Menu

Recording/Mixing your own music...anyone?

Has anyone here had experience helping their kids record their own music/make CD's?

The girls have been performing quite a bit lately and writing their own songs, and we'd like to get them the equipment they need to record/mix/produce their own CD's. I am clueless about all of that :tongue_smilie:.

I have spoken with one person who suggested a Mac and program called Logic, but I was wondering if there's any decent, similar software for a non-Mac household.

TIA for any advice you might have!

:bigear:

:bigear:

I'd love to get some information about this, too.

We were just recording a song tonight on my 4 track Zoom... I think it will work out well but it is an extremely simple piece. Piano, Vocals, back-up.

I have an older version of SONAR for PC but the bugs were really hard to work out and the learning curve is huge. Plus you need other recording hardware ---Arg --- it was really frustrating!!!

(I have heard that garage band for the mac is really fantastic. I am afraid I have apple-envy.)

My 16 year old son has volunteered at our church on the tech teacm and now has a part time job doing mixing and other related things. He says that ideally you would get a 4,6, or 8 channel mixing board and a CD recorder. He hasn't heard good things about Logic, he says that garageband is the ultimate computer program but it is Mac only. Audacity is a free program that you can download. That would be the last choice. All of these would require a good microphone. He says that a good microphone is key. Shure SM58 is a sturdy microphone which will need phantom power (a lot of microphones would need this).

Thanks, Kendall, and thank your son for his input as well. I think it may be worth it to save up for the Mac & use their programs, after asking around little more IRL too.

Jen, you're farther along than we are...we've just been recording on the MP3 and transferring it. That's as far as my tech-unsavvy self can go on my own :D.

I have just finished a chapter in The Girl's Guide to Rocking: How to Start a Band, Book Gigs, and Get Rolling to Rock Stardom by Jessica Hopper about how to record on your own, including using a Mac (she points out that Macs come with GarageBand already loaded so that way you can record music files). If you can get a copy of this book, it might prove helpful (I have mine from the library).

In the chapter on recording, she points out that you can get a Tascam four track recorder for cassette tapes new for $150, but you can also find them on Craigslist for $50 or less. A new Tascam that records digitally (so that way you can make MP3 files) will be about $250. Maybe someone you know has a four track recorder that you can use or borrow?