Menu

3yo is teaching 2yo the alphabet

& 7yo is using Mayan numerals to answer her math today.

Honestly, I'd always aspired to being a weird homeschooler, but I was worried we might not ever arrive. ;)

BTW, Bill, I hate teaching the alphabet. The fact that these Leap Frog videos have not only taught 3yo her letters, sounds, (& she started reading CVC this week, too), but has also given her the ability to teach the 2yo so that I will never have to teach the alphabet again, is...wow. There just aren't words. THANK YOU!!!!

& 7yo is using Mayan numerals to answer her math today.

Honestly, I'd always aspired to being a weird homeschooler, but I was worried we might not ever arrive. ;)

BTW, Bill, I hate teaching the alphabet. The fact that these Leap Frog videos have not only taught 3yo her letters, sounds, (& she started reading CVC this week, too), but has also given her the ability to teach the 2yo so that I will never have to teach the alphabet again, is...wow. There just aren't words. THANK YOU!!!!

Those Leap Frog videos are solid gold, yes? :D

And how's MCT working out for you? :lol:

Bill (a newbie to Mayan numbers)

This is FABulous! What really caught my eye is the fact that your 7yo is answering math questions with Mayan numerals! Sounds like something my 12 yo would do! Isn't homeschooling wonderful!

I've been sick, so I let them play computer games--something they never get to do--& apparently they spent most of the day playing Mayan math.

Those Leap Frog videos are solid gold, yes? :D

And how's MCT working out for you? :lol:

Bill (a newbie to Mayan numbers)

Yes, solid gold. I haven't been able to convince anybody else to use them, but it's not for not trying. They actually call me for advice about reading, & when I tell them about the "Cartoon Road to Reading," they mumble something, hang up, & weeks later I learn that they got some boring book from the library that's not working. :glare:

MCT. I know you're kidding, but this is another opportunity to gush. My kids beg to stay up late to "play grammar." Dh came home late last night after working 48 hrs straight, & he said something that didn't make sense to 7yo. "Daddy," she said, "I think you just broke the heart of the sentence."

He opened his eyes & just gave me a look & then told her it was his sentence to break if he wanted to. (I think she just misunderstood him, but I was lol.)

And 9yo was complaining about having to mark the subj/pred in Latin yesterday because it was "too easy." Between MCT & Latin, he also wrote an outraged letter to the editor when Beechick wrote about how futile the study of Latin is. :lol: (7yo did, too, but hers read more like: "My BROTHER studies Latin, so OF COURSE it's GREAT.) :lol:

I *have* managed an MCT convert.

Bill, you should really have had kids earlier in life. It would make copying you so. much. easier. :D

Yes, solid gold. I haven't been able to convince anybody else to use them, but it's not for not trying. They actually call me for advice about reading, & when I tell them about the "Cartoon Road to Reading," they mumble something, hang up, & weeks later I learn that they got some boring book from the library that's not working. :glare:

The Cartoon Road to Reading :lol::lol::lol:

I'm wiping tears from my eyes. Too funny! :D

MCT. I know you're kidding, but this is another opportunity to gush. My kids beg to stay up late to "play grammar." Dh came home late last night after working 48 hrs straight, & he said something that didn't make sense to 7yo. "Daddy," she said, "I think you just broke the heart of the sentence."

He opened his eyes & just gave me a look & then told her it was his sentence to break if he wanted to. (I think she just misunderstood him, but I was lol.)

And 9yo was complaining about having to mark the subj/pred in Latin yesterday because it was "too easy." Between MCT & Latin, he also wrote an outraged letter to the editor when Beechick wrote about how futile the study of Latin is. :lol: (7yo did, too, but hers read more like: "My BROTHER studies Latin, so OF COURSE it's GREAT.) :lol:

I *have* managed an MCT convert.

Inspiring stories Aubrey :001_smile:

Bill

The Cartoon Road to Reading :lol::lol::lol:

I'm wiping tears from my eyes. Too funny! :D

You're kidding, right? *You* coined that phrase.

Dh's favorite joke is to quote the passage of the Bible that says, "Let there be no division in the body of Christ..." (He hates math.)

But I said something about it the other day, rolling my eyes, & he repeated it, laughing, saying he was going to have to remember that. :001_huh:

:lol:

You're kidding, right? *You* coined that phrase.

Oops. No wonder I found it so hysterical :lol:

Dh's favorite joke is to quote the passage of the Bible that says, "Let there be no division in the body of Christ..." (He hates math.)

But I said something about it the other day, rolling my eyes, & he repeated it, laughing, saying he was going to have to remember that. :001_huh:

Men :rolleyes:

Bill (typical)

Leapfrog Letter Factory is awesome....I'm stealing the name "Cartoon Road to Reading":lol::lol::lol: LOVE it!

...aspiring to be as weird as Aubrey...:D:tongue_smilie:

It's a long, long road; beware. (I dreamed I was a hieroglyph the other night. I'd face one way. Then I'd face another. Because, you know, hieroglyphs can do that.) :001_huh:

Leapfrog Letter Factory is awesome....I'm stealing the name "Cartoon Road to Reading":lol::lol::lol: LOVE it!

...aspiring to be as weird as Aubrey...:D:tongue_smilie:

:iagree:

I already bought them and set them aside for my 1-year-old. I watched the first one and thought, "This is pretty cute and not insipid like the average kids' video. I could stand to hear this a few hundred times without going insane." :lol:This is a crucial selling point in my opinion.

I think I even remember Mayan math from my 6th grade GT unit study, so we're well on our way.:D

:iagree:

I already bought them and set them aside for my 1-year-old. I watched the first one and thought, "This is pretty cute and not insipid like the average kids' video. I could stand to hear this a few hundred times without going insane." :lol:This is a crucial selling point in my opinion.

I think I even remember Mayan math from my 6th grade GT unit study, so we're well on our way.:D

Well, I haven't watched them, but I will tell you, I think the flash cards (& older sibs) are essential.

And I *love* how they teach the sounds: A is scared. So it screams, "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa" 2yo & 3yo looked at the card together today, looked at ea other, & screamed, "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa." :lol: I got it on videotape, too. :D