Menu

Chalkdust, AoPS, LoF

LisaKinVA

I'll be using Challenging Word Problems alongside TT for my youngest boy next year... however, I'm working on my older two.

I have planned on using Chalkdust for Basic Math through Calculus, along with LoF, but now I'm wondering about throwing in AoPS

Does AoPS do something (approach, thought process) that is different from these other two courses?

Is there any reason you wouldn't add in AoPS?

My oldest will be doing Algebra I next year

My stb 9yo dd will be doing Pre-Algebra (LoF books is what I've planned)

My 7yo ds will complete TT6, go through Chalkdust Basic Math, and SM Challenging word problems 5/6 next year -- before starting LoF series.

I don't need "more" for the sake of haivng "more." But, I do like the idea of giving them different approaches and a deeper understanding... So, for those who have BTDT, would you add AoPS or not?

Of all the programs you mention, I am familiar with AoPS only.

This said, I would not use AoPS to add it to something else - it is an extremely rigorous program that in itself is more than a full traditional curriculum. So if I am choosing AoPS, I would not see any need to bother with any other program at the same time.

Of all the programs you mention, I am familiar with AoPS only.

This said, I would not use AoPS to add it to something else - it is an extremely rigorous program that in itself is more than a full traditional curriculum. So if I am choosing AoPS, I would not see any need to bother with any other program at the same time.

:iagree:

AoPS is completely different in approach than CD. CD teaches in typical textbook fashion.....teach the child how to approach a problem and help them learn how to implement that approach. AoPS is more of a discovery approach and proving the concept.

AoPS is definitely not an add-on. ;)

What did your child use up to now? If he used TT, AoPS is going to be a vastly different approach. If he used SM, it isn't really that approach but more along those than TT. What his background is up to now and how much he likes to puzzle over problems should help you determine whether AoPS alg is a good match.

sorry, but what is TT?

After I saw this I googled chalkdust. I think it might be a good fit for my DS with SM challenging word problems. I like that it has an instructor and he doesn't seem to dwell very long on specific items.. I also found a gifted and talented book at barnes and noble which might be a good supplement.

Edited by Ummsamiyah

TT = Teaching Textbooks. I like using it with my 7yo, because he can work much more independently, and there is a lot less writing (workbook + computer instruction). My 7yo will transition from TT to Chalkdust Basic Math (if needed) and LoF in 4th grade... he's about a year behind in writing, and most other texts require a lot of hand-copying that does no more than add to his frustration level.

TT isn't on the same math "level" so-to-speak as most other math problems, but it works for us with younger kids who do math really well, and gives me a bit of a break IYKWIM...

:iagree:

What did your child use up to now? If he used TT, AoPS is going to be a vastly different approach. If he used SM, it isn't really that approach but more along those than TT. What his background is up to now and how much he likes to puzzle over problems should help you determine whether AoPS alg is a good match.

My oldest started out in Saxon... which we ditched after a month. We went to Singapore Math through 3A/B, when we were both getting stuck (I think it was my fault, I was having a really big difficulty using those lessons). We went from that to Sadlier-Oxford with K12 which seemed to be pretty good. Then into K12 Pre-Algebra A (hated that text), now in K12 Pre-Algebra B (loathe this format). Purchased LoF, which we are using -- my dd (8.5) loves these. I'm not sure how oldest feels yet -- he "says" he's doing LoF, but he's just reading the stories, not doing the application... and then I get the big "huff and whine."

My oldest is very bright, but very lazy. He does not like being challenged -- but then complains about everything being "boring." He needs a challenge, and he needs to start thinking out of the box.

For my part, I need something fairly easy to implement. Something I can help guide him through, but don't have to teach every step of the way. Good instruction + good examples + good options for practice.

AoPS has a different approach, and I don't want to hamstring my son -- and keep his options open.

I'm in a brain fog right now... all of these wonderful meds make me dizzy, so I"m sorry for the rattling on. Hopefully, you get the gist of what I'm trying to do.

AoPS is amazing.

If your kid can handle it. . . and you can handle it, then GO FOR IT.

If you want it as a supplement, then you could do a semester of Number Theory and/or Counting & Probability (semester each) in between other standard materials. . .

But, I imagine that if your kid(s) can handle & like AoPS, you'll switch over completely. It's on a whole 'nother level. . .

I don't need "more" for the sake of haivng "more." But, I do like the idea of giving them different approaches and a deeper understanding... So, for those who have BTDT, would you add AoPS or not?

My son uses AoPS as a supplement to his school's math. He likes AoPS too much to give it up (the school's material is pretty good, too). It definitely helped solidify concepts for him.

