Menu

Sonlight/History of US question

clementine

I have never used Sonlight before, but I am interested in starting The History of US next year w/ my 4th & 6th gr. dds.

I have heard that the Core 100 is difficult & geared more toward 7th grade - but the History of US can be used w/ ages 9 & up.

Would I be smart just to make up my own curric. w/ The History of US - or get the Core 100 & go slow? Or....??

Any other suggestions are welcome. Thanks all - this is my first post, but I've been lurking for awhile. There seem to be plenty of wise members to gleen from :-)

I'll just mention that Biblioplan also schedules the History of US in its year 3 (volumes 2-5) and year 4 courses (vol. 6-10 I think). We will be doing this with an 8 year old, using History of US as a read aloud. Of course Biblioplan schedules many other books too, including SOTW, readers in 3 age brackets, and family read alouds. It does not include any discussion questions on the books. Whether or not Biblioplan meets your needs, it might help you just to know that other folks use History of US and use it with younger kids.

Is there a specific reason A History of US appeals to you right now? Personally, for 4th and 6th, I would chose something else...like Winter Promises The American Crossing I which is a new curriculum set for 4th -7th grades. ;) It looks fun! Very Charlotte Masony. :D

I have used SL's Core 100 and it was excellent...our very favorite SL Core. We used it for our 9th/10th grade American History credit and just added in a few more difficult readers (my boys were in 9th and 10th grades). I personally would wait and use SL's Core 100 when your children are in, say, 7th and 9th grades (if you want to keep them working together). I personally see no reason to use it now when there are other options available at grade level.

BUT, if you really are set on using A History of US now...many do. :D You could write your own curriculum, picking and choosing your read-alouds and/or readers from the SL catalog.

Winter Promise's American Story II (AS II), which I used this year, has a corresponding A History of US reading schedule to use along side AS II. I imagine they have a list to go with AS I as well. So that is something to consider. AS I is geared for grades 1-3, but 4th graders could do the reading themselves of all the Winter Promise history books (all interesting books!) while you read the A History of US books, and the Adventure Readers (read-alouds), to them. My son who is in 5th has read all the AS II history books and has loved them. I purchased the middler add on set as well and have used many of those books. Not sure how your 6th grader would fare though. She could, of course, read all the books but they would be decidedly beneath her grade level. ;)

I wonder if the new American Crossing set comes with a corresponding A History of US schedule?

I am really not helping am I? Just rattling on and on. :001_huh:

I'm sure better advice than mine will filter in. :D

I guess I have lots to think about this summer as I plan for History -

I need to look into both of your suggestions. Thank you! I really hope that I'll be able to pick a plan & be HAPPY with what I pick. My girls are really easy to please, so that isn't an issue.

Too many options isn't always a good/easy thing :-)

On the SL forums they would recommend you use Core 3 and 4. If you look at the co-spine, Landmark History of the US you will find it is listed as a Read Aloud for grades 5 to adult. I have the book and it is very engaging for adult audiences, so I don't think it would leave your kids bored. Or you could use Core 3+4.

I am reading History of the US right now to my oldest. I even bought the Core 100 notes, but to date the bias was either obvious I dealt with it on the spot or it is such a minor issue I don't care. We are on book 5, so maybe there is an issue with a coming book? Basically I am still trying to figure out why these texts have such a reputation of not being a good choice for younger kids on the SL forums.

Heather

I think you could do either, largely depends on your kids and their level of reading, research skills, etc. We have not found SL to be hard at all. I got a lot of grief on the SL board when I asked about more advanced readers for Core 7, dd finds many of SL titles too easy (same story over and over). The kid reads classic like Rebecca for fun. So, really I think either would be fine. Beef up Core 3/4 or tone down 100.

What do you mean you got a lot of grief? Could you explain?

One of the ladies was a bit harsh and really did nothing to help in my request. If she disagreed with me about whether the readers and spines were challenging enough (SOTW, which we had already done), all she needed to do was say so, but she kinda attacked me. I probably over reacted a bit, but I was shocked at her tone. So, I don't tend to look for support over there, just lurk. You can read the thread (World History in Depth). I think it's been a couple months, I'm "aljen". This is a much more friendly board, at least I have felt so over the last five years.

I thought about 'beefing up' the 3/4 - by using History of US and adding in the core 100 readers. That seems like it would be a good mix.

Would you recommend purchasing 3/4 from Sonlight or just piecing it together myself. We're really eclectic in all of our other curric., but I thought it might be nice to have a ready-made plan done for me (for once). :) It just seems kind of spendy when I look at it as a whole. Even buying the teacher's guide alone is crazy $.

Thanks again, ladies. You'd think that w/ 6 years under our belts I wouldn't feel so clueless about taking the next step :-)

One of the ladies was a bit harsh and really did nothing to help in my request. If she disagreed with me about whether the readers and spines were challenging enough (SOTW, which we had already done), all she needed to do was say so, but she kinda attacked me. I probably over reacted a bit, but I was shocked at her tone. So, I don't tend to look for support over there, just lurk. You can read the thread (World History in Depth). I think it's been a couple months, I'm "aljen". This is a much more friendly board, at least I have felt so over the last five years.

:iagree:Sorry about your experience.

You know Laurie is one of my favorite people on SL, but it did take time to get used to her. She comes across as very to the point, pulling no punches. Just blunt. Blunt and opinionated too boot! But she really does mean well.

But, if I remember right from my SL days (used to live on the choosing forum making schedules), Core 300 is recommended for 16 and older because of the adult lit, not because of the spine text. Yep, the more I think of it that was lit. Many people have used it with younger kids but they replaced key titles in the lit. If you are still considering that possibility they I would suggest you contact Heidi in VA about it. She has used SL for a lot time and could give you a good perspective, but she only hits the forums off and on, so she might have missed your post.

Heather

That's manly why I don't post there; I have no problems letting my daughter read the bks listed in the 300 level core. I respect that most there would not agree. I have found a more diverse population here, over the years. I still read the SL boards and enjoy the ideas found there; I just don't ask questions. I'm still paying around with mixing SL & Trisms, but the more I think about it, the more it seems easier to just stick with SL 7, and beef it up with outside spines and extra readers (many from 200 & 300).

I do thank you though for sharing the info about Heidi. :001_smile: