Menu

Anyone else from class of 2010 dc changed majors yet?

Blue Hen

DS went to school as a Chem E major cause he really didn't know which engineering field he wanted to go into. He knew he wanted engineering but just not which particular field. This fall he has been his dorm's tutor for math and CS, and did I share that he totally hates chemistry. He loves the Chem Prof for his chem class but has decided that he cannot stand the subject.

Last night DS called to say he switched his major to CS Engineering and he sounded so happy. He's also quite happy that his AP Chem test score now counts/equates to 8 chem credits & will satisfy some graduation requirement. He also feels that all his AP credits will now be really useful and permit him to add in a few other minors---such as biology and math. I'm happy he is at a school large enough that permits him to switch majors.

Oh, he explained that he finds computer programming just like building K'Nex and Lego structures that he so enjoyed as a kid. :) I never would have connected the two.

Anyone else's dc switched yet?

Carole

Mine hasn't switched, but going in he wasn't certain if he wanted business or economics as his 2nd major. I asked him the other night which he was leaning toward and he's now certain it's business. He loves accounting and while he's enjoying his economics classes, he feels the business classes are more useful overall.

His "main" major is still Community Development (International Track). Since he wants to be a microfinance manager he needs both the development major and either business or economics as he'll essentially be running a bank in an underdeveloped nation. He's still 100% positive that's what he wants to do in life. Time will tell.

Sometimes just taking the classes is what they need to better figure out their likes and dislikes.

No switch yet, but mutterings about doing single rather than joint honors because ''The Classics department is so much more fun than the English department."

This is hardly surprising as she's in advanced courses in the one and taking required survey courses in the other. We'll see what next semester brings...

~Moira

Not really a switch in majors, but a shift in interest. Dd went in planning on majoring in Cinema Media Comm, with a grudging second major or minor in English encouraged by Mom and Dad. She has always been good at writing, but was sure she wouldn't like all the lit classes. Lo and behold, turns out her favorite class and professor is in Lit/English! No more grumbling about the second major - at least this semester! Who knows what the future will hold!

Dd went in as collaborative piano and is now piano performance...but still accompanying. So, kind of minor...but looks better and prepares better for grad school...and adds another 6 hours per week of required practice!! She now has the same number of practice hours as she has academic hours.