Menu

dd's shoulder keeps popping out

We went to the orthopedic surgeon today because dd's shoulder started popping out recently and it is causing her some discomfort. Not enough that she wants advil or stops dance or music, but enough that it is troublesome. He has sent her for PT 3x/week for the next 2 weeks to stabilize the joint so nothing pulls or tears farther. But, why would a healthy 11 year old girl who doesn't play sports have this problem? She is very flexible. He mentioned this several times. He is going to re-xray in 3 weeks and re-evaluate then....... Ideas????

Edited by HollyDay

I'm not sure, but it would make sense that your dd's situation is similar or like my dd's when she was younger, but it was her elbow that kept dislocating. When this happened, the pain was excruciating until it was placed in right. We had two different doctors tell us that everything was stretched out at that point and so it was popping out more easily. It started when we were in HI. We were told that if it continued to happen when we got home, she would need surgery. It happened two more times but she never needed surgery. I guess things tightened up and it healed.

Could something be loose now and so the shoulder is dislocating more easily?

Oh my. "Some discomfort" does not anywhere near describe how I feel when my shoulder "pops out". Trip to the emergency room with me trying my hardest not to scream and cryingsobbingmoaning. It's happened three time and all three times will be forever carved into my memory. Word has it that it takes four big men to "pop" it back in place. I wouldn't know because they have to drug me into another world to do the job.

I don't have any idea why someone that young would have a problem with that unless it was sports injury related?

The doc said she is what the grandparents used to call "double jointed". She is hyper flexible. Great for ballet and gymnastics, not so great for her joints. He kept remarking about how far her fingers could bend and how limber she is. From what I can understand, the PT is supposed to strengthen the shoulder muscles and keep the joint more stable. She is also in that pre-puberty growth spurt. I swear she gets taller from day to day.....This is just new to me. I'm finally getting a handle on older dd's allergies and eczema. Didn't expect this problem........