Menu

Has anyone used Aha! Science?

fshinkevich

• 1 month later...

I'm looking into this, too. I particularly want to know how many lessons there are per instructional module and how thoroughly the information is covered. The online sample of the instruction module covered quite a bit of information but did not go in depth. I'm wondering if the lessons cover that information again in more detail? Surely somebody here has used it.

:bigear:

• 2 weeks later...
We use it and are quite pleased!

elementary and for middle school.

Can you give me some details about it? Is it fairly independent? Of reasonable depth? How long do the lessons take? Can the student find his way from section to section easily (directed) or do they skip around? I was hoping they would offer a free trial but no dice.

So I read this post and decided to try Aha Science out. Not a huge investment, so worth the risk.

Dd 7 (2nd grade) loves it and has spent an hour each of the last two days on the site, just for fun. It's not a complete curriculum more of a great introduction to the topics. After watching the main Lesson there are 1-2 more lessons that go more in depth, then the kids can play games, do at home activities, and take a test. Perfect for the advanced 2nd grader, but not enough for my science minded 4th grader(he liked it but says "I already knew all of that"). The program set-up had me pulling my hair out though. It doesn't give detailed instructions on setting up classes, adding students, or assigning curriculum(that I could find). So wait to sign up for this program during West coast business hours, so you can call and get help. Once you get everything set up it's easy to assign the units. My only issue is that you must logout and then the child must log in. This takes away from truly "idependent" study, but, for $15 I'm not going to complain too much.

*there are 33 units (I think) covering all 3 major branches of Science.

If anyone has specific questions, I can try to answer them from my limited knowledge. HTH

Edited by foxbridgeacademy

So they listen to the main lesson and then they do 1-2 more supplemental lessons/activities. Then what? Do they answer questions or do quizzes online or is everything else printed out? Do you think it's detailed enough to give a general overview for 3rd and 4th grades? Neither of my kids are particularly science-oriented and I'm looking for something that will just give them a foundation on which to build in greater detail as they approach the middle school years.

I've got the Site pulled up in another window so hopefully I get all my info right.

The section I'm going to do is on the human body.

First you watch the intro video-

This gives an overview and talks about what an organ is, which organs do what tasks. How they work together in systems. In the intro they go over the digestive, urinary, circulatory, respiratory, and skeletal systems. This takes about 15 minutes or so.

Next you can go on to more in depth lessons on the heart, lungs, or kidneys, in whichever order you want. I didn't take the time to listen through them, but my Dd really liked it and doesn't think the lessons lasted to long.

Next there’s a game that goes along with the lessons, it looks cute and again Dd really liked it.

Then you can print out an "observation" W.S. where using tofu you recreate digestion. My son will love it. There’s a Journal section, (sorry my browser froze up can't give details on that) Then lastly an online quiz.

I really think it's worth a try and for $15 you aren't losing much.

For a child who hadn't decided at the age of 5 he was going to be an Engineer, I think the program would work just fine as a very detailed intro for 3-5th graders. I would only add some library books (like eyewitness series) and a discussion and call it good. For those particular topics. There are only 33 sections/topics. Some things are bound to be missed. I'm going to try and post a list of the topics, if I can find an easily copied one.

HTH

Edited by foxbridgeacademy

I've got the Site pulled up in another window so hopefully I get all my info right.

The section I'm going to do is on the human body.

First you watch the intro video-

This gives an overview and talks about what an organ is, which organs do what tasks. How they work together in systems. In the intro they go over the digestive, urinary, circulatory, respiratory, and skeletal systems. This takes about 15 minutes or so.

Next you can go on to more in depth lessons on the heart, lungs, or kidneys, in whichever order you want. I didn't take the time to listen through them, but my Dd really liked it and doesn't think the lessons lasted to long.

Next there’s a game that goes along with the lessons, it looks cute and again Dd really liked it.

Then you can print out an "observation" W.S. where using tofu you recreate digestion. My son will love it. There’s a Journal section, (sorry my browser froze up can't give details on that) Then lastly an online quiz.

I really think it's worth a try and for $15 you aren't losing much.

For a child who hadn't decided at the age of 5 he was going to be an Engineer, I think the program would work just fine as a very detailed intro for 3-5th graders. I would only add some library books (like eyewitness series) and a discussion and call it good. For those particular topics. There are only 33 sections/topics. Some things are bound to be missed. I'm going to try and post a list of the topics, if I can find an easily copied one.

HTH

Thanks so much! That actually sounds perfect for my "non-sciency" kids. It should make a nice general overview to get us through next year anyway. Thanks again!

So they listen to the main lesson and then they do 1-2 more supplemental lessons/activities. Then what? Do they answer questions or do quizzes online or is everything else printed out? Do you think it's detailed enough to give a general overview for 3rd and 4th grades? Neither of my kids are particularly science-oriented and I'm looking for something that will just give them a foundation on which to build in greater detail as they approach the middle school years.

If you visit the site, and click that you want to buy a program it will take you to the screen where you can preview the topics available. :)

Guest Lori Callister

Hi, I work at Learning.com, which offers Aha!Science - so glad your students all love it! For Quick Start Guides on how to create classes, assign curriculum and other management steps, do check out the Quick STart Guides for each product - look for the Question Mark (?) on the right side in the blue bar. Click on that for easy-to-follow videos and PDFs.