Menu

New to homeschooling and just found out about Awana

Hello,

I am fairly new to homeschooling and I just found out about Awana. It seems like an awesome program and looking forward to having my two children attend.

Just wondering, are there any other programs that would benefit homeschool children especially with socialization that may run in churches? just curious.

Thanks

Lilly

:001_smile:

Our church does AWANA and it's a really great program. My daughter (6) has learned SO many verses due to this program. She really looks forward to attending each Wednesday. And the plus side is that as my 3 year old listens in to us practicing the verses, she learns them too! She can say majority of Psalm 23 just from listening to DD6.

My kids do AWANA and participate in children's choir at our church. I really like choir because it gives them some choral music and performance exposure for free in addition to the private piano lessons they take. They do two musical shows a year. DS has a major part in the Christmas musical next Sunday so we are really looking foward to it. :)

Keep in mind that AWANA may vary from place to place due to differences in leadership. At our old church, although there was some Scripture memorization, most of the activity was centered around the games/sports aspect. Which is fine if that is what you expect, but IMO the congregation was given a slightly mistaken impression that it was mostly Scripture when it was actually mostly Tug-of-War.

Don't forget 4-H! I am the advisor of our county's homeschool 4-H club. We have a great time with all our various projects and since we are the only organized homeschool activity in our area, we seem to be the de facto homeschool mom support group also!