabled. I have no idea what type of degree she should pursue, how we should plan her high school courses to help her achieve her goals, or how to find out how she would find a job like this after graduation. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!! Thanks in advance! :confused: but :001_smile: for all those here who are always willing to help!

Kelly

I know that there are dog grooming schools and volunteer organizations that teach you how to train service dogs (some of these take up to 2 years.) If you are looking for a major in college, I would suggest a business degree and work towards doing the dog training on the side. I have known several successful small businesses and most of the owners have a 4 year degree in business.

Some of the world's most respected trainers have degrees in Applied Animal Behavior, Zoology, Behavioral Psychology and Marine Biology.

I don't know where you live, but Jean Donaldson, an AMAZINGLY insightful trainer, founded The Academy for Dog Training in San Francisco.

One of the biggest professional organizations for trainers is the Association of Pet Dog Trainers. There's a "careers" section on their website.

Regarding training for law enforcement: I have several friends who compete in the K9 sports of Schutzhund and French Ring, which incorporate a lot of military/law enforcement behaviors into competitive sport. That's where the sports originiated, in fact. From what they tell me, it's very difficult to break into the ranks of law enforcement training without actually being IN law enforcement oneself.

How old is she? Do you have a dog yourself? I'd encourage her (if she's not already done so!) to work with your dog, or that of a neighbor. Get her some training books -- I can suggest a few if you'd like-- and maybe title your dog in something. It's never too late for dogs to learn new behaviors, and it will be a great resume builder for her. Is there a dog 4-H club nearby? My dd does a lot of her training through her local 4-H club. Also, if there's a training club in your area, visit, watch some classes, and maybe enroll in a few. All trainers have to start somewhere, and she'll get a good foundation from taking a few classes with great trainers.

Your daughter sounds amazing, and I completely applaud her goals of training dogs-- something that's near and dear to not only my heart but to my dd's as well. Feel free to PM me or email me if you've got more questions, or if I can help! We should get our dd's together with their dogs-- Molly would love to have a training partner!

astrid

I think that a zoology degree with a business minor would be good. Also, a Vet Tech degree might allow her to work within a practice that offers animal training...some of the big animal practices near our State Ag School do this. It's also interesting work because they offer physical therapy/rehabilitation to injured police dogs.

I'd check with your local ag school/land grant university because that is probably the school with the largest veterinary science/zoology department and can point you to the right people.

Faith

Thanks for all the great ideas already!!! Astrid, I wuld love your advice on the books about dog training, as there seems to be so much out there and we need to focus on the things that would be most beneficial. I wish we were a little closer than IL!!! I will check into 4H and see what they have available. Thanks again for all the help from all of you!!!

Sure thing!

My favorite place to browse dog books is dogwise.com.

Here's a list of top books:

http://www.dogwise.com/Browse/SubCatList.cfm?SubCat=Recommended

I love anything by Jean Donaldson, and recommend that she read The Culture Clash first to get a good idea of how canines think, behave and relate to humans. I cannot recommend that book highly enough.

My dog training library also includes several titles by Patricia McConnell, (The Other End of the Leash: Why We Do What We Do Around Dogs, How to Be The Leader of Your Pack, Feeling Outnumbered: How to Manage and Enjoy a Multidog Household,) as well as many books on positive reinforcement (clicker) training. I've got many of the titles on this list:

http://www.dogwise.com/search.cfm I especially like Clicker Training for Obedience by Morgan Spector.

If she's got more specific training goals, I'd encourage her to browse around on the Dogwise site. They carry just about every dog training book that's out there.

Hope that helps!

astrid

Sure thing!

My favorite place to browse dog books is dogwise.com.

Here's a list of top books:

http://www.dogwise.com/Browse/SubCatList.cfm?SubCat=Recommended

I love anything by Jean Donaldson, and recommend that she read The Culture Clash first to get a good idea of how canines think, behave and relate to humans. I cannot recommend that book highly enough.

My dog training library also includes several titles by Patricia McConnell, (The Other End of the Leash: Why We Do What We Do Around Dogs, How to Be The Leader of Your Pack, Feeling Outnumbered: How to Manage and Enjoy a Multidog Household,) as well as many books on positive reinforcement (clicker) training. I've got many of the titles on this list:

http://www.dogwise.com/search.cfm I especially like Clicker Training for Obedience by Morgan Spector.

If she's got more specific training goals, I'd encourage her to browse around on the Dogwise site. They carry just about every dog training book that's out there.

Hope that helps!

astrid

:iagree:

I find Patricia McConnell's writing to be very good, brief and right to the point!