Menu

MFW & CLE LA, Math & Reading

amandajh

If we were to use MFW Creation to the Greeks next year, would it be too much work to add CLE LA and CLE reading? In the ECC teacher's book there are blank boxes to fill in your own math, English, and reading every day. I have been doing the MFW recommendations for LA (PLL and ILL), letting the kids read one chapter of a book of their choice, and using CLE math this year with ECC. I have not been happy with PLL and ILL so we are beginning CLE LA this week. I do not want to start CLE Reading at this point in time, but am thinking about using a reading program next year for 4th and 5th grades. Would using CLE LA and Reading add a lot of time to our day?

Have any of you used MFW and CLE for lang. arts, math, and reading? If so, about how long does it all take to get done?

I haven't used CLE for *everything* along with MFW, but we do use CLE English, and I do not use MFW recommendations for math at all. I don't find that it adds much time to our day at all. I think it's a good combo. The unit study part of Adventures will not take that much time, and adding the CLE to it won't be a big deal, IMO.

Hope this helps!

CLE reading grades 4 & up are half year courses if you use it everyday. We spread CLE reading over the entire year. Sometimes we did one CLE lightunit (3 wks) and then read a book, alternating CLE lightunits/book throughout the year; other times we would do CLE reading 2-3x's/wk and the other days read a book.

Use CLE reading in a way that will work for your family. You could also use one grade level of CLE reading with mutiple dc and do it together as a family (read the story aloud & orally answer the questions in the LU). You don't have to use every year/level of CLE reading to reap enormous benefits of this reading program.

What grade is your dc in?

CLE reading grades 4 & up are half year courses if you use it everyday. We spread CLE reading over the entire year. Sometimes we did one CLE lightunit (3 wks) and then read a book, alternating CLE lightunits/book throughout the year; other times we would do CLE reading 2-3x's/wk and the other days read a book.

Use CLE reading in a way that will work for your family. You could also use one grade level of CLE reading with mutiple dc and do it together as a family (read the story aloud & orally answer the questions in the LU). You don't have to use every year/level of CLE reading to reap enormous benefits of this reading program.

What grade is your dc in?

They are in grades 3 and 4 this year. However, my son (age 8) tested into grade 2 CLE math and language arts. He is a reluctant reader (and that is an understatement). He still struggles with reading and does not enjoy doing it himself. He loves to be read to, but does not like the work of reading for himself. This is one reason why I felt that a reading program might be helpful. Using narration is not helpful to him. He almost always says that he did not understand what he read and can't explain it.....:confused:

My daughter (age 10) tested in CLE math 300 and CLE language 400. She loves to read and I have no problems getting her to tell me ALL about what she reads everyday. However, when I ask her direct questions she sometimes has a problem answering them.

Anyway, I think what I am needing is a way to evaluate what they are getting from their reading. Or a way to make them put forth more effort? I think.....:confused: I'm not sure, but I don't feel that narration is going to work for us...esp. with my son.

Get him reading lots of books below his reading level. YES, below so he gets confidence and speed in reading. I wouldn't recommend CLE reading lightunits with him yet. Let him pick easy readers from the library.

CLE reading 4 would work well for your dd. I do recommend helping dc with CLE reading LU's until they are well into the program IF they struggle with it because it is challenging.

Get him reading lots of books below his reading level. YES, below so he gets confidence and speed in reading. I wouldn't recommend CLE reading lightunits with him yet. Let him pick easy readers from the library.

CLE reading 4 would work well for your dd. I do recommend helping dc with CLE reading LU's until they are well into the program IF they struggle with it because it is challenging.

Okay...that is what I needed to know. Thank you! I do not want to make him hate reading so we will continue to just read for now.