Menu

Can I have a Thanksgiving vent also?

We planned Thanksgiving around a visit from my sister who lives 4 hours away. Meanwhile, we turned down the possibility of spending it with friends here locally, or other friends in another city.

Sis said she'd arrive Tuesday and have to leave Thursday evening (to be at work Friday morning). Then a few days ago she said she'd arrive by 1PM today. Then yesterday it was arrive by 3PM today. Just got a text from her saying she was held up but is now leaving. :confused: With traffic, it might take her as long as 6 hours to get here - so we're now looking at her arriving between 6 and 8PM. And she has to leave as soon as we have Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow.

I think she didn't want to come. If she didn't - she should have just said so and left us to make other plans with people who actually want to spend time with us.

We planned Thanksgiving around a visit from my sister who lives 4 hours away. Meanwhile, we turned down the possibility of spending it with friends here locally, or other friends in another city.

Sis said she'd arrive Tuesday and have to leave Thursday evening (to be at work Friday morning). Then a few days ago she said she'd arrive by 1PM today. Then yesterday it was arrive by 3PM today. Just got a text from her saying she was held up but is now leaving. :confused: With traffic, it might take her as long as 6 hours to get here - so we're now looking at her arriving between 6 and 8PM. And she has to leave as soon as we have Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow.

I think she didn't want to come. If she didn't - she should have just said so and left us to make other plans with people who actually want to spend time with us.

Though driving 12 hours round trip is quite the sacrifice if she didn't really want to come. I have no idea if she wants to be there or not, but if I really didn't want to go some place there is no way I'd drive 12 out of 24hrs on a guilt trip.

Though driving 12 hours round trip is quite the sacrifice if she didn't really want to come. I have no idea if she wants to be there or not, but if I really didn't want to go some place there is no way I'd drive 12 out of 24hrs on a guilt trip.

Thank you, Daisy, that is a good perspective. I am a little sensitive b/c she was supposed to come for a special event in June and canceled at the last minute (we haven't seen her since then). So I was *dreading* her canceling again, but you are right, it seems like a long drive if she'd really just rather cancel.

Thank you, Daisy, that is a good perspective. I am a little sensitive b/c she was supposed to come for a special event in June and canceled at the last minute (we haven't seen her since then). So I was *dreading* her canceling again, but you are right, it seems like a long drive if she'd really just rather cancel.

Siblings are crazy though. What can you do with them? My husband just shakes his head and quotes his favorite movie, "They are a breed apart and make no sense." :lol:

I vented too soon. Sis arrived in record time (apparently everyone is LEAVING our city for the holiday - she said the traffic was horrible going the opposite direction). We had a terrific visit last night. I'm so happy and thankful that she's here to celebrate with us today!

:hurray:

:party:

I wouldn't conclude too soon that she didn't want to come . She may be one of those people who have a hard time predicting the time things take. Her original time may have been overly optimistic and what she wanted, and this is the time that is realistic. ( I am one of those types who have a hard time estimating.)

I find that people get hurt more by what they imagine the motives of others to be than by the behaviors of others. If you think she might not have wanted to come, I would test that and give her freedom by saying something like: "It sounds like it was really hard for you to get the time to come. I hope you know that I wouldn't have wanted you to feel obligated to come if it just wasn't working." (If you actually feel that way.)