Menu

Will DS need to use a graphing calculator on the SAT or ACT?

I just realized his SAT is coming up in June, and we don't even have a graphing calculator. I saw an online sample of TT PreCal that is basically a lesson in how to use one--it jogged my thoughts that perhaps it's a skill he'd need for the test. What do you think?

Also, is it true there's little geometry on the SAT now?

The geometry on the SAT: area and circumference of a circle, area & perimeter of rectangles, triangles, and shapes made from combinations of these. Vertical angles, parallel lines w/ alternate interior angles, sum of the angles in a triangle, Pythagorean Theorem, "special" right triangles, volume of a box. Knowing how to set up and solve a proportion involving sectors of a circle and arc length. Most of the formulas are provided but it's better to have them memorized--it takes too much time to look them up and these are basic things they should already know.

You do NOT need the graphing functions of a graphing calculator for those tests. Most students prefer to use a graphing caluclator because of the multi-line display--and the way it allows you to enter in a complex problem (since you can use parenthesis). You can check to see if you plugged in the correct problem BEFORE you push the equal sign.

The cheaper option is to purchase a TI-30 or TI-30-XIIS. These cost around $15 and come in some cool colors (we have a few in NEON colors--and they are easier to find around the house!). This calculator has a MULTI-LINE display just like the graphing calculators--just no graphing option. It is EASY to just pick up and use. A week or 2 of using it before the test and it will dramatically DECREASE the time spent on each problem--this can be VERY helpful to most students. This is the only calculator I recommend to ALL of my students for Algebra 1, Geometry and Algebra 2. It is very easy to transition from this calculator to the graphing calculator for Pre-Calc.

You do NOT need the graphing functions of a graphing calculator for those tests.

The cheaper option is to purchase a TI-30 or TI-30-XIIS. These cost around $15 and come in some cool colors (we have a few in NEON colors--and they are easier to find around the house!). This calculator has a MULTI-LINE display just like the graphing calculators--just no graphing option. It is EASY to just pick up and use. A week or 2 of using it before the test and it will dramatically DECREASE the time spent on each problem--this can be VERY helpful to most students. This is the only calculator I recommend to ALL of my students for Algebra 1, Geometry and Algebra 2. It is very easy to transition from this calculator to the graphing calculator for Pre-Calc.

Jann,

Thank you for this info. Can I ask what is the difference between the calculator you listed above and just a 'regular' one? My dd has only used a regular 1.00 calculator from Walmart for basic operations. I'm wondering what else she could use it for if we got the one above. Thank you

Debbie

The TI-30 is a 'regular' scientific calculator. The MAJOR difference is that you get to SEE what you input--including the SIGNS. You see the whole problem not just the answer (what you see with the $1 calculators). If you type in "7 + 5" and then push "=" you will see the WHOLE problem in the display:

7 + 5 = 12 This reduces typing errors and allows multi-step problems to be inputted at one time--this saves time and reduces errors.

It has a multi-line display and the ability to use parenthesis.

It is VERY user friendly.