Menu

What would you recommend for a girl who...

is very imaginative and likes to organize events. I'm talking talent shows, band and circus performances, etc. She can talk for hours about costumes, selling tickets, making brochures, designing the stage, planning menus and items for raffles. I want to encourage her in an appropriate way, because to be honest, she's ready to perform in a band next week yet she can't play an instrument. :lol: Does anyone have any ideas on how to funnel all this stuff into something? Any ideas are appreciated.

Any volunteer opportunities at local theaters? The arts are hurting and they'd probably love someone with her vision and energy.

ETA: Just realized she's 11. :) Our local theater allows younger kids to usher and other small duties.

Edited by Mejane

Odyssey of the Mind - International organization for teams of kids to compete in creative challenges.

Ages range from Division I (K-5) to college age teams. Teams form and meet throughout the school year to create a solution to one of that year's problems. Problems range from technical (balsa wood or vehicles) to dramatic (create a play to meet certain criteria).

All work must be done by the kids. I coached teams for several years. The kids chose the problem, created a solution, wrote the play, made their own props, sets and costumes.

The tournament in the spring judges their long-term problem and a spontaneous problem that they receive the day of the tournament.

Teams can go on to state and international competion.

We put on shows, all the time. Here's how it works in our crowd.

One kid comes up with an idea - perhaps a particular story, or a certain theme, or whatever. They are usually in charge of their event. With their mom, they set up several dates - every Thursday afternoon for five weeks, or whatever. The kids come over and work on it, and on the last day put on their show, mostly for parents and siblings.

As moms, the idea is to facilitate without taking over. The hardest part of the job is reining in unrealistic expectations. (No, we can't shoot the movie on location at six different places. We can use the backyard, the basement, and the kitchen, plus a nearby friend's house.) I make sure the other moms know that this will be a child-led event, so not to expect professional results, and also not to invest lots of money in the perfect costume or what-have-you. Most moms (and dads if they can) take the event seriously and show up for it, as they would for a school play. The kids communicate between meetings to organize who-does-what. Expect other kids to want input - "I only want to be in it if I can be a princess" sort of thing - so your child can write a princess in, or dialog with the other kid to come to a compromise.

We've done this during the school year, and also put on "make a movie camp" for a week in the summer. For the summer events, we've brought in teens who had an interest in part of the process to help facilitate. One year we did The Wizard of Oz as a modern movie musical with a cast of about 20, three teen helpers, and a week in the summer. Work, yes, but so worth it. Of course, we worked up to that! On a smaller scale, we've done plays, dance shows, and stuff like that.

The biggest problem is that some parents don't take it seriously - more the neighborhood kids than the homeschoolers. You just have to plan for that.