Menu

"FRESH" turkey or is it?

I asked my step-dad this last year. He deals with butchers all the time. According to him, many butchers do hundreds or thousands of birds at at time. As they are prepared, they either go directly into a freezer to keep them well chilled (a fridge is not going to do anything as the door is always opening) or they get transported in a truck with temperature controls. So it may still be "fresh" by some standards, and if it hadn't been frozen during that process, it'd probably spoil faster. We'd all like a fresh turkey that was slaughtered this morning, but that's pretty rare these days. Happy Thanksgiving!

My dad was a refridgerator truck driver and he delivered many 'fresh' turkeys over the years. It's like the other posters said, they have to be kept very cold in between being slaughtered and being bought. I think the only fresh non-frozen turkey you could hope for would be bought at the lot, killed there and immediately transported (by you) or else bought alive and killed by you.