Menu

Online or DVD science

DragonFaerie

My son is not a very strong reader but he does really well working on the computer. He is currently doing Teaching Textbooks for math and loving it. He also uses the Phonics Page and Spelling City. What I'd love to find for him is an online or DVD based science program, preferably secular, for 3rd grade. I really like how Time 4 Learning works but I don't think it's comprehensive enough. I also really like how SOS works but reviews have said it's pretty dull (not to mention its not the least bit secular). Critical Thinking looks a bit complicated to navigate. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

The Simple Homeschool has online units for science. I bought the k-6 for my 3rd grade son. So far, he has only read the volcanoes one. We're starting one of the interactive ones tomorrow. If you pop over to their website, you can sign up for the 12 days of freebies starting tomorrow. They have sample units available for free, as well.

http://www.thesimplehomeschool.com

Jennifer

They also have an online program. http://www.oakmeadow.com/curriculum/demo_select.cfm

Hmm...seems like the lower grades are written to the parent.

I just looked at it and all it is, it seems, is the .pdf files available online instead of for download. Still not true DVD or online science curriculum. Are you guys familiar with T4L or SOS and how their online programs work? That's exactly what I'm looking for except that T4L is not comprehensive enough and rumor has it that SOS is dull and boring. Is there anything else out there like these?

It's going to be difficult to find an online program for a third grader, as they aren't strong readers. Also, science for that age is usually best hands-on.

He'd probably have fun just watching the Happy Scientist videos a few days a week and maybe trying some on his own. No reading, but fun, for a weak reader.

My DD is currently 3rd grade and she is just using a traditional textbook. We are actually both pretty happy with it. However, she reads at almost an 8th grade level and is much more academically capable than my DS. My original plan was to use this same text for him next year but don't think he'll be ready for it (and he does NOT want to sit and listen to me read to him anymore than absolutely necessary; :tongue_smilie:).

You get a teacher account and a student account. The teacher account lets you choose the classes, test, games and you can add other subjects. My kids sign up and they do the lesson,test and game with no help from me. If he likes TT and will love aha science. Very ease to use.

I think we might have a winner! Is it $15 per year or $15 per month?