Menu

Anyone still doing the loop schedule?

mama27

I tried to make the loop work here... had it all worked out and a nice someone from this board even held my hand. After all that, realistically it just does not work in our house. I think it's just the way we do things.

My kids have certain work they are required to do each day. It's filed in their workboxes and they do it. My key for getting art, music, geography things like that in or the "extras" so to speak is to have Fridays open for these things and we've been doing a good job of getting to everything. Also, if my kids would not go for "moving onto another lesson" in the same day. In other words... if they still had time left and hit math again in their loop they would NOT enjoy doing another math lesson.:D

So... my need for the loop turned out not to be great. Just one of those organizational things that didn't fit our needs. I think it's a great idea in theory though and I know it works for many!:001_smile:

stacey can you give me a bit of an idea as to how you do your loop with your basic subjects? I think I have an idea, but would love an example from you if you don't mind. Thanks

Our basic subjects are ones that we cover every day--not necessarily in our "loop". Ds gets a checklist everyday which includes math, english (alternating grammar and writing lessons), history, and Bible/life skills (again, alternating lessons every other day). When that's done, he gets a break. After the break, we do a loop subject. Included in the loop are science, art, and Latin.

We started out with a more complex loop system in Aug. He had a time slot for a Loop 1 subject and a Loop 2 subject every day. I had one short loop for things I wanted to cover more frequently and a longer loop for those that didn't need to be covered very often. (You can also put one subject in the loop more than once if you want it covered more often.) With his co-op situation and tutoring sessions outside the house, it was just too much.

Hopefully that explanation made sense! Let me know if you have other questions.

I ended up filing, but the things we don't get to in a day are the things we do first the next day. That way, we make sure they get done and caught up before we get further and further behind in them. before I began this method, we were repeatedly skipping the same classes, the ones I had scheduled for last in our day. So our "loop" is to do the leftovers from the day before first. We note them on our whiteboard for the next morning. This has really helped us do everything!

Our basic subjects are ones that we cover every day--not necessarily in our "loop". Ds gets a checklist everyday which includes math, english (alternating grammar and writing lessons), history, and Bible/life skills (again, alternating lessons every other day). When that's done, he gets a break. After the break, we do a loop subject. Included in the loop are science, art, and Latin.

We started out with a more complex loop system in Aug. He had a time slot for a Loop 1 subject and a Loop 2 subject every day. I had one short loop for things I wanted to cover more frequently and a longer loop for those that didn't need to be covered very often. (You can also put one subject in the loop more than once if you want it covered more often.) With his co-op situation and tutoring sessions outside the house, it was just too much.

Hopefully that explanation made sense! Let me know if you have other questions.

yes!! That makes perfect sense, thank you for your response.

I'm going to a loop for our read-alouds. We are so far behind and I almost have a job (crossing my fingers!) so it might get tougher. Skill subjects go into the workboxes and the read alouds are going on a list. And I'm just going to move down the list everyday, probably for 30 min to an hour, hopefully we will get caught up!

This is what we do. I have that which we do daily, 4 days a week, and loop material that I do every other day, 2 times a week. Over the last year or two I have found less and less is on the loop schedule. I am not sure if this is because I am doing a better job of getting hs done, we are more efficient, and I know some is due to other programs dropping off and making room for new stuff.

Right now my oldest only math corrections on her loop. My 2nd dd loop is only math and grammar corrections/review. My 3rd dd is learning CW Aesop or more specifically outlines as well as corrections are on her loop. My ds has a bunch of stuff on his loop still, so maybe it things out as they master material? Or as they can do more independent work?

I just know that when I started it I really needed it.

Heather