Menu

Do you do the indepth history readings in TOG?

Zee

My understanding is that it is optional unless you are doing the Honors Rhetoric program, is that correct?

I can only speak from using classic TOG at the moment..... but the optional is just that.... *Ü* but... in saying that, I am finding that in Dialect and Rhetoric levels in the classic the optional readings are where a lot of the answers to the questions are....

If you are using redesign.... I do not know how to answer yet.... we have not used it as of yet....

Yes, I'm using the Redesign. It seems some weeks we have more time than others for exploring. I'm just trying to figure out if I want to buy the indepth books that aren't available at the library. Because I have only one child, I hate to buy what we may not have time to read. Having said that, we will be using the Dialectic level next year and that's good to know about the answers. Maybe I just need to consider that not optional, unless we are too pressed for time. I suppose I could assign unread books for "fun," no pressure, summer reading. I just don't want to waste money. :-P

Yes, I'm using the Redesign. It seems some weeks we have more time than others for exploring. I'm just trying to figure out if I want to buy the indepth books that aren't available at the library. Because I have only one child, I hate to buy what we may not have time to read. Having said that, we will be using the Dialectic level next year and that's good to know about the answers. Maybe I just need to consider that not optional, unless we are too pressed for time. I suppose I could assign unread books for "fun," no pressure, summer reading. I just don't want to waste money. :-P

I do not think you have to worry about the questions not being answerd in the regular readings... I think this was one of the fixs for redesign..... *Ü* I can only speak from using classic... and it is a problem we have sometimes....

I know what you mean about over buying books that you might not get too! I have a bunch of those.... but then, we have the next round to still get to them. *Ü*

We're only in our 3rd week (we waited on Unit 3 Redesigned of Year 2 to begin TOG); so far my D students are doing the In-depth reading but my UG student is not. It is too much for her to add that to the History Core and Literature.

Is your student UG, Zee? (I'm thinking that he/she must be because you said that you'll be doing the D work next year.) All my UG is doing so far is the above two readings and mapwork. Over the next couple of weeks we'll add in some of the activities of her choosing and I'm hoping she'll be ready to work on her lapbook a little. But with TOG at this level, I'm just wanting her to enjoy history. I remember Marcia saying on one of the TOG marketing CDs that UG students pretty much just do their work (readings, mostly) by themselves as much as possible, freeing up Mom to teach any little ones to read, etc., and to have time to discuss with the older students. That is pretty much how it is working in our household so far.

My son is in 5th and we are doing UG for history and Dialectic for Literature. I will move him completely over to the the Dialectic level in the fall. It will take a bit to get used to the Accountability and thinking questions, but otherwise he is largely ready. I thought the rest of the year would be good to start transitioning him there. Having him complete the Dialectic literature readings and assignments is a start, and I'm keeping the history readings at the UG level. He does all the reading on his own. He's a strong reader (just started Lord of the Rings today for fun). This week has gone well, but I see there is a LOT of reading overall, depending on what we choose to do next year. I think this year I've already mapped out all the readings we will do. I guess it's largely next year I'm thinking about.

My son is in 5th and we are doing UG for history and Dialectic for Literature. I will move him completely over to the the Dialectic level in the fall. It will take a bit to get used to the Accountability and thinking questions, but otherwise he is largely ready. I thought the rest of the year would be good to start transitioning him there. Having him complete the Dialectic literature readings and assignments is a start, and I'm keeping the history readings at the UG level. He does all the reading on his own. He's a strong reader (just started Lord of the Rings today for fun). This week has gone well, but I see there is a LOT of reading overall, depending on what we choose to do next year. I think this year I've already mapped out all the readings we will do. I guess it's largely next year I'm thinking about.

It does sound like he's a strong reader. He could very well be ready for all the D history reading next year. My two boys are strong readers as well and don't struggle with their work load.

My UG student is not quite as strong a reader; she's had some visual problems in the past and is just now able to handle quite a bit of reading. So we're taking an easier path with her.