Neither my husband nor I work with him, btw. He sets his own pace and does the problems himself. However, some children prefer to be helped along the way, which is perfectly fine, but the problems can be stumpers for even adults who feel comfortable with math.

Good luck. HTH. :)

TT isn't on the same math "level" so-to-speak as most other math problems, but it works for us with younger kids who do math really well, and gives me a bit of a break IYKWIM...

What do you mean by this? I gave my DS the sample lesson and he l-o-v-e-d it. He already loves math and does it well but he hates writing like to the 10th power! I am planning on getting the TT and supplementing with Math for the Gifted Students by Flash Kids. He loves this as well. Lisa, your DO might benefit from that as well. DD is currently doing SM and we have AoPs Number Theory, but we have been using LOF as well so she kind of jumps around getting what she needs to not frustrate her with AoPs. We are using it as a supplement and only the text with solutions not the online course She really loves math... can you tell?:tongue_smilie:

All I mean is that my 7yo can easily do TT Math 6 -- but in a different math program he is in Math 4, same work -- but the scope & sequence is completely different. My 7yo LOVES TT and Fred... I'm tempted to try him with TT7/Pre-Algebra, but will really miss the gradebook feature ;)

I will be getting TT3, when my 4yo gets to that level -- she will love it too, I can already tell.

My daughter tends to flourish no matter what math I put her into...as long as she can go at her speed, she's happy. Even when she spent 2.5 hours on this K12 Math+ Yellow assessment (online), she didn't complain as much as I did;). She LOVES Fred, gets math very easily, although it is NOT her favorite subject. She is very much looking forward to NON-computer work. This past year, she has very much blossomed into a book-worm, and is tackling books most 8yo wouldn't glance at (let alone read...). I think she would enjoy AoPS, she will "do" Chalkdust... she could do any curriculum and be just fine.

My oldest son is my quandry. I honestly have NO IDEA where he truly is... what type of curriculum really sticks with him.

Chalkdust DOES tend to make his eyes glaze over... and all of the problems on the page make him shudder. Fred... well, he's the cheating type, and he reads it more than DOES it. When we had his full evaluation at JHU, they suggested we bring him in for the Visual/Spatial a couple of years later (we didn't bother). He is my child is the one who thinks he KNOWS everything better than anyone else, refuses to "do" things he "doesn't think he needs to" -- and will otherwise pitch royal fits if things are too hard, but doesn't want them to be too easy either. He is the child I worry about all. the. time.

I feel like, with him, I need to have *every* math curricula that might possibly be enjoyable, because he gets "bored" so easily. This will be our 4th major curriculum switch-up for him in 6 years. (His 4th math curriculum, not including SM supplements or Fred).

His being my "first" -- he's also the one I'm afraid to mess up. The other kids are doing so well in everything, he is just my anomoly.

He reads, but not what he "could" read (IYKWIM). He says he wants more challenging work, then balks at it. He talks about wanting to go to MIT, but doesn't show the drive, determination or passion that would be necessary to get into a school like that... He's my big frustration... the child that keeps me up at night worrying I'm doing the wrong thing. I turn myself inside out over this kid (can you tell?)

I guess my thought is that AoPS isn't THAT expensive. I know Chalkdust is a solid curriculum, and will get him through. I know Fred is a "fun" curriculum, that is also supposed to be pretty thorough. I just don't want to pick one and have it flop... and then recreate the wheel. Maybe if we do switch his math programs around a bit, he will stay interested and engaged and I can see where he's at... and take comfort in that.

Sorry for the ramble... this kid drives me nuts. But I love him, and want the best for him... so very much.

All I mean is that my 7yo can easily do TT Math 6 -- but in a different math program he is in Math 4, same work -- but the scope & sequence is completely different. My 7yo LOVES TT and Fred... I'm tempted to try him with TT7/Pre-Algebra, but will really miss the gradebook feature ;)

I will be getting TT3, when my 4yo gets to that level -- she will love it too, I can already tell.

My daughter tends to flourish no matter what math I put her into...as long as she can go at her speed, she's happy. Even when she spent 2.5 hours on this K12 Math+ Yellow assessment (online), she didn't complain as much as I did;). She LOVES Fred, gets math very easily, although it is NOT her favorite subject. She is very much looking forward to NON-computer work. This past year, she has very much blossomed into a book-worm, and is tackling books most 8yo wouldn't glance at (let alone read...). I think she would enjoy AoPS, she will "do" Chalkdust... she could do any curriculum and be just fine.

My oldest son is my quandry. I honestly have NO IDEA where he truly is... what type of curriculum really sticks with him.

Chalkdust DOES tend to make his eyes glaze over... and all of the problems on the page make him shudder. Fred... well, he's the cheating type, and he reads it more than DOES it. When we had his full evaluation at JHU, they suggested we bring him in for the Visual/Spatial a couple of years later (we didn't bother). He is my child is the one who thinks he KNOWS everything better than anyone else, refuses to "do" things he "doesn't think he needs to" -- and will otherwise pitch royal fits if things are too hard, but doesn't want them to be too easy either. He is the child I worry about all. the. time.

I feel like, with him, I need to have *every* math curricula that might possibly be enjoyable, because he gets "bored" so easily. This will be our 4th major curriculum switch-up for him in 6 years. (His 4th math curriculum, not including SM supplements or Fred).

His being my "first" -- he's also the one I'm afraid to mess up. The other kids are doing so well in everything, he is just my anomoly.

He reads, but not what he "could" read (IYKWIM). He says he wants more challenging work, then balks at it. He talks about wanting to go to MIT, but doesn't show the drive, determination or passion that would be necessary to get into a school like that... He's my big frustration... the child that keeps me up at night worrying I'm doing the wrong thing. I turn myself inside out over this kid (can you tell?)

I guess my thought is that AoPS isn't THAT expensive. I know Chalkdust is a solid curriculum, and will get him through. I know Fred is a "fun" curriculum, that is also supposed to be pretty thorough. I just don't want to pick one and have it flop... and then recreate the wheel. Maybe if we do switch his math programs around a bit, he will stay interested and engaged and I can see where he's at... and take comfort in that.

Sorry for the ramble... this kid drives me nuts. But I love him, and want the best for him... so very much.

Lisa,

I'm having a difficult time following your posts. I'm tired and seriously multi-tasking (I am sewing non-stop during almost every available moment right now, so it is me!)

My rambling reaction is this.......a 7 yo doing TT 6 isn't really doing very advanced level math. So, I wouldn't necessarily consider that any sort of acceleration. I would base your evaluation of ability off of other sources. I would not use CD basic math with a young child. IIRC, it is actually a remedial college text......dry as toast for a little kid.

I don't know anything about LOF, but based on how you describe your ds, if you think he is distracted from the actual math in Fred, I would not go that route. I would probably not select any of the texts you have listed. Based on how you describe him

He is my child is the one who thinks he KNOWS everything better than anyone else, refuses to "do" things he "doesn't think he needs to" -- and will otherwise pitch royal fits if things are too hard, but doesn't want them to be too easy either.
I'm not sure I would use AoPS with him either. AoPS is a great program for kids that like to explore math and I'm not sure how the "refuses" and "doesn't need to" will react to its approach.

I would actually recommend a text like Foersters over what you have listed. Foerster makes it very clear as to why you need to know alg and why you do what you do. He lays out his argument clearly and concisely. It is an excellent text that will not deprive him of any skills that he needs.

My rambling posts are more a side effect from narcotic pain killers (post-surgery), inability to sleep after getting off the pain killers yesterday... and well, rolled into a really bad day with oldest DS.

FTR, I have no plans to put my 7yo DS (or 8yo DD) into Chalkdust at this point. I do plan for both of them to use Fred, different math games/puzzles, and AoPS, possibly with TT or CD, whichever they prefer. I'm not really worried about these two math-wise. My 7yo's favorite thing is math... he gets up early for math games, and would play them all day long. I want him to enjoy it. He can do LoF Fractions and Decimals without issue, and is probably ready for LoF Pre-Algebra like his older DS, but I'm not ready for him to be there yet (if that matters).

My oldest (11) did horribly with Dociani's Pre-Algebra text (which makes me leary of the Algebra test), needs some structure, good solid examples... but does do better with humor than dry text. He likes to interact with things and people. He was my child who wouldn't practice math facts for anything (there were no games that would hold his interest... at. all.). He is good at math. He does have a knack for math. He doesn't apply himself or like to take risks (big issues we are working on).

In addition to oldest DS's needs, I need a solid curriculum *I* can follow, that *I* can understand (at least through Algebra II, at which point, I get to pawn math off onto DH, because it's more his thing than mine). I need a path I can follow from point A to pont B, structure, clear examples with problems derived from the examples. CD works for me. TT works for me. LOF works for me, AoPS... haven't seen it, but hoping it won't give me a headache...lol.

I know nothing about Forresters. Guess I will go do some looking.

Thank you all for the help. I am sorry about the rambling... it will get better, I promise:D